QOL suggestion: Decouple payouts from the clock

My schedule is ever-changing. Some days I can play only in the morning, some days I can play only in the evening. I should be able to climb as high as possible in arena at whatever time of day and get rewarded for that climb, even if my rank falls by payout time. I should not have to try to coordinate my gameplay with the payout time. Many days it is impossible for me to do so.

So here’s my suggested fix - payouts should be based on the highest rank achieved since the previous payout. Players can then climb whenever they have the time to play, without having to try to adjust their schedule to fit the game. And, no, being able to change my time zone does not help. My schedule is variable - no one time would be best for me. Plus, changing time zones also changes energy drops and store refresh times as well, potentially making them very very inconvenient (like the middle of the night). I suspect my suggested change would also reduce - if not eliminate - the collusion at the top of arena shards (I know some people will say there is no collusion - but there definitely is).

In summary - instead of payouts being determined by the rank at the payout time, it should be based on the highest rank acheived since the previous payout.

Replies

• Options
    This idea has been brought up numerous times. Consensus is that it would increase the number of crystals that get paid out daily in arenas and that would likely be a no go for CG.
  • Options
    Counter-proposal: payout is based on your average rank since last payout.
  • Options

Terrible idea. No desire to be glued to arena 24 hours a day to maintain position.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

That would make it mathematically impossible to get 1st place rewards...
  • Options
    CamaroAMF wrote: »
    This idea has been brought up numerous times. Consensus is that it would increase the number of crystals that get paid out daily in arenas and that would likely be a no go for CG.

This could very well be true. However, I think the impact of this is overestimated. The people at the top of most arena shards - who win the most crystals - are likely the people who already spend the most money on the game. This shatters the premise that more crystals won = less money spent. So, the notion that awarding more crystals would reduce the spending on the game seems erroneous to me. Additionally, if the change kept more people engaged, which I think it would, it would be an overall benefit. And if I am wrong, CG could adjust the payouts accordingly.

The bigger obstacle to me would seem to be that it would require a reprogramming of the payout system. Instead of a check on rankings once per hour, it would require the system to keep track of the highest rank acheived. That could be a large rewrite in the underlying code (I have no idea, I’m not a programmer). But the QOL improvement would be so dramatic I think it would be worth it.