Anyone Else Have An Elite 8 GA? Because...um...

Gifafi
6017 posts Member
Went back 5 pages in GA thread, didn't see this issue so rather than sift thru the other 94534658205 pages...

So my GA this time is 8 teams. NBD, right? 8->4->2->1...except there are only three rounds (enforced GP win for those 3-0 I guess?)

So I barely lost (bc that matters! lol) round 1, and was then paired with someone also out of the top 4, which seems...odd.

So now since I won I get to face a top 3, which makes more sense, then the event is over. And have guildmates who are done with their GA. Am I missing something? (very possible but never had this happen before)

The facing non-top 4 round 2 is the most weird part, if that helps.
Maybe End Game isn't for you

Replies

• jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Options
    I don't follow. You lost round 1 and you faced someone else who lost (out of, as in not part of, the top 4) or you faced someone who won their first round (as in 1 out of the top 4)?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    I don't follow. You lost round 1 and you faced someone else who lost (out of, as in not part of, the top 4) or you faced someone who won their first round (as in 1 out of the top 4)?

sorry, the first. Two below 4th faced off, me being one of them. in round 2
  • Firebrigade
    852 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Wut? I think you’re looking at this wrong. (Also, GA is almost always 8 teams)
    8->4->2->1

The rounds are the arrows, not the numbers.

At the end of round 1, the 4 winners are paired and the 4 losers are paired. At the end of round 2, you’ll have 2 2-0 people that will face each other to determine the winner. That’s 3 rounds, 1 winner.

You faced one of the bottom 4 in round 2 because you were in the bottom 4. You lost round 1. Because you won round 2, you now play the other person that lost round 1 and won round 2, to determine who gets into the 2nd place group (2-3-4) or the 3rd place group (5-6-7).

*Edited to clarify final placement.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone always is matched against someone who has the same Win-Loss record as they do within the 3 rounds.

The first round, everyone is 0-0. It appears that the 8 players are randomly matched.

The second round, four players are 1-0, and they are randomly matched against each other. The other four players are 0-1, and they are randomly matched.

For the third round, the two players who are 2-0 are matched, the two players who are 0-2 are matched, and then the four players who are 1-1 are randomly matched.

Some players get really focused on the specific numbers - but there are really only four "ranks" at the end of the GA: First (3-0), Second (2-1), Third (1-2), and Last (0-3).
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    I figured I was missing something, ty all.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    its hard to get what you are saying to I will try to state some things that i think you are confused about.

There are always 3 rounds. No one is done yet. we all have one more round, starting in 6 hours.

its explained above but i will also lay this out.

Round 1 - 8 players randomly matched into 4 matches of 2 players each. There is not ranking, just a list of players in order of GP. which from top to bottom is fairly small difference.

Round 2 - 4 players with a record of 1-0 are randomly matched into 2 matches of 2 players each. the other 4 players with a record of 0-1 are randomly matched into 2 matches of 2 players each. if you look at the ranking, you will see the 8 players in order of record (1-0 on top, 0-1 on bottom) and then ordered in GP.

Round 3 - 2 players with a record of 2-0 face off for the tier 1 prize. the 4 players that are 1-1 are randomly matched into 2 matches of 2 player each. the 2 players who are 0-2 face off to see who will end up with the tier 4 prizes.

in the end prizes are as such
    tier 1 - player record 3-0
    tier 2 - 3 players record 2-1 (placed in order of GP in that group)
    tier 3 - 3 players record 1-2 (again placed in order of GP in that group)
    tier 4 - player record 0-3
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    Options
    8->4->2->1

At the end of round 1, the 4 winners are paired and the 4 losers are paired. At the end of round 2, you’ll have 2 2-0 people that will face each other to determine the winner. That’s 3 rounds, 1 winner.

You faced one of the bottom 4 in round 2 because you were in the bottom 4. You lost round 1. Because you won round 2, you now play the other person that lost round 1 and won round 2, to determine who gets into the 2nd place group (2-3-4) or the 3rd place group (5-6-7).

Round 3 has 4 people to mix up with a 1-1 record. Those who lost then won, and those who won then lost.
  • Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    8->4->2->1

Round 3 has 4 people to mix up with a 1-1 record. Those who lost then won, and those who won then lost.

Yeah, makes sense. Never really paid much attention, I had always assumed 3-4 and 5-6 would duke it out, but I guess it would make more sense for 3-4 to face 5-6 from a bracket perspective. Are we sure it’s random?
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    yeah, @Kyno it was explained fine above. Guess I misremembered or it's just early in the am and my brain isn't working. and I misread the guildmate's comment, he was talking round 2. disregard
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    yeah, Kyno it was explained fine above. Guess I misremembered or it's just early in the am and my brain isn't working. and I misread the guildmate's comment, he was talking round 2. disregard

Ok, cool.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    They should just remove the numeric rankings from that screen.