My time with HMF and why I think it's the worst thing ever released.

Prev1
Salacious_B_Crumb
144 posts Member
edited February 2019
So, I've had the opportunity now to fully digest the damage done by the release of Han's Millennium Falcon and I have to say it's not just lazy design, it's flat out bad design. Let's be honest Rebel ships are lack luster and almost worthless right now. In fact if you can kill HMF quick they go right back to being bad at space, but what makes HMF really bad is that you can use a completely half kittened fleet to take out a fully maxed out one. I'm talking g8 and below pilots, no ship omegas. I understand these terrorists needed a boost, but it should still take an equally prepared fleet to win against a fully prepared and well formed fleet. What this says to me is that CG doesn't care about all the time and attention I have put into my fleets in order to make it to the top of my fleet arena ladder. I for one will not be using this lazy crutch of a ship, because that's exactly what it is a crutch. You take it out and the fleet just topples to the floor. Can we try a little harder next time and create something that improves without artificially inflating a faction?
/endrant

-The Gentleman, Salacious B Crumb
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• Options
    *gets removed for the kittens* 😂

Yeah HMF is way too OP
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It's honestly laughable how easy the rebel fleets are to deal with once the Falcon is dead.

It took a few different key ships to make a Mace timeout squad that had enough synergy to hold it's own. Even the first few metas in ships didn't rely heavily on one ship, they had multiple ships that were necessary to have Biggs continue to regen protection. Even HT when first released didn't just instantly drag a terrible fleet up to the top, you still needed offensive power of your own to get past the other teams tanks.

Falcon just does everything for the rebel fleets, but needs rebels to be there in order to attack more and more. Falcon goes away and the rebels are all immediately bad again.
  • Options
    Exactly. It makes Rebels into the Glass Cannon they are meant to be. If you don't deal with HMF quickly, you will get overwhelmed by the damage output.
  • Options
    Just use his son's ship and stun (kill) him lol.
  • Options
    What this says to me is that CG doesn't care about all the time and attention I have put into my fleets in order to make it to the top of my fleet arena ladder.

The meta in the game has changed many times over the years. That's the nature of the game. If the new stuff didn't top the old stuff, then no one would get the new stuff....no money would be spent....and there would be no game. Anyone who thinks they can just put together a meta team and they'll be able to sit on their hands and dominate with that team for a couple of years is sadly mistaken.
  • Options
    What this says to me is that CG doesn't care about all the time and attention I have put into my fleets in order to make it to the top of my fleet arena ladder.

The meta in the game has changed many times over the years. That's the nature of the game. If the new stuff didn't top the old stuff, then no one would get the new stuff....no money would be spent....and there would be no game. Anyone who thinks they can just put together a meta team and they'll be able to sit on their hands and dominate with that team for a couple of years is sadly mistaken.

You've missed my point, I was pointing out that it doesn't take a prepared and equipped fleet to beat one that is. That's the real problem. It's fine if the meta changes, but the new meta should always take a fleet that the player has put work into. Not just throw a bunch of neglected and forgotten pilots together and carry them all through. What's the point of putting any work into them if they win just fine without any and no matter how much work you put in, it's not going to make them hold on defense against other Rebel fleets.
  • Options
    also I didn't realize M F was censored when I typed this sorry.
  • Options
    The exact same commentary applies to Revan - cheese design that is easily defeated with the removal of one key party member. I use the falcon, but I will NOT use revan.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    It's honestly laughable how easy the rebel fleets are to deal with once the Falcon is dead.

It took a few different key ships to make a Mace timeout squad that had enough synergy to hold it's own. Even the first few metas in ships didn't rely heavily on one ship, they had multiple ships that were necessary to have Biggs continue to regen protection. Even HT when first released didn't just instantly drag a terrible fleet up to the top, you still needed offensive power of your own to get past the other teams tanks.

Falcon just does everything for the rebel fleets, but needs rebels to be there in order to attack more and more. Falcon goes away and the rebels are all immediately bad again.
    HT did in fact shore up otherwise sub-par fleets when it was released, having unprecedented staying power for a flying sardine can, er tank.

If you removed HT tomorrow, the Falcon would be a lot easier to dispatch.
  • Options

You've missed my point, I was pointing out that it doesn't take a prepared and equipped fleet to beat one that is. That's the real problem. It's fine if the meta changes, but the new meta should always take a fleet that the player has put work into. Not just throw a bunch of neglected and forgotten pilots together and carry them all through. What's the point of putting any work into them if they win just fine without any and no matter how much work you put in, it's not going to make them hold on defense against other Rebel fleets.

My shard currently has the top 5 all running rebels. Guess what - it's the same guys that were at the top prior to HMF release. Meaning they already had not only decent rebel fleets, but strong dark side/bh fleets prior to the meta switch. I've yet to see someone from outside the top 20 come screaming into the top spots, with or without HMF.

You're also forgetting that you need to have developed Home One, Biggs, and the other rebels to make this fleet work - putting HMF with your Tarkin/HT/XB/Vader fleet isn't going to work well.

That's on top of needing to have developed the 4 BH ships to a usable degree.

Let's not act like HMF dropped and someone who had never played fleet is suddenly able to claim the top spot.

I was at the top of my shard pre 2.0. I was at the top of my shard post 2.0. I was at the top of my shard post HT. I'm at the top of my shard now. HMF just makes me fall less. Like a lot less.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Em eff is great. Lol op
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    TRYSTON SPIDER nailed it. Those of us that like fleets, or who have seen it as a source of resources, and have invested in it have remained at the top.
  • Options
    Oh - and stepping away from arena for a second, I have to thank HMF for allowing me to platoon literally every other ship.

1st 2 days of LSTB ships - HMF goes, does AOE. Kills entire other side. And my HMF is 5*.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Quick question, how does a weak fleet including the HMF beat a top tier fleet that talso includes the HMF?
    but what makes HMF really bad is that you can use a completely half **** fleet to take out a fully maxed out one. I'm talking g8 and below pilots, no ship omegas.
    My fleet is top tier by any means, but i wouldn't consider it weak either. Yet i've lost on offense, even after i succesfully took care of the enemy HMF without losing my own (granted, that only happened once).
    I'm mostly curious, i just don't see weak fleets as described in the OP standing a chance at consistandly beating the top tier fleets on my leaderboard, if they're even able to win at all.
    I mean, vs the more advanced fleets i lose my falcon before i even get a turn (1 in 3 chance, but it feels like my falcon is targetted disproportinately).
    my fleet for reference: https://swgoh.gg/p/447911521/ships/
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, The falcon signlehandidly has ruined my ship arena too, before the Falcon it was such competition in the top spots, now its only Falcon users 24/7. It was so fun comming up with variations trying to beat them all, coming in first for months, only to be beaten by this stupidly broken ship because yay we can monetise ships to people who neglected bh ships with a ship so op that they will be forced to pay or be prepared to lose.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    Quick question, how does a weak fleet including the HMF beat a top tier fleet that talso includes the HMF?
    My fleet is top tier by any means, but i wouldn't consider it weak either. Yet i've lost on offense, even after i succesfully took care of the enemy HMF without losing my own (granted, that only happened once).
    I'm mostly curious, i just don't see weak fleets as described in the OP standing a chance at consistandly beating the top tier fleets on my leaderboard, if they're even able to win at all.
    I mean, vs the more advanced fleets i lose my falcon before i even get a turn (1 in 3 chance, but it feels like my falcon is targetted disproportinately).

It doesn't. He's talking about 5* HMF and G8 rebels beating up on Tarkin-led DS teams.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

It doesn't. He's talking about 5* HMF and G8 rebels beating up on Tarkin-led DS teams.

Aah, well that puts things in perspective. Obviously not having the latest and greatest will leave you vulnerable on defence. In case of not having the HMF i've heard that you should be happy you can still win on offense.
  • Options
    Smusingly the top 4 in my shard are currently Geo/HT starting lineups under Imperial cap ships and #1 is Geo trio under Executrix. :D
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Smusingly the top 4 in my shard are currently Geo/HT starting lineups under Imperial cap ships and #1 is Geo trio under Executrix. :D

I'm reasonably sure there isn't a player without the HMF in my top50, lol.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

HT did in fact shore up otherwise sub-par fleets when it was released, having unprecedented staying power for a flying sardine can, er tank.

If you removed HT tomorrow, the Falcon would be a lot easier to dispatch.

Yes, but a HT team w/o a good fleet behind it couldn't kill another good HT fleet unless you were able to get Thrawn's ultimate off before the enemy Chimaera.

Millenium Falcon just needs a bunch of trash rebels to be there for it to assist over and over. As long as that one ship is well built it's on equal footing as a fully fleshed out rebel fleet, which is just poor design.

I'm reasonably sure there isn't a player without the HMF in my top50, lol.
    My entire top 100 is rebels except me lol. Theres even some reaching down as far as 120 (I haven't dropped any lower than that quite yet so not sure). Been running Silencer, HT, Plo under Chimaera and can win nice and easily on offense, but just drop so hard overnight lol.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    dimi4a wrote: »
    Ship metas should be somewhat balanced like it was with HT, not like it is now with Han's Falcon, where the Falcon is just too big of a power gap between players that have it and those that don't!

Does not change the fact that in the coming months Droids, Sith, X faction, X faction, will do the same thing when they take over.

Look at it this way by the 3rd Falcon pass No one will be using rebels anymore for anything...as there is no ship content it will just be a part of your inventory as everyone will be using Malak or vulture droids or something and we will be having the same argument about how ships from 1000 years in the past can technologically be defeating Imperial class Star Destroyers lol
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Ship metas should be somewhat balanced like it was with HT, not like it is now with Han's Falcon, where the Falcon is just too big of a power gap between players that have it and those that don't!

Does not change the fact that in the coming months Droids, Sith, X faction, X faction, will do the same thing when they take over.

Look at it this way by the 3rd Falcon pass No one will be using rebels anymore for anything...as there is no ship content it will just be a part of your inventory as everyone will be using Malak or vulture droids or something and we will be having the same argument about how ships from 1000 years in the past can technologically be defeating Imperial class Star Destroyers lol

That's the big problem of this game - all about $$$, with no aiming towards more balanced metas and a bigger variety of arena/ship arena viable characters and factions!

Nah, that's the problem you have with the game, which is entirely different.
  • Options
    Still being at the top after HMF is released does not mean it wasn’t lazy game design. One single ship should not by itself make an entire fleet a monster, change the meta overnight, and everyone’s fleets overnight. That’s lopsided design at its finest.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Why don't CG just release one almighty God-like unbeatable ship to keep up with this trend and be done with it?

that's bad for both the players and their own pockets.
    Instead they release a more powerfull ship periodically so the players have something to strive for and feel rewarded when they aqcuire said new, more powerfull ship and ea/cg profits from the players who buy said new, more powerfull ship.
    The trick is to make the ship exclusive (only a small percentage of the players will be able to get it right away) and while super powerfull still beatable, so players will feel even more rewarded when they got the ship without paying, or can more easily justify buying the ship/ The players who didn't get the ship still have the ability to rank high. It does however require a whole lot more effort to compete without the latest and the greatest, so players who missed out are more inclined to spend money on the next latest and greatest. But since they could still compete, they didn't stop playing alltogether.
    It's not a secret and anyone playing for a while can easily recognize the pattern, it's been like this since day one.
  • Options
    Does anyone else dread the sheer insanity that is guaranteed to come with Luke’s RED5? By all accounts it will be able to solo the entire enemy fleet without any support or capital ship. This is what CG has swung the pendulum to, and quite frankly this isn’t a far fetched assumption even if it’s meant to be a joke, the joke is more the power leaping they openly design.