Timer Suggestion

I know there are other threads addressing this issue, but the premises are either wrong or the comments unproductive, plus I think I have an idea that can appease many.

I have personally and recently encountered more battles going to a draw, down to the last few seconds, or into the last minute. This happens in both arenas and against a variety of squads. I’ve been 5 vs 1, with the opposing squad having a shred of health left— the victory a forgone conclusion if only I could go again. I think it is fair to ponder who should win in this situation and to consider a change to timing. I also get frustrated when I can’t engage in a battle because I’m being battled or because my selected opponent is battling.

Here’s my thought:

Shorten the timers to 3 and 4 minutes.
Stop the timer during opponent moves.

I also like the idea of stopping the timer during character animations. Or working to shorten some of the longer ones.

This gives a starting point for testing. If 3 minutes is resulting in matches that are taking to long, then shorten it to 2.5 minutes, then to 2.

The idea is that it gives the challenger, the human, more agency. The human is using the time.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Interesting idea but it can be used for manipulation because the full time of battles can't be predicted. Someone can use this to stretch his own fight around payout while using a very slow but extreme tanky team so i don't think this will happen.

Nice thinking though
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Options
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Interesting idea but it can be used for manipulation because the full time of battles can't be predicted. Someone can use this to stretch his own fight around payout while using a very slow but extreme tanky team so i don't think this will happen.

Nice thinking though

On offense, wouldn't you risk timing out anyway?

On defense, isn't this already a strategy?

I don't see how the proposed idea would be abused to do what you're suggesting. If the AI and animations take approximately 75 seconds in each battle (number made up for example) and they tune the player timer to 225 seconds the battles would still be roughly 5 minutes no matter what. Shorter if the player took no actions (so you'd have to be more strategic to lock yourself for the full 5 minutes).

It's not a horrible idea. Which says a lot. I'd like to see it in action before deciding if it's good though.
  • Options
    One issue: I have a slow nest left against a CLS/han team. It could literally go on forever. I could have a 24 hr lockout.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The biggest issue here is that the time for a battle would not be different for each battle, similar if facing a similar team but still it could change depending on the moves used.

This would also lead to needing "good reflexes", right now you have some forgiveness in the timer setup, but in your suggestion you need to be on point due to the shorter time for you to act in battle.

Also want to add this creates issue on the server side, if you pause the game at the right time you could go indefinitely as the server would need to wait for the client to update. The current system accounts for this by dropping the battle shortly after 5 mins.
  • Options
    I’ve not explained it well enough. The timer would run normally on the human turn. It’s like timed chess.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I’ve not explained it well enough. The timer would run normally on the human turn. It’s like timed chess.

Yes, but the overall time would change due to animations and opponents moves pausing the timer.

A different sort of moves taken during the opponents turn would lead to the length being different since not all moves are equally timed.
  • Options
    Kyno- I’d like to hone this idea, but I’m still unsure what your concern is. What I’m describing is that from the human’s perspective, everyone will have an equal amount of time to make their moves (say, 3 minutes, for now). The maximum actual time it would take for a game to complete would be 3 minutes, plus however long it took for the computer to make their moves, plus animation times. I’m trying to maximize opportunities for humans to play.

It’d be interesting to see how much of the 5 minutes involves thinking about moves and making decisions right now vs. watching animations.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    On offense, wouldn't you risk timing out anyway?

That's the whole point. If you plan to lock your position for others and want to sit there till payout comes you can make sure you will get as less turns as possible so the AI has to attack most of the time and stop the timer while doing so. Slowing down everything to 1x speed will stretch the battle even more.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno- I’d like to hone this idea, but I’m still unsure what your concern is. What I’m describing is that from the human’s perspective, everyone will have an equal amount of time to make their moves (say, 3 minutes, for now). The maximum actual time it would take for a game to complete would be 3 minutes, plus however long it took for the computer to make their moves, plus animation times. I’m trying to maximize opportunities for humans to play.

It’d be interesting to see how much of the 5 minutes involves thinking about moves and making decisions right now vs. watching animations.

The server has no way to "time out" an event of unknown length without feedback. Since the match can play out with different total lengths, the system would need the feedback from the client (the device), if that signal is lost, the system would just leave you "logged into battle". This could lead to longer than usual lock ins from players trying to protect their current position.

There is more than 1 reason the timer is there. 1 being that if you cant beat a team in that amount of time, you should change your strategy. The other being it give players the ability to use the clock or pick off an opponent at the last minute to win the PO.

The issue is "stopping the timer". That's a bad thing from the development perspective, it opens a can of worms.
  • jaloz_waldson
    4 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don’t think the time out is an issue. How does a battle currently resolve if the connection is lost during the battle? If the human player wins but the connection is lost, what actually happens now? Surely, the system doesn’t just leave you “logged into battle.” I’m guessing the win doesn’t count. Why would that be different with chess timing? The server can just work on the assumption of the last known time, along with some arbitrary padding for computer moves and animations (or not, if that simplified things).

I also disagree with the “change your strategy” argument against the timing. No matter where you are in the game, you will eventually encounter a situation where you are matched up against someone you are only slightly better than. These close battles can go either way on any given play- through. But, over time, you should prevail more often than not. This is well-known. It’s why seven-game playoff series tend to advance the better team more often than single-game series. The more opportunities a slightly better team has, the more often it will win. That’s what this change in timing is trying to achieve— to give the human player more opportunities to defeat an opponent.

The timer is a necessity because of the asynchronous nature of an internet game. Five minutes was likely an arbitrary limit decided many moons ago, and I’d like to think the game has evolved strategically somewhat since that decision was made. I’m simply arguing the timer be modeled more along the lines of a chess timer.
    Post edited by jaloz_waldson on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I don’t think the time out is an issue. How does a battle currently resolve if the connection is lost during the battle? If the human player wins but the connection is lost, what actually happens now? Surely, the system doesn’t just leave you “logged into battle.” I’m guessing the win doesn’t count. Why would that be different with chess timing? The server can just work on the assumption of the last known time, along with some arbitrary padding for computer moves and animations (or not, if that simplified things).

I also disagree with the “change your strategy” argument against the timing. No matter where you are in the game, you will eventually encounter a situation where you are matched up against someone you are only slightly better than. These close battles can go either way on any given play- trough. But, over time, you should prevail more often than not. This is well-know. It’s why seven-game playoff series tend to advance the better team more often than single-game series. The more opportunities a slightly better team has, the more often it will win. That’s what this change in timing is trying to achieve— to give the human player more opportunities to defeat an opponent.

The timer is a necessity because of the asynchronous nature of an internet game. Five minutes was likely an arbitrary limit decided many moons ago, and I’d like to think the game has evolved strategically somewhat since that decision was made. I’m simply arguing the timer be modeled more along the lines of a chess timer.

The current system has a set time, they add a little slack, but if you disconnect your battle will just time out just after 5 mins.

If you cannot beat them according to the rules, why should the rules change to give you a better chance?

The timer has remained the same and we were given a faster animation. The timer has been around since the beginning, they use that to model the matches and other battles, that is part of what they balance, if you change that again, other aspects will be "off". This is a more drastic change than just a little more speed or time, which is why I think it may throw things off more and probably be too drastic to be implemented this far into the game.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    If you cannot beat them according to the rules, why should the rules change to give you a better chance?

Because the rules to this game are changing all the time. When five minutes was settled on, did they really account for teams featuring multiple revives? Revan/Bindo, Darth Sion, Nightsisters are the best examples (though, to be fair, I haven't encountered a draw against a NS team). A character like Enfys or a ship like Hound's Tooth are stretching matches out over time. It wasn't long ago where most of my matches were only lasting two minutes or so, but now they are often dragging past three minutes, and as I mentioned, I'm getting a lot more matches going into the final minute.

Further, changes should be made to improve the user experience, and an experience where the time spent in battle reflects the user's actual play time is an improvement. Of course, an additional part of the user experience is minimizing times where you are unable to play because you are currently being battled, so, making sure the actual time a battle takes is minimized is important as well. Though, maybe there's room for improvement there as well. Perhaps another QoL change could be an Arena Queue or Arena Notification.

Kyno, thanks for your thoughts! You are certainly an experienced player and your challenges to this idea only serve to make it a better idea! Hopefully, the developers are watching in, and thinking about this problem in an equally thoughtful way!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    As for what happens now, my experience is that if the game can’t connect to the server when the battle ends, it will give you the spot anyway if nobody has attacked you in the meantime, but you are open to attack at your prior if somebody gets in there between the end of the five minutes and when the game manages to connect, in which case you will not benefit from the win.

I have spent a lot of time in tunnels with sketchy signal during the hour before my payout, so it’s something I’ve seen both ends of.