Is the arena getting too boring?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    Liath wrote: »
    I don’t recall the arenas ever being fun. Basically it’s meta shift, fight the same team. Meta shift, fight the new same team. Meta shift.... so it’s boring because it’s the same 5 on 5 format every day, against the same people and teams. The only variety comes from a meta shift. Personally if I didn’t have to do arena battles for daily or achievements, I’d avoid it like the plague. I know, crystals! One can actually play the game and NOT use them.

You don’t have to do them though. You can just enter and forfeit, or toss it on auto and put it down. I guess if you’re trying to get that 10k arena wins achievement in like 5 more years you have to try to win them but... that seems like a pretty strange thing to care about if you hate arena that much.

I know how I can play the game, this ain't my first rodeo. As for the achievo, not like the rewards with it are amazing for the effort put forth, will come in time. But my point is making it mandatory may not a good idea for some players and that the format is essentially the same, but different teams.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    This post came out when revan dropped 2x.... Prob had revan first time.... wants to whale the new thing so they can go back to autoing...

Gotta give F2P one month at least to have the taste of thetop.....it could change em to spenders once they get a taste...
  • Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    This post came out when revan dropped 2x.... Prob had revan first time.... wants to whale the new thing so they can go back to autoing...

Gotta give F2P one month at least to have the taste of thetop.....it could change em to spenders once they get a taste...

The first hit is free
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options

The first hit is free

always
  • Options

Wrong, never paid for Revan the 1st time and will fall short of getting him this time as I am short on Mission shards. I personally don't really like arena and am running a Bossk BH team in the Arena just to be different. It won't get me higher than 200 but I don't fall below 350 either so I am fine there just to be different. I just find even in the 200's it is the same team over and over again and it is dull.
  • Options
    Objakenodi wrote: »
    With each introduced character/ship becoming a meta I have to ask is the arena too boring. With the Falcon released all the top slots in fleet arena are Home one, Biggs, Falcon and hounds tooth in some faction or another. then with the 2nd coming of Revan almost everyone in top 50 are Revan teams. i do not know about anyone else but battling the same battles over and over again are not fun. i miss the days when I started and everyone had different characters so it ws uncommon to hit the same lineup twice in a day. Too bad they do not give bonuses for uniqueness of lineup the encourage people to switch it up a bit. And before someone says well the Next release will knock down Revan that does not solve the issue everyone will go to the lineup and those who don't have the characters there Revan teams just get pushed down farther on the list so you will still have a lot just in lower spots .

I Completely disagree! Yes Revan dominates right now but I can easily place top 10 with chew crew and 3P0, it's all a matter of mods! I am a veteran player not a whale so I'm not paying my way to the top. There are also a number of Treya teams other CLS Finn leads and even an NS team in my top 50. I actually think the devs have done a great job of making multiple viable teams for squad arena. Normally the Meta is the Meta, 50 identical teams at the top and that is not the case. As for the new toon that comes out making Revan look weak... That's the game! If they didn't release new meta toons the game would get stale very quickly as has happened in the past. This game is not all about arena, as someone who has played for over 3 years I can assure one thing the devs have done is consistantly create new uses for characters by continuously creating new areas of the game to play. Having said all that, Revan is a pain to all and I look forward to his downfall... Bring on sith lord Jar Jar

As a veteran player myself, i’d like to say that no, the accessibility of not-so-meta teams like cls-chewie-c3po is limited to veterans players. Most of the non-veterans have issues unlocking them.

But yes, revan is a pain to all including revan teams.
  • Bevel_Lemelisk
    202 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I kind of wish there was an arena that played like fantasy football where you have a salary cap. So you cannot take in more than 80K of gp. Or have the game ranked and each toon has a point value and you only get so many points. So if Someone has someone strong like Revan they may have to put in a underused Plo Koon or Ima-Gun Di as a 5th Jedi to balance out the points and have the team allowed. To me this would be interesting and a lot more strategy.
  • Options
    I kind of wish there was an arena that played like fantasy football where you have a salary cap. So you cannot take in more than 80K of gp. Or have the game ranked and each toon has a point value and you only get so many points. So if Someone has someone strong like Revan they may have to put in a underused Plo Koon or Ima-Gun Di as a 5th Jedi to balance out the points and have the team allowed. To me this would be interesting and a lot more strategy.

This... do a cap at 80gp. Call it a league or season. Have season in which 50gp is cap or 70, just change it up. Ditch Grand arena.
  • Options
    I used to run my JTR squad in the arena but then changed to Traya & Co but have to admit I did find it a tad boring. So I recently changed to CLS/RH/R2/Baze & Chewie. I can't climb as high and can get battered around a bit at times but for me it's a hell of a lot more fun.

For me to want to go in and do my 5 fights a day the team I am running has to be fun and enjoyable to use but of course, as with everything in life, YMMV
  • Options
    Arena is boring since the beginning but as it is the 1st source of crystals we play it. Remove crystals and players will run far away. (same reason for fleet‚ they added crystals to make it interesting)
  • Options
    Jos33680 wrote: »
    Arena is boring since the beginning but as it is the 1st source of crystals we play it. Remove crystals and players will run far away. (same reason for fleet‚ they added crystals to make it interesting)

Fleet arena continues to be an easy mode especially on younger shards. If u have 5* **** and HT u wont even drop out of top 20
  • Jubai
    112 posts Member
    Options
    Short answer, Yes, super boring and frustrating. No matter how good your team is
  • Jubai
    112 posts Member
    Options
    It is built on people ego of wanting to be the best and willing to pay for it. All I am saying is if more teams were close and the result depended on your skill on how to use the squad it would be more fun for me. Like if they were to Release Darth Revan don't make him Stronger than a Revan Team but make him the same so if the AI was doing the battle it would have a 50% of winning. Then With a Separatist rework again make it so they could beat a Revan but Revan could also beat them depending on game play. Just saying diversity is the spice of life and if something is too bland people will move on.

I totally agree . CG just dont want to put in the effort to rework the other character's.
  • Options
    Yes, would be cool if the crystal rewards were taken away from arena and places somewhere more interesting and fun. Then all the Revans could just stay in top 50 and touch each others lightsabers.
    I only play for over a year now and most of the time was top50 with an underdog Rebel team. Even EP Meta was ok, since there were still many different teams in top 50 and it was beatable to a degee (before Chewie and even CLS - now its easy ofc.). It's not the problem, that I can't beat Revan with my Rebels without C3P0. The problem is, that he is so silly overpowered, that really everybody plays him to be competitive, and its an absolute boring sight. And there are only rocks left. No papers to cut with the scissor.
  • Options
    I miss the old days too. My first team I used was Plasma(L),Daka,EwokElder,Shore Trooper And Yoda I think.

It was much more diverse back then. Once Chaze was added the power creep began. Now I think the power creep has gone too far to return back unless old toons are reworked so they can become high end arena ready.

Arena is boring...sadly unless you want to spend money you gotta get the best rank you can for payout or just progress at a snails pace.

As for the current Revan meta: I hate it with a passion. I’ll have days were I beat other squads easy and other days I’ll either time out or lose.

Jolee is a cancer in arena. Revan mirror matches are some of the worst matches of all time when it comes to “meta”. I’m so ready for something to come around and kill the current meta. I’m so sick of the extra protection/revive/savior/heal every time a toon moves.

This April makes 3 years I’ve been competitive in arena top 20.The drive to progress my roster and patiently waiting on Jedi Luke are the only things that keep me from just settling for lower ranks and quitting the game. I’m ready for a new meta so bad. Hopefully soon. Revan has been meta since end of October so a little over 3 months I’m guessing.

Changing the meta more often would help with the monotony.
  • Options
    Nothing better than seeing G9 Revans destroy full blown g12+ teams that aren't Revan. My arena shard was pretty diverse but now it's just Revans everywhere and that's it. And people complained about the Traya/Ep/Sith meta. At least your seen different teams or here in arena. Sure, you see a couple cls/ns/Traya still but not for long because Revans are fighting anything non Revan for the easy auto win. I can't wait for this meta to end and this is the very reason I'm skipping it all together. I'd rather drop than be forced to use this amazing cheese team.
  • Options
    This thread reminds me of the old chow hall back in 'Nam at Camp Radcliff. When we established Camp Radcliff, the engineers first built the sleep tents, latrines, chopper pads for the Hueys, and a chow hall. That was it. Day after day, it was the same old thing. It was as mundane as could be for those first few months. I got tired of playing pinochle with Lefty, Cooper, and Duke in the chow hall after meals. There wasn't anything else to do, or anywhere else to go. Duke was a terrible card player, and I always got stuck playing on his team. He smelled like a mixture of soured orange juice and burnt cauliflower (which was baffling, since we had neither at the Camp). He blamed it on a chemical imbalance, but I think he just had poor hygiene. But I digress.

Over time, as more folks from the 1st Cav came in, the Camp grew. They built a horsehoe pit, a dojo, a gym, and a rec tent within a few months. The rec tent was great. It had a few dart boards to start off, and later some ping pong tables. And they even brought in a foosball table for all of the uppity chopper pilots. I have very fond memories of some of the fights the foosball table caused, especially when the supply Chinooks would come in and those aftershave-wearing, hair-combed, softie cargo pilots would expect us to let them in as we were hustling the flight line mechanics for smokes. I chipped a tooth in one of those fights. He needed 8 stitches to sew up his eyebrow. That was a good night.

But the chow hall remained the same for the most part. As the camp became more established, the food at the chow hall got better. The supply lines became more secure, and we were able to get new menu items in every so often. There was more variety. It wasn't the same old creamed chipped beef for three meals a day. Some guys liked the creamed chipped beef, so they stuck with it when they could. Some guys moved from new item to new item as they came in. By the time the 1st Cav moved out in the beginning of '68, there was a full menu of options to pick from.

The chow tent never was the hangout place that it was when we first built Camp Radcliff. The base grew as more people arrived, and there were plenty of other places to go smell Duke's cauliflower breath and lose pinochle games. But the chow hall was the place everyone went to go to eat. It was the only place to eat. There was no getting around it. And it was nice. Except for the days the cooks served liver and onions. That wasn't so nice.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of the old chow hall back in 'Nam at Camp Radcliff. When we established Camp Radcliff, the engineers first built the sleep tents, latrines, chopper pads for the Hueys, and a chow hall. That was it. Day after day, it was the same old thing. It was as mundane as could be for those first few months. I got tired of playing pinochle with Lefty, Cooper, and Duke in the chow hall after meals. There wasn't anything else to do, or anywhere else to go. Duke was a terrible card player, and I always got stuck playing on his team. He smelled like a mixture of soured orange juice and burnt cauliflower (which was baffling, since we had neither at the Camp). He blamed it on a chemical imbalance, but I think he just had poor hygiene. But I digress.

Over time, as more folks from the 1st Cav came in, the Camp grew. They built a horsehoe pit, a dojo, a gym, and a rec tent within a few months. The rec tent was great. It had a few dart boards to start off, and later some ping pong tables. And they even brought in a foosball table for all of the uppity chopper pilots. I have very fond memories of some of the fights the foosball table caused, especially when the supply Chinooks would come in and those aftershave-wearing, hair-combed, softie cargo pilots would expect us to let them in as we were hustling the flight line mechanics for smokes. I chipped a tooth in one of those fights. He needed 8 stitches to sew up his eyebrow. That was a good night.

But the chow hall remained the same for the most part. As the camp became more established, the food at the chow hall got better. The supply lines became more secure, and we were able to get new menu items in every so often. There was more variety. It wasn't the same old creamed chipped beef for three meals a day. Some guys liked the creamed chipped beef, so they stuck with it when they could. Some guys moved from new item to new item as they came in. By the time the 1st Cav moved out in the beginning of '68, there was a full menu of options to pick from.

The chow tent never was the hangout place that it was when we first built Camp Radcliff. The base grew as more people arrived, and there were plenty of other places to go smell Duke's cauliflower breath and lose pinochle games. But the chow hall was the place everyone went to go to eat. It was the only place to eat. There was no getting around it. And it was nice. Except for the days the cooks served liver and onions. That wasn't so nice.

And there it is. We've not had a 'Nam analogy in quite a long time. Thank you Droids!
  • Options
    Klocko wrote: »

And there it is. We've not had a 'Nam analogy in quite a long time. Thank you Droids!

There was a guy in my first guild that told prison stories. That was back just after raids and guilds started.