How to hold Arena rank

DapperDanMan
22 posts Member
edited March 2016
I'm F2P and have been playing on a server since early Jan. I've finally caught up to the spenders and have been finishing #1 in Arena over 50% of the time. My Arena lineup is;
Phasma (L)
Sid
Lumi
Daka
GS

All max gear and starred. Now that I know that I have a squad capable of beating almost any team a very high percentage of the time, my fascination is finding a line-up that drops the least in rank. Minimizing your arena rank drop is now my priority since I'm convinced anyone in the top 20-30 on our server has a team good enough to be #1.

My theory on how to minimize arena rank drop is based on two ideas. 1) have toons that are easy for AI to control (no yoda, not that I own him anyway), and 2) pick a team that creates a RNG gamble that people aren't willing to take.

With that in mind, it was a definite change when I introduced A 7*daka in the lineup. Even if she's not the strongest toon, she can create nightmare RNG scenarios that people choose to avoid. However, I recently made another change to my line-up based on this theory and it seems to be working. I dropped Phasma and put in Storm Trooper Han. What this does is make opponents pick their poison. Either kill Daka first and let Han taunt and run is turn meter manipulation or kill Han and run the risk that Daka revives him.

It's only been 24 hours since I made the change but I woke up to see I had only dropped to #3. I know the team is beatable (any team is beatable) but again my focus is finding a team that people choose to avoid.

What are your guys feedback and thoughts on this change and overall theory?

Replies

• Bax_Itara
    96 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've heard from a number of high level players that adding the RNG element is really the only way to improve the defense. If the RNG doesn't pan out in your favor, you were more than likely going to lose anyways because offense trumps defense 95% of the time anyway. If the RNG does work out for you, then great, that's one less loss, and you are less likely to be targeted by that player again.

I have included Daka in my lineup since I unlocked her, and I doubt I would ever take her off my team. To help boost her chances of getting stuns, I run an assist team with GS and IG-86 (will make QGJ the leader once he's starred up).
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options
    How to prevent losing ranks in arena :

- You don't.

Most people will beat you when you're defending. That's just how it is.
    The only thing you can do is run RNG-heavy teams, and pray.
  • Options
    I remember in the early days of this game, nobody paid attention to St Han but now he's really prevalent. I decided to get some Rebel characters, woe to me I went for Ackbar first rather than Han :(

I think from what you said - run Daka plus other 'first turn targets' like Han, or glass cannons like Rey/FOTP. That's definitely the best way to not drop ranks, I agree with you

#IhateDaka
  • Options
    Sikho wrote: »

- You don't.

I agree that there is no way to prevent rank drop. But as an example, when I'm a rank 8, I don't really care if I beat #4 or #5 because I can challenge number 1 from either position. So I will choose the team between those two that I know I have a higher chance of beating.

My question is what line-ups do you run and what do you guys do to prevent people from choosing you in those types of situations?

• Options
    I remember in the early days of this game, nobody paid attention to St Han but now he's really prevalent. I decided to get some Rebel characters, woe to me I went for Ackbar first rather than Han :(

I think from what you said - run Daka plus other 'first turn targets' like Han, or glass cannons like Rey/FOTP. That's definitely the best way to not drop ranks, I agree with you

#IhateDaka

Only issue I have with Han(one guy runs him in my top 20 so good for attacking I assume) He taunts, my IG 86 goes next and has either advantage or Offense up or both depending what build I'm running. Han is a 1 shot kill by a maxed 86 with any buffing at all 9/10
  • Sikho
    1088 posts Member
    Options

- You don't.

I agree that there is no way to prevent rank drop. But as an example, when I'm a rank 8, I don't really care if I beat #4 or #5 because I can challenge number 1 from either position. So I will choose the team between those two that I know I have a higher chance of beating.

My question is what line-ups do you run and what do you guys do to prevent people from choosing you in those types of situations?

Once again, RNG-heavy teams are a pain in the a**. I usually avoid them.
    I saw a team of Phasma L, Dooku, Daka, ST Han, and Fives the other day. No way I'm fighting that.

I also usually avoid Rey. F*ck that girl and her staff.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    I also usually avoid Rey. F*ck that girl and her staff.
    :lol: ... k, guess i really have to farm her! :tongue:
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Options
    Right now, anyways, Rey can be killed off easily with Geo's assist attack. If I face her and Daka is on the enemy team, I just hope she isn't revived
  • Options
    Bax_Itara wrote: »
    Right now, anyways, Rey can be killed off easily with Geo's assist attack. If I face her and Daka is on the enemy team, I just hope she isn't revived

I agree, I don't really fear Rey, 88, or FOTP because they're dead before the can do anything.
  • Wrathe
    198 posts Member
    Options
    My actual team is:
    (L) Phasma 7*
    Daka 6*
    Dooku 5*
    QGJ 5*
    Lumi 7*

Despite having lower ranked char's, I don't get picked on too much and don't need to run an O team and a D team to try and hold. I presume it's the RNG nightmare of Daka, as well as the stun control that keeps people from picking on me much.

Debating on adding Ventress in for someone for even more stun control, be something I play w/ to see how it feels.
  • Options
    Team doesn't matter, every team is easily beatable in Arena, defence is a joke, don't compromise your team trying.

The best way to prevent rank loss is to try and aim for the less desirable ranks. For example you are less likely to be attacked at rank 101 than rank 100 due to the reward divide. Similarly you are less likely to be attacked at rank 100 than rank 90 as 100 is tentative and easier to lose reward level.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wrathe wrote: »
    my focus is finding a team that people choose to avoid.

I think that could be a good thing, but only when ppl can actually choose to avoid fighting you. So if you are top 6 it doesn't really matter, opponents have little choice but to fight you if they want to rank up.

Res non verba
  • Options
    Does anyone know if we will be able to have a "defense team" in the future?
  • Options
    I always avoid teams with Daka, Royal Guard, any other tank, 86 and GS... It's very hard for me to kill DAKA before Royal guard gets a taunt. I am still low level though (level 60) so I see the lower level teams in arenas.