How should the game react when someone doesn't fill their defense costing the other player banners

How should the game react when someone doesn't fill their defense costing the other player banners 18 votes

Auto fill with random toons
83%
Zombie961Nikoms565WaquiLevlBulldog1205No_TryRandomSithLordRavenclawsPaulos999Ct214476DaPowerfulJedicoco8863CadoaBaneZekePhoenixNyanperor 15 votes
Void the rewards from player not setting a defense
11%
RhunneEffAPublicEyeD 2 votes
Give you the offending players rewards along with whatever you earned
5%
Phoenixeon 1 vote

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I guess it does cost you banners, but it's also an automatic win, so why would you carr if your score wont be as high, but still a win at the end?

I get that you can't play the game mode and all that, but that's not the question here....

Also we know how it will end up because they already told us how the game will react once they get the fix back in place.
  • Options
    Doesn't have to be super teams but if it could also ensure that leaders where set for random teams it'd be ideal
  • Options
    If they don't place teams you don't have a chance at first place, your banner count is what breaks a tie.
    Kyno wrote: »
    I guess it does cost you banners, but it's also an automatic win, so why would you carr if your score wont be as high, but still a win at the end?

I get that you can't play the game mode and all that, but that's not the question here....

Also we know how it will end up because they already told us how the game will react once they get the fix back in place.

• Options
    Imho laziness should not be honored here, so an auto-defense should have random toons, without the perfect synergy that someone would have given them manually. That way the other player still has a pretty save win because the defense won't be really strong, but will get the credits for beating the teams, too.
  • Options
    They should just make a new shop and reward grand arena tokens based on the number of banners you get. Similar to Guild Event tokens from TW. This will encourage defense setting as while you will get the regular rewards from GA, setting no defense will get you no tokens.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    alechriso wrote: »
    If they don't place teams you don't have a chance at first place, your banner count is what breaks a tie.

Sorry I never replied to this, no that is not true.

Ties are decided by GP. Higher GP wins.

• Options
    Oh, I guess I should read more LOL. I guess I should stop whining then... :D
  • Options
    How about if you don't set a defense you get each space filled with 1 of your weakest characters?
  • Options
    How about if you don't set a defense you get each space filled with 1 of your weakest characters?

Filling strongest without synergy may kill their offense effectiveness.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    D) Auto-fill with toons chosen at random from their roster and give 0 points for setting defense. :p
  • GingerNinja
    1 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Maybe some people don’t fill defense out of protest for the extremely flawed matchup algorithms. Perhaps if you fix the algorithms then the defense problem fixes itself. None of the options you gave allow that as a response. Nope, just made my least favorite part of the game worse. Way to go CG!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe some people don’t fill defense out of protest for the extremely flawed matchup algorithms. Perhaps if you fix the algorithms then the defense problem fixes itself. None of the options you gave allow that as a response. Nope, just made my least favorite part of the game worse. Way to go CG!

Now that ships GP is no longer included in the fleetless GA's, match-making is fine.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Poll is horrible as every answer penalizes the offending player. There should be other options like "who cares"
    "good for the person not setting d" "Take the rewards away from people who are asking for people to be punished for not setting D" etc. fake poll :)

nothing should happen... when the match is so stupid the other person will earn 0 points and lose by 1600...... too bad IMO about your credits.... then again I do think they should give people the credits for areas not placed...just to stop the complaining about it
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

Now that ships GP is no longer included in the fleetless GA's, match-making is fine.

not sure about your sample size there....
  • Options
    alechriso wrote: »

Sorry I never replied to this, no that is not true.

Ties are decided by GP. Higher GP wins.

I seem to remember that there are multiple factors involved in tiebreaking.

Regardless, that's a stupid reason to decide the winner since matchmaking is done to control for GP anyways. In fact, wouldn't the better player be the one who can do the same with less GP than the other player?

And also regardless, you should get a chance to practice your GA work, even if it is against autofill squads.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

There may still be flaws in the mixed GAs.

As far as I know in the GAs with ships, GP is weighted equally whether from ships and toons. Since the banner counts for winning a fleet territory is less than winning squad territory, this creates mismatches in the tourneys.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Ties are a corner case to the point of being literally arbitrary. That said, giving it to the lower GP player punishes investment, which is sketchy in general.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Ties are a corner case to the point of being literally arbitrary. That said, giving it to the lower GP player punishes investment, which is sketchy in general.

If invested wisely, higher GP should lead to better banner counts. (shorthanded wins, more armor, toons alive, etc.)

Awarding a tie to a lower GP player does not punish investment, it rewards the wiser investor.

But I think GP shouldn't be the deciding factor in a tie anyways since it is the criterion for matchmaking in the first place.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    darthdavid wrote: »

If invested wisely, higher GP should lead to better banner counts. (shorthanded wins, more armor, toons alive, etc.)

Awarding a tie to a lower GP player does not punish investment, it rewards the wiser investor.

But I think GP shouldn't be the deciding factor in a tie anyways since it is the criterion for matchmaking in the first place.

Most of the GP differences in GA at mid-levels are barely noticeable. I've had GA matchups where all 8 players were within 100 GP of eachother... what I'm saying with that is that neither of those people really "invested wiser" than the other, that's like one singular piece of gear on a toon that neither of them used. They needed a tie-breaker and they made one, either way it was going to be unfair.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

Most of the GP differences in GA at mid-levels are barely noticeable. I've had GA matchups where all 8 players were within 100 GP of eachother... what I'm saying with that is that neither of those people really "invested wiser" than the other, that's like one singular piece of gear on a toon that neither of them used. They needed a tie-breaker and they made one, either way it was going to be unfair.
    If they weren't going to put any effort in to it, they should simply have made it a 50/50 RNG coin flip.

If you want to do it properly then the player who used less total GP (defense + offense) should win the tie and in the unlikely event of that being tied, just flip a coin.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    it's such a tiny issue as to be literal trivia.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

You just made the case for me....GP differences should be small in tourney matchups BECAUSE they are used to decide the matchups.

That's why this small, trivial amount should also not be the deciding factor for GA ties.

With GP being roughly equal in a matchup, the player who invested wiser in toons and has the best tactics should win. If players tie it is due mostly to even skills in toon investment and tactical decision making (and a slight bit of RNGesus messing with us). The trivial GP should not be the tiebreaker.