Another failed GA matching

Prev1
How do I defeat an opponent who has 50 zatas when I have 30. They have Traya and Raven, Traya at 7*..I have another 5-6 raids before I can even unlock her. I just missed Raven by a handful of shards so I don't own him yet. My opponent has twice as many g12 toons then I have....yes I have alot of fluff..but I have been playing this game awhile and that's what we did. We built and grind and because of this we have alot of toons geared and maxed. This guy has a killer sqaud and because of that has earned alot of zatas..(pisst, he has 50). And yet we keep getting matched against them based solely on GP. ......??....why? Does anyone have suggestions why we are always getting matched like this. If I could throw all my GP at him based on this matching score it should end In a tie. Right? I mean GP is the same. No..he is stronger with the same GP due to his Zata. And I don't even have the toons he has (ex, Raven and Traya).

He geared for better competitive teams then me..how many times must you hit me with stick because I don't have the same roster as him. I can't go back and I can't change the fact I have played your game for you, given you cash (lots of it) and now you want me too keep takeing your beat down because I don't measure up too someone else's overwhelmingly super lean and powerful game play. How is it even remotely fair, too either of us. He has no challenge and brushing me aside and taking rewards he doesn't need to continue to win against players like myself. I have zero chance against him. Get gud....lol...all we ask is for fair and honest matching , realistic competitive gaming experience. Why is is this so hard to understand and even more difficult to present.

Help me too understand. Any suggestions on why we are being abused In GA. What's the real reason...more money? I really want to accept your terrible match making. But I would really appreciate some explanation as to why I must.

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    I doubt you actually want the “honest answer” you are requesting, but I will offer my opinion anyway.

IMO it’s a matter of incentives. Being matched against somebody with an equal roster to you doesn’t incentivize you to work to improve your roster because if you do, you’ll just get a harder opponent next time and not actually improve your chances. Being matched up against people who are “geared for better competitive teams” means that you see what is possible at your GP level and may have a reason to try to match it by working on those same competitive teams, thereby improving your own chances at winning.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I figure but...rewind when I do..I will only be matched vs others even stronger but same GP....it is a gold fish bowl round and round. The only problem.with that is unless they hand me 20 more full Zata abilities..not salvage...it can not every be done..thanks for your input..I'll chew on it for awhile .
  • Options
    How would you recommend matchmaking?

Even number of zetas? Even number of g11+ characters? The same number of mods greater than 15 speed as you? The same raid/legendary/journey characters unlocked and at the same star level?

When you start adding more and more criteria, the ability to match becomes narrower and narrower and you'll end up playing the same people over and over.

It's not about "get gud." You make the best decisions you can based on your current knowledge. My roster has a decent amount of "fluff" in it (I have 164 seven-star characters, but only 6 of them are still level 1), but I am still do well in GA because I focused most of my resources on relevant characters and mods.

You know they will match you versus GP, and nothing else. Take a whole bunch of characters you won't use and remove their mods before player lock. Drop your GP by 30k and be less "fluffy." Stop adding more fluff and only add relevance. As you focus your roster towards GA, you will improve.

Every player can't get 1st place in every 8 man bracket, nor can they all get 8th. Maybe you got paired up against the one amazing roster in your pool - such is life. The next round you'll face someone else who was defeated, and it'll likely be easier.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    TRanger wrote: »
    I figure but...rewind when I do..I will only be matched vs others even stronger but same GP....it is a gold fish bowl round and round.

You will be in a higher GP grouping, but you will probably be there anyway since unless you just stop playing you are going to accumulate GP whatever you do. Focusing on good PVP teams will lessen that gap over time, as will ensuring that you always get the latest meta character. (Note that I am not personally advocating spending, but it’s certainly something that the game is designed to incentivize.)
  • Options
    I know it sucks but the guy I fought this time had 25+ more G12s than me and Revan and Traya. I have a new Revan at g10 and no good Revan squad (I used him with Misson and Zaalbar). I dont have Traya. I won by 30 points.

Took me 4 tries to kill his Traya. I one-shot everyone else. My g9 FO won 2, and G9 Phoenix won 3. He one-shot everyone else.

Literally the difference was mods. I know it blows but: They are the MOST important part of the game.

Repeat: They are the MOST important part of the game.

He had great mods on his Arena Revan team and Traya team. The rest of his roster had about +30-40 average. His full G12 FO meta team with 3 zetas had a +30 speed FOO. Some of his g12 NS and G12 GK/Zarris had less than +10 speed. Its criminal. His B teams didnt even have speed Arrows on most of his guys. My B teams have +50 at least, and my Engines (FOO, Sith Assasin, Vader, Poe, etc) have +80 speed at least.

So, my advice: Purchase every speed arrow you see in shop until you have 50, and put them on your top 10 squads. All of the random +3-5 speed mods spread around. Engines should get +7-10 speed mods at least.

All those green blue and purple event mods you get? Level them to 9, 6 and 3. If they dont have speed, sell them unless they are an uber Tank mod or get a crazy crit chance or offense or tenacity secondary. I did the above one day and it cost me 5M credits, but I got about 20+ mods with speed out of it, including 3-4 +15s. You would be surprised at what gems you have hiding there.

Just doing that simple thing will increase your chances greatly, even against superior rosters.

And I don't remember if I said this before, but just in case:

Mods are the MOST important part of the game.

• Options
    Mods are certainly important and they can help you overcome GP imbalances but they are not magical and there are limits.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Mods are certainly important and they can help you overcome GP imbalances but they are not magical and there are limits.

I respectfully disagree. Assuming maxxed rosters and zetas, the only difference between any of our rosters is mods. Its really that simple.
  • Options
    I think there's also a place for a skew that isn't normally enough in arena. So skewing hard on defense/health on a clone team makes a B team very hard to kill on defense. Sure any meta team will crush it, but if they look at it and go oh gear 9-10 clones, and send a B team into it, they may well not have the offense to get through it.

Should really sort through my mods...
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I respectfully disagree. Assuming maxxed rosters and zetas, the only difference between any of our rosters is mods. Its really that simple.
    And in that case you may well be right but most players do not have maxed rosters.
  • Options
    So let me summarize.

Your opponent has less fluff, therefore is positioned better to perform at his best in PVP, Guild Events, Individual Events, and Grand Arena. You have a lot more fluff and so the only thing that ever did was look pretty in the inventory menu and for TB deployment. He has a ton more zetas cuz he probably spends ship Arena currency on them, where you might be spending them on every ship there.

Yet you have roughly the same overall GP. Kudos to him, but it just means you have to work a lot harder now.

Grand Arena is fine, it’s just exposing people who’ve invested in fluff and haven’t invested as much in mods.
  • Options
    I understand the spending all too well..I have spent plenty weekly believe me..that's why I'm so upset tons of money now wasted. But I thank you all for your input. This will be my last GA..it isn't a fair feature, and I find it no fun. (nlm) I'm at peace with this decision. It isn't a feature for me..and the bread crumbs are not worth getting upset over. For all.of you that continue with it good luck.

Consider this thread closed!
  • Options
    If you've spent "tons of money" and your teams still suck, maybe you suck at the game? Worth considering.
  • Options

What did you expect? Someone to come up and say "oh I'm so sorry that this new game mode is hard for you. We'll make sure that in future matches all your opponents made worse choices than you with fluffing their roster, that way you can win and feel good about the poor choices you made."

Suck it up buddy, GA is always gonna be based on GP. And if your not happy about how you do vs your opponents then maybe that'll motivate you to improve your roster.

Or don't... Just avoid that join GA button and all this frustration and butt hurt will go away.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

What did you expect? Someone to come up and say "oh I'm so sorry that this new game mode is hard for you. We'll make sure that in future matches all your opponents made worse choices than you with fluffing their roster, that way you can win and feel good about the poor choices you made."

Suck it up buddy, GA is always gonna be based on GP. And if your not happy about how you do vs your opponents then maybe that'll motivate you to improve your roster.

Or don't... Just avoid that join GA button and all this frustration and butt hurt will go away.

Passionate response..didn't know I had upset you or you are just trying to upset me. Or maybe your just angry all time. Good luck..I will avoid that GA join button. But you go ahead and enjoy.

So you don't get too confused..I never advocate for the match I can walk through..just one that was equal to myself. If places were different, I in the opposing side and being handed matches that had no chance of defeating me I would be just as vocal in asking for an even match.
    Post edited by TRanger on
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I figure but...rewind when I do..I will only be matched vs others even stronger but same GP....it is a gold fish bowl round and round. The only problem.with that is unless they hand me 20 more full Zata abilities..not salvage...it can not every be done..thanks for your input..I'll chew on it for awhile .

I learnt today that a player with 29 g12 characters, can win the battle against a player with 42 g12 characters. There are so many factors in play in a battle - not just number of g12 characters or number of zetas. Strategy, execution, mods, etc. still play a role.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    This will be my last GA..it isn't a fair feature...

GA is quite fair. Whoever has the better roster, better strategy and better execution of two players with equal roster GP wins.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I will avoid that GA join button.

please don't.
    Worse case scenario you'll be outmatched 3 times in a row, but you'll get rewards. Best case scenario you'll even face a somewhat equal opponent who's in the same position you're in (which judging by the amount of posts on this subject isn't exactly a rare situation to be in).
    Additionally, when you do join and there is that one guy who's in the same position, he'll have that nice matchup aswell. Ofcourse it's also always nice to see a player in your group who's in worse shape than you are, so by being that guy you'll make someone else happy.
    work.jpg
    Still your choice ofcourse, if you don't like it you definately shouldn't feel obligated to play. It's a game and meant to be fun. I do however hope getting some rewards for almost no effort and a small chance to face a somewhat equal opponent is incentive enough to keep joining GA.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Your a good person leef.....my kind,common sense, clear thought. I won't make any promises, but I will keep this under consideration. I'm too competitive to not give it my all..and it is a lot of hard work for nothing..just so someone who has no problem vs guys like me can continue to get his rocks off seeing me struggle and working so hard to beat him but can't. I truly do not find this feature fun. My own opinion!
  • Options
    Why shouldn't someone be rewarded for doing a better job of focusing on the important toons?
  • Options
    Why shouldn't someone be rewarded for doing a better job of focusing on the important toons?

Because that's not the way it always breaks down. The game wants a varied roster to get you anywhere. Imperial troopers, Pheonix, rogue one, empire, rebels, luke, Vader, Hoth rebel scout, and soldier probe droid and rolo for territory wars. formerly captain han. not to mention that adding characters that you like, need for raids like night sisters for Hstr, or the meta that you've been chasing. it makes for a large roster that ain't necessarily all zeta'd and gear 12.
  • Options
    as for the op, that is kinda the way it works. Sometimes you win sometimes you cant. i have a fairly well focused roster, and ive won several grande arenas. but ive also lost, to people with less gear 12 adn zetas, over something like luck. they had some toons with better speed mods than i have, because of luckier drops for them. nothing i can do about that. gotta take the good with the bad
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Because that's not the way it always breaks down. The game wants a varied roster to get you anywhere. Imperial troopers, Pheonix, rogue one, empire, rebels, luke, Vader, Hoth rebel scout, and soldier probe droid and rolo for territory wars. formerly captain han. not to mention that adding characters that you like, need for raids like night sisters for Hstr, or the meta that you've been chasing. it makes for a large roster that ain't necessarily all zeta'd and gear 12.

everyone you listed besides scout ,soldier, and Capt Han, are not fluff.
  • Options
    I have stated this in other threads, very similar to this one.

Depending on your GP bracket, you will need X amount of teams, which equals X amount of toons.

Work out which toons you want on those teams, work on those toons.

Once you have those teams maxed or working well, the rest of your roster should be pretty much irrelevant.

It may seem like an impossible task but the sooner you start working on a plan like this, the sooner you will see results
  • Options
    OK, based on current matching rules at least for me, we develop anyway towards what GA requires:
    A total of 2 ship teams (one for offense, one for defense)
    One light side ships team (which you need anyway for unlocking 7* Chimaera) which will likely include Falcon and therefore double up as your ship Arena team;
    One dark side team that you need anyway for the challenge giving zetas, and will include the bounty ships that you need anyway to unlock Falcon
    A total of 8 teams for (4 defense and 4 offense):
    Phoenix, which you need anyway for Thrawn and Emperor
    A sith team (Traya, Palpatine, Vader, Sion, Nihilus), which we need anyway in dark side territory
    Thrawn, Tarkin and 3 Imperial Troopers, which we need anyway for Empire events (and can unlock R2D2)
    First Order, which we need anyway for BB-8
    Revan led jedi team, which is also the dominant Arena team
    ZFinn led team with C3PO, with JTR - which is the core of 2 of the HSTR teams anyway
    Bounty Hunters - they are required in so many things
    Ewoks, which we need anyway for C3PO

So I do not see any issue about the game telling me I need to develop these 40 characters (I would package CLS with the zFinn team for efficiency), get them to G12+ and zeta at least the key skills. Even now, I have in my shard people with close to double my GP and around half the zetas, whom I beat on regular basis. It is their choice to first invest in millions of toons, just like it is my choice to focus on the fewest possible I am certain I need.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

everyone you listed besides scout ,soldier, and Capt Han, are not fluff.

Untill.recently Capt Han was required, but was removed and only temporary . So right now yes fluff, prior was not fluff but required......we were forced to farm and may have to again in the future. So Darthvanity is somewhat correct.
  • Options
    Here are my first two matchups. There is no way anyone can say these are even remotely close to fair, I have significantly more g12s, WAY better mods, traya, revan, and og millennium falcon when my opponents don’t. I have more zetas too, despite the fact I’m currently hoarding 129 zeta mats.

Opponent one
    rfrzs0h99yq3.jpeg

Opponent two
    wvqwlfng912y.jpeg
  • Options
    Altazarus wrote: »
    It is their choice to first invest in millions of toons, just like it is my choice to focus on the fewest possible I am certain I need.

Counter productive to game revenue growth. So players as myself have made a mistake pumping thousands of dollars into a game for years..when the whole time.we could have freely farmed those 40 or so non fluff toons needed to play he game..invest in zatas and not ships as rewards. So that perhaps unannounced one day we would be punished for funding a relatively fun game so that new players can come in not put forth any effort and enjoy coveted ranks and rewards because we now have over inflated roosters. I'm nervous moving forward with this new 5 year plan just rolled out. Anything else those of us who are long term game veterans can do for you all please let us know.
  • Ikky2win
    870 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It is their choice to first invest in millions of toons, just like it is my choice to focus on the fewest possible I am certain I need.

Counter productive to game revenue growth. So players as myself have made a mistake pumping thousands of dollars into a game for years..when the whole time.we could have freely farmed those 40 or so non fluff toons needed to play he game..invest in zatas and not ships as rewards. So that perhaps unannounced one day we would be punished for funding a relatively fun game so that new players can come in not put forth any effort and enjoy coveted ranks and rewards because we now have over inflated roosters. I'm nervous moving forward with this new 5 year plan just rolled out. Anything else those of us who are long term game veterans can do for you all please let us know.

I basically fit into the category of a newer player (last week of November 2017) and you just summarized it perfectly. If you look at my previous post it has my matchups and I have a WAY stronger roster for GA purposes because I did exactly what you said. Only farmed and geared the super important characters while not touching any “fluff” characters. I have a ton of characters sitting at 3 or 4 stars, but with 250 or 280 shards unused in case It ever turns into a top tier character and is useful. They are all level 1 gear 1 too. Now if older players upgraded them, they are at a huge disadvantage vs me in GA.

Example
    f91k71nbt6cl.png
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

If you enjoyed it and had fun, it wasn't a mistake. You probably also benefitted from it in other game modes - GA is only one game mode of many.
    Anything you can do for me? Purchase more to keep the game alive for another year.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Nice try but you forget..if we have the same GP they do just as well In all game areas require any GP. Such as TB, and now TW they draw vs players just as myself as well..so we are losing ground daily.

I opened myself up for that when I (sarcastically ) asked anything else we can do for you. Well played sir, well played. But to answer your question..no..it has been proven that it was all a waste. No need to continue to waste more. Lessons learned, it obviously wasn't appreciated and apparently not needed. Wish I knew then what I know now.

You guys have been great thanks for sharing my thread. Truly I have moved on and I needed that. Good luck in your GA. If you enjoy it I hope you continue to do so. And I hope it never gets disappointing for you. I got to get back to farming I have almost completely 7* my entire roster. (I had to get in that last jab don't hate on me too much, and have a sense of humor doing so.) It was never ment to be me vs you, it was my frustrations on my experience in GA and now how I view it. Good luck people. In the end it is our passion for Star Wars, our fandom , regardless of which trilogy is our favorite. We have every right to disagree, but do so with respect. We're all here because we share in an interest, a commonality. Which brought us together. Made us all realize there are people out there who are just like me!