Possible General Grievous Arena Viable team

I have been spending a great deal of time trying to figure out a lineup that would truly benefit GG. I developed this team http://swgoh.gg/squads/413/ and would appreciate your comments. Please read the description and remember RG is there to ensure turn 1 survival. No character should theoretically die Turn 1. Enemy should not see turn 2 due to -90% TM. Sorry for a short post just putting this out there before a meeting.

Replies

• bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    Sounds really awesome features 3 empire toons as well
    But relying on tarkin to land his tm reduction is a flaw imo at 9% potency
  • irvvri
    152 posts Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, I've never actually seen Veers or Tarkin in action so I'm not sure how they function. However, at a first glance, this is how I would take on this squad:

Depending on RNG and who my Qui Gon calls in for assist, either GG or IG 88 will be dead turn 1.

Then after that I'd have to focus down RG due to his taunt, but after that I'd think it'd be smooth sailing from then.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I really don't think GG is viable at this point
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    What about the new magma trooper when released will have huge aoe tm down, or clone segant
  • Options
    @Irvvri nope, even Ig-88 would survive your fist QGJ attack + assist with GG leader (he defiantly would be low yellow to red unles RNG favors you for Rey then possibly dead). After that your stuck attacking RG for the remainder of Turn 1.

@bleeaauuh Tbh I am not sure magma is going to be any good, nor do I know how his shard acquisition will work.
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    Yes I agree that with rg in play ig88 will survive qgj
    But he won't survive dooku+qgj. Dooku will lighting to just over 50% then qgj will finish with the assist
    Do you have tarkin maxed? I do and is potency is horrible
  • Options
    bleeaauuh wrote: »
    Yes I agree that with rg in play ig88 will survive qgj
    But he won't survive dooku+qgj. Dooku will lighting to just over 50% then qgj will finish with the assist
    Do you have tarkin maxed? I do and is potency is horrible

That is good to know, I have Max stars but have not geared/lvl him as of yet. Veers is what really matters in the AOE. Another nice thing is that the AI would use the same strategy as what I propose on defense. Just throwing that last bit out there.
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    But as you well know, no team is unbeatable, if you can win on offense that's all that truly matters and this team will certainly do that.
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm working on a concpet team for lando
  • Options
    @bleeaauuh Yes, I agree. However; like I said in my reply, the AI will use same strategy for skill preference.
  • Options
    @bleeaauuh I could also swap IG for Lando making it a sure T1 survival and Nuketastical t2 aswell
  • Options
    So, my honest opinion is that this is a good attempt, but would not really capitalize on the meta, and would be susceptible to the meta.
    First, your acceptance of losing the speed race is fine, and I assume that GG will get you at least one win against people the first time, due to underestimating his impact on the first turn kill shot.
    However, at speed 125 or less, your turn meter reduction simply won't do enough. As I understand it, turn meter reduction is a percentage removed from the current meter and not the total possible. And even if it is a fixed value (99% sure it is not) you still may get outsped in turn two. Consider that a Dooku at 161 will have 578 speed to turn two by the time Tarkin goes. Even if Tarkin could remove a fixed 60% of total meter (highly unlikely) Dooku would still win the foot race to turn two. Heck, even with grievous's tm reduction he still will.
    And the enemy QGJ will be in the exact same boat. So, while you have applied teo different turn meter downs and (statistically) ability blocked two characters, I believe that you will still be outpaced to round two. Which, if this is the goal of the team, is a problem.
    The second half of your team fight may go decently well, due to tarkins offense down, however I am unsure if the loss of damage is enough to keep pressure up.
    Also note that on offense, many players are beginning to play around RG though moves like QGJ opening with basic into GS assist or GS basic into Rey leverage. You cannot assume that a decent player will not kill at least one character in the opening volley. All you can (or at least, all that I do) is pray that it is killed using an assist so that my RG can auto taunt.
  • CookieCrispp
    555 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you want a viable GG team, you may consider something off the wall with an emphasis on combining Health Down with aoes and turn two control. Something such as:
    GG
    Phasma
    Kylo(or Poggle, I haven't really thought this through).
    Snowtrooper
    RG
    He idea would be to use GGs health down at the tail end of turn one and stack your aoes in turn two (probably playing reverse order Phasma: Vic March and then Barrage). It's a poor mans poggle design, since -20% hp is obviously less effective than 50% damage, though stacking the two could be fun. Heck, you could even run something completely off the wall such as
    GG
    Phasma
    poggle
    Boba
    Snowtrooper

With the premise that you can land that boosted turn two O up hp down burst. This time with ability block in the side (though in honesty, Kylo and RG are probably better than boba is).
    Obviously I need to examine the speeds of AOE toons before I would recommend something too serious, but the idea is that to win turn two with slow toons you need your side turn meter manipulation. And IMO health down with AOE is awesome. Heck, maybe maul could finally find a home on this (maul + Hp down = best day ever).
  • Options
    @CookieCrispp There is always going to be a counter. Yes speed is the meta, GG wont capitalize on it due to his lack of it. Trying to compensate for this is why (I believe) everyone is running into a dead end. For my hypothisis when forming this group I was only counting on 50% of TM to deny turn 2. Yes there will be obvious counters to the majority of us. Yoda, Dooku, Sid as example. However; my post is not about counters it is instead based on the ability to offensively gain rank vs an AI an mount a decent defense on AI. Since the skill selection via AI closely mirrors the skills a human would use this team offers a unique benefit. It attacks every opponent at once. Therefore, no need to pray for defense rng to get it right. Ultimately, until they fix GG leader it is not viable nor worthwhile to test this build. However, I hope this can lay some groundwork for thinking about different ways to overcome GG's obvious deficiency in competitive arena. Thank you for your ideas on squad builds as-well. I am sure that they will add to the conversation.
  • Options
    Ok. So, I get that you are looking for the future a bit with this team, but the speed meta we have right now shows no real signs of slowly (sadly). I think it is amiss to not at least design with the intent to deal with the current best squads and optimal team designs.
    The point about speed was to illustrate that while the AI can mirror human moves that those moves are actually not as worthwhile. The problem with reducing turn meter after the opponents have already gone means that you will always lose the race to turn two if you only reduce meters.
    I think the best use of GG will be in the abuse of hp down and the second turn of attacks, potentially using the tm reduction from his laugh to win the coin flips going into round two. Right now, only turn meter gains can really guarantee turn two dominance, due to resists and the speed meta.
    i do think that GGs leader ability is sorely underestimated in its effectiveness and burst reduction. Have you tried him on a healer/tanky team yet?
  • Options
    @CookieCrispp I have a little but was not sold if that makes sense.
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    If you can best Qgj lead
    Rg
    Gs
    Rey
    Yoda
    Then this team is a success in my opinion
  • fberbert
    593 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What about:

GG (L), Lando, Maul, RG and Poe.

RG will auto-taunt, after that Poe will remove 20% turn meter and expose some enemies. After that Lando will make it rain, Maul will hurt a lot of people and Grievous will finish the job.

The enemy will need the 2nd turn to deal with Poe and RG due to lower damage output. QGJ will remove only one taunt. You will have at least 3 men up. Lando will make it rain with 75% bonus damage and probably will clean the house. If not, you will have Maul able to clean with 100% turn meter on kill.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Options
    fberbert wrote: »
    What about:

GG (L), Lando, Maul, RG and Poe.

RG will auto-taunt, after that Poe will remove 20% turn meter and expose some enemies. After that Lando will make it rain, Maul will hurt a lot of people and Grievous will finish the job.

The enemy will need the 2nd turn to finish with Poe and RG due to lower damage output. QGJ will remove only one taunt. You will have at least 3 men up. Lando will make it rain with 75% bonus damage and probably will clean the house. If not, you will have Maul able to clean with 100% turn meter on kill.

yes this could work, again my group was an example of a gg lead that might work. I am sure variations of it would also be possible :)
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    Remember too that yoda can make any team
    Reliant on debuffs irrelevant
  • fberbert
    593 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    One more possible configuration, maybe capable to be sustainable on defense, mainly against a non-Yoda teams:

GG (leader), Fives, Savage, Obi-wan and Barris

GG will force an ally to taunt whenever he falls bellow 50% health. You don't want to attack Fives, Opress or Ben, but you will have to.

Barris will have a lot of HP pool to equalize and heal. She can heal 1.3k on basic hit too, which is good enough to GG and will help once enemy will make less damage.

Ben Kenobi will crush enemies offense with mind tricks. Offense down + ability block + Grievous leadership, wow!

Imagine one of these three guys taunting for Grievous:

Fives will speed down and counter a lot.
    Savage will gain offense up and gain 30% turn meter half of time when taking damage. Then he will inflict offense down.
    And you don't want to kill Ben, nooooo!!!

That is it... a tough team to beat under 5 minutes. Enemy will need a really high DPS team. A common configuration with Phasma, Dookan, Luminara, GS and 1 more won't be able to beat this team inside the time limit.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Options
    @bleeaauuh ya absolutely, again this is to find a few relevant idea's to make Gg viable thinking outside of the meta for now and just go wild with Gg as a lead what would you do, would it be an Aoe team. A tank team or possible even find a way for him to be in a offense team. So little thought is put into Gg because some don't have him yet. That doesn't mean we should try to find his niche. He is the most expensive toon in game and there must be something we are missing. To make him viable in the hear and now. Remember a meta is only the meta until someone figures out a better way. We all know his skills he brings an impressive kit to a team. We know he won't work in a traditional droid team no matter how much his passive synergies. His speed is just way to lacking and taunt is a massive issue for droids.

@fberbert

Great ideas, keep me coming lets challenge the status quo and find gg's viable applications. By the time they fix his leader everyone should have 4 star Gg. (P2w of course) even Dolphins.
  • Options
    I think that jawa e n g I n e e r (can't mention him) is going to make him very very good
  • NG_189
    14 posts Member
    Options
    I see tanky/ counter characters with Grievous. Maybe Fives (Grievous forces him to taunt, counters most attacks), Savage Opress (gains offense/defense up), Kylo Ren (with Retribution), and others. The problem is that this team would be slow. You would have to hope that the computer goes for Grievous first so that your tanks will be able to get the taunt forced by Grievous. Also, maybe Poggle or Phasma would work to boost the offense or gain turn meter.
  • Options
    bleeaauuh wrote: »
    I think that jawa e n g I n e e r (can't mention him) is going to make him very very good

Ya, most defiantly. However; trying to think of a way for grievous to be good on his own should also be important.

NG_189 wrote: »
    I see tanky/ counter characters with Grievous. Maybe Fives (Grievous forces him to taunt, counters most attacks), Savage Opress (gains offense/defense up), Kylo Ren (with Retribution), and others. The problem is that this team would be slow. You would have to hope that the computer goes for Grievous first so that your tanks will be able to get the taunt forced by Grievous. Also, maybe Poggle or Phasma would work to boost the offense or gain turn meter.

Yes, GG is defiantly good with tanky builds, unfortunately they have a hard time on offense.