Magnaguard rework - still deadweight?

Alijar1
381 posts Member
edited February 2019
As you've judged from the title, I'm unimpressed by Magnaguard. That's not to say he's bad, no, not by a long shot, but he's still the worst out of the Separatist Droids.
Let's look at the perks: ally dispel on basic. With a counter attack, this can be very useful, and with the counter chance boosted quite high, there's a high likelyhood that it can continually remove all of the nastiness attacking your team. Mass dispel: Again, very useful. Stun: Good for locking down enemies. His unique gives him taunt. FINALLY.
But that's it. He's very much a lackluster droid.
His basic is kind of useless if the Target resists (or the debuff simply doesn't apply) the Target Lock, nor if the target doesn't have Target Lock to begin with. That's not good.
His second special dispels all buffs on the target... but B2 dispels all buffs on all enemies, and inflicts buff immunity, and is arguably more consistent in its constant turn meter gain than a counter attack chance. And, the Zeta: This attack's cooldown is reset if there are no buffs. That's it? No damage increase, no turn meter reduction, just a reset? Plus the fact that the stun could be resisted, or the attack dodged? That's almost as bad as Gar Saxon's Zeta IMO.
His first special, also grants him and Grievous speed up. Again, that's it? I mean, sure, a mass cleanse and a damaging ability is very nice, but it's almost too simple - there's nothing wrong with simple though, FOX and B1 are great examples - there's nothing that screams I am disrupting this enemy team, as the name would imply.
His unique... uh. It's something? But it really doesn't do much. No interaction with marked, a mechanic that, since it is a tank, it would be getting consistently due to Grievous' new unique? And that 1% defeat mechanic. Sure, a 100% offense boost is always appreciated... but Magnaguard is a tank. He doesn't do much damage to begin with. And then he kills himself??? No health steal up, no damage immunity, he kills himself? Sure, it might work a bit with Grievous' unique, but, that's really kind of... bad. (Side note: How on earth does this interact with L3's Zeta? I sense... not good).
Overall, Magnaguard is now usable, but at what cost? It's like all the good ideas went into B2 and Grievous - where did Magnaguard's turn meter reduction go? That was actually useful! His kit seems to be stretched too thin and he's just, once again, a deadweight character compared to all the other Separatist Droids. But those are just my thoughts.
#MakeTuskensGreat
tenor.gif

Replies

• Options
    Where's his kit then?
  • Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    Where's his kit then?

Oh, it was revealed the place where everything gets revealed before coming to the Official Forums.

You know, Reddit...AKA the other (and some might say more official) forums.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Options
    I didn’t notice that Magnaguard’s death activates when he reaches 1% health, not when he should have died. That means that Grievous’s ally damage, although it says it cannot kill allies, will still kill magnaguard (Because when at 1% magnaguard he kills himself) and B1, because he loses stacks whenever damaged, and when he is out of stacks he dies. This means that Grievous can kill half of his team with an ability that says that it cannot kill.
  • Options
    So you can put zzT3 on the team.
    >:)So what? I want Krell!
  • Options
    You don't like his every turn taunt, massive tenacity, cleanse, and dispell? Seems great to me.
  • Alijar1
    381 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You don't like his every turn taunt, massive tenacity, cleanse, and dispell? Seems great to me.
    Alijar1 wrote: »
    Let's look at the perks: ally dispel on basic. With a counter attack, this can be very useful, and with the counter chance boosted quite high, there's a high likelyhood that it can continually remove all of the nastiness attacking your team. Mass dispel: Again, very useful. Stun: Good for locking down enemies. His unique gives him taunt. FINALLY.

#MakeTuskensGreat
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    Droideka wrote: »
    I didn’t notice that Magnaguard’s death activates when he reaches 1% health, not when he should have died. That means that Grievous’s ally damage, although it says it cannot kill allies, will still kill magnaguard (Because when at 1% magnaguard he kills himself) and B1, because he loses stacks whenever damaged, and when he is out of stacks he dies. This means that Grievous can kill half of his team with an ability that says that it cannot kill.

Just change the b1 and magnaguard for other toons. Take other droids. Or even separatist characters like Sun Fac, which used to be a very good tank once, and who does beneficies of the b1 healing as a separatist
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    I would say he's the opposite of the worst separatists droids. I for one am loving his kit and I dont think the revan killing squad will function nearly as well without him
  • Options
    Kokie wrote: »
    I would say he's the opposite of the worst separatists droids. I for one am loving his kit and I dont think the revan killing squad will function nearly as well without him

I don't think he's needed for the Revan killing squad. Seems pretty replaceable tbh, Jawa Engineer on the other hand.... could make a very suitable replacement there with the ability to revive GG even if he gets marked by JKR.
  • Options
    His Damsge from the videos looks terrible
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Kokie wrote: »

I don't think he's needed for the Revan killing squad. Seems pretty replaceable tbh, Jawa Engineer on the other hand.... could make a very suitable replacement there with the ability to revive GG even if he gets marked by JKR.
    I agree. Sure, dispels are nice, but B1 is already giving the team a ton of tenacity, and both Grievous and Droideka have self-dispels. If I were to pick a droid to sub out, it would be magnaguard.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    I believe you will find out otherwise
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    He synergizes with GG to a point where I dont think the squad will be near as effective without him
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    Its just gonna be like it always is. We always come up with better combinations then their enforced we must play how they devs like us to play meta's. Remember their original synergy with JKR? hah.

Will be easy to replace magnaguard with better heroes for the job, but I do love how they are trying harder to enforce their own playstyle with the fact that light side droids take more damage from GG's turns.

Is kinda funny though that GG can kill magnaguard.
  • Options
    Magna for the faction synergy?
    T3 for the additional offensive power?
    IPD for the self-destruct into GG AoE combo?
    IG88 as additional damage dealer?
    HK47 (reworked) for the revive (GG synergy) and ability block AoE?
    EE / Visas / JE for the revive (GG synergy)?

Who knows what's going to be the "best" lineup, time will tell.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    He has permataunt and is the only taunt for for thr team. Also dispel, stun, and mass cleanse are all extremely powerful.

He doesn't need to be OP or do great damage. He needs to have utility somewhere. That kit gives him utility outside of seperatists.

JTR full droid team now with another dispel and stun (mass cleanse only works on Seps though).
    Yeah... He can work with TL droids too.
  • Options
    JTR full droid team now with another dispel and stun (mass cleanse only works on Seps though).

Do you see any of these new droids and reworks fitting into a JTR droid team? Who do you think fits best?
  • Options
    VonZant wrote: »

Do you see any of these new droids and reworks fitting into a JTR droid team? Who do you think fits best?
  • Options
    Counts wrote: »

I dont know for sure. Too early to tell, but some of those abilities look interesting. Droideka + R2 might be interesting. Magnaguard tank would make JTR droids faster, etc. Just think its too early to dismiss them.
  • Options
    I actually wonder if R2 might prove to be a good replacement, with his sharing max health (for Grievous), and the forced taunt he has with his Smoke Screen.

Pretty excited to test some theory-crafting this evening
  • Options
    I’d say he’s essential as the teams only cleanser. Otherwise you get hit by Holdo’s bunker buster at the start and it’s game over.
  • Options
    I actually wonder if R2 might prove to be a good replacement, with his sharing max health (for Grievous), and the forced taunt he has with his Smoke Screen.

I think GG eats up lightside droids on his team with one of his abilities.
  • Options

He does. I wonder if this is bad enough for him to not be worth using with LS droids. Kinda stinks if so. But we will see I guess.
  • Options

He does. I wonder if this is bad enough for him to not be worth using with LS droids. Kinda stinks if so. But we will see I guess.

Exactly why Jawa Engineer would be a great fit. Comes w/ a revive and massive TM boost for droids to get cranking early on, but doesn't get killed by GG's unique, comes w/ a pseudo-taunt because he can revive the other droids if you don't kill him early on. Without Magnaguard, Droideka is almost guaranteed to get the Mark from GG every time.

Also B1 unique doesn't say it can't be revived, so presumably JE could even revive b1 if GG kills him with the unique. (Although not entirely sure about that as it could just revive w/ 0 stacks and die again)
  • Options
    Also B1 unique doesn't say it can't be revived, so presumably JE could even revive b1 if GG kills him with the unique. (Although not entirely sure about that as it could just revive w/ 0 stacks and die again)

B1 can’t be revived.

B1 can't score critical hits or be revived. B1 has no Protection, 1 Health and 100 stacks of Droid Battalion, and can't be defeated or destroyed while they have Droid Battalion. When all stacks of Droid Battalion expire, B1 immediately destroys itself. B1 is immune to Damage Over Time.

When B1 takes damage, they dispel all debuffs on themselves and lose 8 stacks of Droid Battalion. At the start of B1's turn, they gain 3 stacks of Droid Battalion.
  • Droideka
    615 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

2zengvp99802.jpeg

• Options
    Actually, some of the text in Grievous lead and unique synergize with Separatists. So in theory, Asajj might be a good stand-in (at least in the event one were still gearing the rest of the team).

In the end, I think Sep droid line up will be ideal... But in the short term, there seems like there are some options at least
  • Options

B1 can’t be revived.

B1 can't score critical hits or be revived. B1 has no Protection, 1 Health and 100 stacks of Droid Battalion, and can't be defeated or destroyed while they have Droid Battalion. When all stacks of Droid Battalion expire, B1 immediately destroys itself. B1 is immune to Damage Over Time.

When B1 takes damage, they dispel all debuffs on themselves and lose 8 stacks of Droid Battalion. At the start of B1's turn, they gain 3 stacks of Droid Battalion.

lmfao whoops, was reading the part of the unique about how he died, figured it would be in that part of the ability, not right at the front whoops.