Request for shard swap strategy

Hello,
I imagine at this point the reason you all don't swap accou ts onto different shards is because it would conflict with things like GA match algorithms that use currently existing shard data sets. But if not....

Please reconsider:
Querying your accounts by periods of inactivity.
Sorting them by now active players.
And swapping combining them based off of how long inactice and how long currently active.

I know. I took 2 years off. My bad. I shouldn't have to drop $100 or more, or make a new account to be competitive enough to get top tier payouts.

It isn't a good model to have to start over many months of account building if you quit.for.a while.

Replies

• Options
    if you took two years off, you should definitely have to struggle to get back to the top. Why should you get an easier road than someone who didn't take the time off but still, for whatever reason, can't get into the top payouts? By moving into a different/ easier shard, your basically getting rewarded for quitting the game for a while.
  • Options
    This game rewards 2 things; time and money. The more you spend of one or both the faster you progress. So why should people who stopped playing have an easy way to the top?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    So.... because you chose to not play for some time, you should be moved to a younger shard, where you have the opportunity to rank higher and push other players down the ladder to gain less rewards? Why should they be put at this disadvantage? What justifies that?

You don't have to pay to climb the ranks in the arena, as it is currently. As with everything else money simply speeds things up. You can climb without paying - only slower.
    There are many other game modes in which you can progress, while building up a good arena squad (yes, it may take months) until you finally have the luck to jump on the META train.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Shard swapping has been denied since the beginning of the game and has nothing to do with GA or any other game mode.

Everything in this game is paced. The only way to advance faster than the fastest pace is to $$.

Everyone is grouped with people from when they started because it is fair, and impartial to your $$ preference. It just is that way and you can play at your own pace and play how you want.

If they introduced shard swapping it would be a mess and throw off the only truly balanced thing about this game.

If someone takes a break and wants to start playing again. It's an advantage to the players who have been committed for that time period, yes it can feel like you ate being punished, but it's how they keep things fair.

Players could abuse this to some extent also, you can get a character during an event, take some time off and come back to a shard that has not had access to said character due to other circumstances. There is no reason someone should get an advantage from taking time off.
  • Options
    You guys don't read and have no interest in understanding someone else's perspective.

No, I don't "want to be moved to a younger shard." I want to be combined with the other at least 20,000 people that quit playing for a certain period of time and came back to impossible competitiveness.

Further, there is no "advantage to players that have been committed during that time period." I can't compete against them, period. If you delete players 600 to 20000 on my shard it in no way effects the top 600. The idea that it is fair, unfair, or anything to them is inconsequential.

LOL @ "Players could abuse this to some extent also, you can get a character during an event, take some time off and come back to a shard that has not had access to said character due to other circumstances." Yes... someone is going to take 6 months to 2 years off to gain that advantage. Which planet do you live on, Malachor or Tattooine? That reminds me of teachers that would spend hours of effort from trying to stop 1 kid from cheating. Great bang for your buck.

There is no reason for CG to keep this permanent for people that drop out for significant periods of time. It is no different than updating rosters of major leagues and dropping players back down to minor leagues. "Everyone is grouped with people from when they started because it is fair, and impartial to your $$ preference. It just is that way and you can play at your own pace and play how you want."

What I am suggesting would not only not harm all current players, but it would make the game experience of many better in a fair way if the sorting is done right. Not only could it be done right, but it.could be done with a 6 month to 1 year frequency to keep things from becoming stale on those shards.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    You do realize there are players that have built up several dummies accounts and harvested energy across those accounts for months just to test arena shards and then get into a new arena shard and spend all that energy to get an advantage.

If you dont think someone would literally do nothing for a few months to get an advantage, I'm not sure what planet you live on.
  • Options
    I am just not willing to believe that such a thing you suggest is so prevalent of a phenomenon to not do what I am suggesting.

The governor of Florida mandated drug testing for welfare recipients. The testing costed more than the payout of welfare to the statistically 2% of recipients that used drugs. The idea that the downside of something can be outweighed by the upside is a bit nuanced, but necessary in a complicated world. Some tomatos will wilt. That does not mean farmers shouldn't grow tomatos. There are percents of acceptable losses with things.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I am just not willing to believe that such a thing you suggest is so prevalent of a phenomenon to not do what I am suggesting.

The governor of Florida mandated drug testing for welfare recipients. The testing costed more than the payout of welfare to the statistically 2% of recipients that used drugs. The idea that the downside of something can be outweighed by the upside is a bit nuanced, but necessary in a complicated world. Some tomatos will wilt. That does not mean farmers shouldn't grow tomatos. There are percents of acceptable losses with things.

Couldn't the same sentiment be used to discuss why the idea you present is unnecessary and not worth the investment?

Also, there are whole discord servers based on that idea, and they are very active, so probably not as obscure as you would believe.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Couldn't the same sentiment be used to discuss why the idea you present is unnecessary and not worth the investment?

Also, there are whole discord servers based on that idea, and they are very active, so probably not as obscure as you would believe.

It would improve the game for many players that quit and were told to "make new accounts" on the forums.

Discord servers based on saving up energy on multiple accounts?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

It would improve the game for many players that quit and were told to "make new accounts" on the forums.

Discord servers based on saving up energy on multiple accounts?

Discord servers based on figuring out when the next arena will open and discussions of the best amount of energy to save. I have also heard of an entire guild trying to set themselves up by having everyone do this with the goal of taking over a shard, but never heard of it working out, I believe someone said they didnt save enough energy.

As you pointed out, if that is such a small % then it may not be worth enacting this change.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    You guys don't read and have no interest in understanding someone else's perspective.

No, I don't "want to be moved to a younger shard." I want to be combined with the other at least 20,000 people that quit playing for a certain period of time and came back to impossible competitiveness.

So, you want additional shards created, which will then pay out additional rewards?

Did you consider, that players, who return after a long absence, can still work their way up through the ranks, since there are so many inactive or rarely active players among those 20k players on a shard? I believe that less than 500 of them play on a daily basis. However, if you gather 20k returning players to form a new shard, which will then consist of active players only, then evidently some of those 20k players will have to rank 19,999 instead of the rank 500 (or better) they could have achieved on their old shard.
    Further, there is no "advantage to players that have been committed during that time period." I can't compete against them, period.

You will be able to eventually, if you develop your roster well. I took a 14 month break from my alt account before picking it up again for fun and giggles and for the challenge to see how high I could climb. I have reached top-100 in squad arena - but mostly I end up in the 101-200 bracket. If I had focused less on my heroic STR teams, gearing BH for Chewie and after that Chewie for HMF the last couple of months, I could have had a geared Revan team currently to enter top-50. After a 14 months break, that's quite good, I think. So.... it's not impossible to fight your way back.

Just hang in there, and you will eventually get there.
    There is no reason for CG to keep this permanent for people that drop out for significant periods of time.

If creating several/many new shards and paying out more high rank rewards, there will be more crystals paid out - for free - and you claim, there's no reason for CG not to do it?
    It is no different than updating rosters of major leagues and dropping players back down to minor leagues.

What you are suggesting is to create new major leagues, cutting current major leagues in half and moving player to those new major leagues to play for their own championship and prizes. It's not just moving players between major and minor leagues.
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    n7683fnzpv0w.png
    Yeah, I just hit 320 rank with this team. Highest I have hit with it:
    gwd209sa66fr.png
  • Options
    You were right
    9r21alyifvyd.png
  • Options
    Just save up resources for a while and then go all in hardcore on the next big meta wave. You'll break into top 50 or higher easily.
  • Options
    Just let me (and only me) be in a one-person shard. :p