SWkotorGOH? What's next?

Replies

• CazNeerg
    361 posts Member
    Droideka wrote: »
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    If you dont like it, dont level gear those char, simple.
    Be patient, you will get your turn.
    But what if our turn is bad? I waited a long time for the GG rework just for him to be terrible, while all of these KOTOR toons have been running the meta for a year. Whatever is in store down the road, it will probably never have the dominance that KOTOR has had in this game.

That's probably not true. Think about it. Episode IX Rey will probably have a Jedi tag and be a triple zeta. When they get around to adding Beat Poet Luke from ROTJ, he will have a Jedi tag and likely be a triple zeta. Long term, the meta is going to be Jedi. JKR may or may not keep the lead spot, but even if he does it will just be one slot on the team.
  • CazNeerg
    361 posts Member
    Scottacus wrote: »
    I loved the KOTOR games, but I'm over it too. Bastilla, Bindo, and Juhani are dynamic and interesting while Anakin Skywalker and Mace f'n Windo are sitting over here as trash toons... it's just bizarre.

That's more on when they were released than it is on which part of Star Wars they come from. Anakin and Windu were both released as one off characters back when most players didn't even have arena squads with synergy, they weren't designed to work particularly well with any other specific characters. The OR Jedi were explicitly tailored to work well with a JKR lead. The problem isn't that OR is overpowered, it's just that they are better designed compared to older releases. We need a lot of reworks of older content to bring it up to the same design standard.
  • If were going to keep porting characters from Star Wars video games, how bout we port the main character from the best Star Wars video game ever? You know, Maarek Stele, the protagonist from Tie Fighter. And while were at it, give him a tie interceptor to fly!
  • Khayman
    850 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Give me Kyle Katar, Dash Rendar and the Outrider and I will be happy. I am completely indifferent to the KOTOR toons. All of the characters that make up the lore have their place.
  • Merek and rendar would be welcome additions.
    Since they have wampa, more beasts would be cool as well. Corrilean hounds? Those crazy vampire things from legends, a Yuuzhan Vong faction?

So much can still be done that is not hollywood and kotor related.
  • What’s next?

I hope an end to the KOTOR content year long boredom. It’s terrible for the majority that care nothing for that old game. Yes, 30% of the people love it I suppose but really. Give us a break. I’m so tired of seeing this garbage. No one likes the meta we have and even worse we keep getting garbage from OR. When they finally release something from another era, what do they do, they screw that up. This is the worst stretch of the game we have seen.
  • IronCross wrote: »
    What’s next?

I hope an end to the KOTOR content year long boredom. It’s terrible for the majority that care nothing for that old game. Yes, 30% of the people love it I suppose but really. Give us a break. I’m so tired of seeing this garbage. No one likes the meta we have and even worse we keep getting garbage from OR. When they finally release something from another era, what do they do, they screw that up. This is the worst stretch of the game we have seen.

Heaven forbid they actually give well written stories and characters their due in a Star Wars game. I bet you wanted a dominant GG and Separatists rework didn’t you?
  • Strubz
    429 posts Member
    There are still a bunch of untapped toons from KOTOR 2. Honestly I would rather them just finish off the remaining KOTOR content now, get it done with. It'd be a shame if we didn't get Bao-Dur.

That being said, even as a massive fan of KOTOR, we're overdue for a change of pace at this point. The last movie for the Skywalker saga is coming out in 9 months. How far in advance were toons released for the last few movies? We may have another 6 months or so of "other" content before we get the new movie toons and the meta shifts away from KOTOR.
  • Scottacus wrote: »
    I loved the KOTOR games, but I'm over it too. Bastilla, Bindo, and Juhani are dynamic and interesting while Anakin Skywalker and Mace f'n Windo are sitting over here as trash toons... it's just bizarre. I'm all for new and interesting content, but the focus seems to be way off. That's not even mentioning Revan as the supreme meta killer of all metas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Totally agree with you. It’s time for the KOTOR to end.
  • It would seem reasonable to me if they finished the content from the first KOTOR now, then waited on the rest of the KOTOR 2 content until after the new movie and season 7 of Clone Wars.
  • I never played KOTOR, so I'm still a bit bewildered by the apparent passion for characters from one video game to be ported into a completely different video game with completely different mechanics.

I played both KOTORs, loved them, but...I’m bewildered by the apparent passion too.
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • Strubz wrote: »
    There are still a bunch of untapped toons from KOTOR 2. Honestly I would rather them just finish off the remaining KOTOR content now, get it done with. It'd be a shame if we didn't get Bao-Dur.

That being said, even as a massive fan of KOTOR, we're overdue for a change of pace at this point. The last movie for the Skywalker saga is coming out in 9 months. How far in advance were toons released for the last few movies? We may have another 6 months or so of "other" content before we get the new movie toons and the meta shifts away from KOTOR.

They haven’t even exhausted all possibilities from the OT. This game can endlessly go on.
  • JohnAran
    312 posts Member
    Strubz wrote: »

I mean they could, and that’s just a wild idea i know, but it’s possible, they could just release more kotor content without making it absolute ressource sink priority.
    People like me are getting sick of kotor not because they don’t like or don’t know it, they are getting sick of kotor because almost every single character from that era released in the game has been basically mandatory either as meta or as requirement. They’ve been dominating pvp forever, they crush pve, now we’re starting to get pilots/ships so no area in this game is safe from their absolute domination.

It’s not just an overwhelming amount of old republic content, it’s that you can’t even get away from it without totally giving up any hope of performing in the game.

Please move away from kotor now meta-wise. They can keep releasing kotor stuff, and start working on kotor 2, just without making it the best course of farming for the next 6 months when it’s been over a year already.
  • The First Order will reign soon!
  • The First Order will reign soon!

I hope so
  • MasterSeedy
    4965 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    The problem isn't that OR is overpowered, it's just that they are better designed compared to older releases.

Wait, what?

The problem isn't that the toons are too powerful, it's just that they "designed" them to be powerful? What kind of weirdness is that.

No one is saying anything about why the toons are overpowered. And, frankly, it doesn't matter whether the toons are overpowered because EA was bribed or because EA had an enthusiastic designer that couldn't stop adding powers or because the original designers were incompetent or because Skynet's AI hacked EA.

These toons are more powerful than those toons to an extent that many people consider at least somewhat problematic. That literally IS the problem. Nobody knows for sure why these toons are overpowered - though I've put forward my "satisfying the munchkins" theory - except the designers themselves. But saying that overpowered toons are somehow magically not overpowered because they're "better designed" is, once again, weird.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    The problem isn't that OR is overpowered, it's just that they are better designed compared to older releases.

Wait, what?

The problem isn't that the toons are too powerful, it's just that they "designed" them to be powerful? What kind of weirdness is that.

No one is saying anything about why the toons are overpowered. And, frankly, it doesn't matter whether the toons are overpowered because EA was bribed or because EA had an enthusiastic designer that couldn't stop adding powers or because the original designers were incompetent or because Skynet's AI hacked EA.

These toons are more powerful than those toons to an extent that many people consider at least somewhat problematic. That literally IS the problem. Nobody knows for sure why these toons are overpowered - though I've put forward my "satisfying the munchkins" theory - except the designers themselves. But saying that overpowered toons are somehow magically not overpowered because they're "better designed" is, once again, weird.

How about this one; none of the OR toons are over powered, it's all the other toons that are underpowered. You don't bite it? Ok xD

Edit:

I read the full post you quoted. You've taken him completely out of context and I agree in his original context.

Full team synergies are rather new in the game and most of the teams designed that way makes it to the secondary teams we all use across.

Revan is certainly overdesigned in every way though. Besides the kit-creep he causes the numerical amounts in the things he provides is over the top as well.

Then there's also stats creep in the game. Here's an example. Wedge (an almost op early meta and that's only after he got revamped to this state) and Revan.

mavl0ctbb5qp.png
    jlvuk55ve5fy.png

Lastly to point out how we reached here, back in the day a toon with a single mass buff/debuff was rather rare and very useful. Nowadays we consider toons that doesn't do that in spades junk. And toons like Jolee are capable of almost reseting their teams to square one.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    I'll bet they make more money on KOTOR content than they will on sequel trilogy content.

I believe it.... how many people never bought or played the game has downloaded it or bought online to play..... $$$$$& free monies
  • Madlax
    119 posts Member
    Khayman wrote: »
    Give me Kyle Katar, Dash Rendar and the Outrider and I will be happy. I am completely indifferent to the KOTOR toons. All of the characters that make up the lore have their place.

+ to Kyle Katarn! The Jedi Knight series were next to Kotor1+2 my fav SW games. Also waiting for Mara Jade!
  • CazNeerg
    361 posts Member
    Madlax wrote: »
    + to Kyle Katarn! The Jedi Knight series were next to Kotor1+2 my fav SW games. Also waiting for Mara Jade!

I would bet money we never see Mara Jade. Any recognizable version of her would be deeply connected to Luke, and I'm not sure Disney left any room in his history for a romance of that depth. Some version of Kyle Katarn is probably more doable, but even that I wouldn't hold my breath for.
  • How about this one; none of the OR toons are over powered, it's all the other toons that are underpowered. You don't bite it? Ok xD
    Edit:
    I read the full post you quoted. You've taken him completely out of context and I agree in his original context.
    Full team synergies are rather new in the game and most of the teams designed that way makes it to the secondary teams we all use across.

So what you're saying is, he's not overpowered, he just has a synergy power that is overpowered.

Okay.

The excuses everyone keeps making. Seriously! Is Revan more powerful than other characters in the game?

Yes.

Is there a general power-creep trend?

Yes.

Did Revan make that problem worse?

Yes.

Does it matter whether he did it with synergies or with buffs or with whatever?

Nope.
    Power is power. If he's vastly more powerful than most other toons, then it doesn't matter whether he's more powerful because of synergy or because of something else in his kit. It's still his kit, and he's still more powerful than the other toons.

Y'all keep trying to say, "Well, he's overpowered, but that's because other toons are terrible," but they are only terrible in comparison. If the only toons in the game more powerful than Bodhi Rook were Zarriss & QGJ, then everyone would be saying Zarriss & zQGJ were overpowered. It's never an absolute measure. it's always a comparative measure. & whether it comes from synergy or something aspect of the kit doesn't change the fact that Revan's power level permits the Revan toon to dominate.

Why can't people just admit that? Going through circumlocutions like, "they're not more powerful, they're better designed" is just silly.

Now, if you like a changing meta where every new toon gets to be overpowered for three months, then fine. No one is saying you have to personally dislike Revan's power level (or to like it). We're just saying that Revan's power level is greater than the other toons. Dancing around the question won't change the fact that everyone else already knows the answer. Rather than making you look like you have a deep, sophisticated, & nuanced view of the game, you instead look like a sophist.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I'm not denying anything you said. You just failed at reading mine. Just like you misquoted the previous poster, you failed to see the humor in the opening line and then went onto misquote me too. You seem to be assuming I'm at polar opposite to the cause you took up which is nowhere near the case either.

There is a single thing I don't agree in your reply though. The root causes, the whys and historical perspective hugely matters. These things didn't fall from the sky all of a sudden.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    If anything is still misunderstood here's putting it in the simplest terms;

Revan is the worst power creep spike that happened in the game. I hope it never gets repeated. And in the case that this is a new mindset CG took on which will become the norm I will consider quitting.

I'm not against power creep whatsoever. It's not whether there's power creep or not. Creep is the bread and butter of persisting online games. It's all about the degree of it (rate).

I don't give a single duck about lore perspectives, enough OR things, fandom divisions according to different mediums, periods, lores. SW matters little to me and for the part that it does matter I don't push it on this game. They could reskin it into something else and I would still play it, because I enjoy the game itself.

I mean I shouldn't need to put up a flag of my general opinion on each post in order to express my opinion or risk being a sophist. Posts doesn't happen in isolation and I made quite a number of them.
    Post edited by No_Try on
  • It's not Revan that's so powerful though; it's very specific squad compositions with Revan as the lead. Take Jolee and Grandmaster Yoda out of the mix, and a Revan squad is no longer anything intimidating.

The power level you see with the right Revan squad isn't excessive, it's where the power level for any squad with a triple zeta lead *should* be. The problem is that CLS, JTR, and any future triple zetas, need to have squad synergy on par with JKR. Not the crap that CLS and JTR currently get from Rebels/Resistance. The "meta" shouldn't be all JKR, but it probably should be all triple zeta leaders with strong squad synergy.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    I didn't play kotor but apparently it had a freaking great story line. My logic on this topic is:

Kotor is a game.
    Swgoh is also a game.
    Gamers play games.
    Majority of swgoh gamers played kotor.
    Profit.
  • Stokat
    822 posts Member
    CazNeerg wrote: »
    It's not Revan that's so powerful though; it's very specific squad compositions with Revan as the lead. Take Jolee and Grandmaster Yoda out of the mix, and a Revan squad is no longer anything intimidating.

The power level you see with the right Revan squad isn't excessive, it's where the power level for any squad with a triple zeta lead *should* be. The problem is that CLS, JTR, and any future triple zetas, need to have squad synergy on par with JKR. Not the crap that CLS and JTR currently get from Rebels/Resistance. The "meta" shouldn't be all JKR, but it probably should be all triple zeta leaders with strong squad synergy.

Exactly this.

And i want to reiterate that JKR isn’t a kotor meta as much as it is a Jedi meta. It is the Jedi faction that benefit the most from his abilities and it only becomes so OP with a full Jedi team (not OR).
  • Don't you understand that kotor fanbase is probably bigger than any other after what we got so far? Content from cartoons and movies are nearly finished. We got many duplicates of certain characters like for example 5 hans.
    The new trilogy turned out to be failure for many people and looks like it's bad source of content for swgoh so far. So this is why now we are here at KOTOR.
    There are some mentions about kyles and starkillers but guess what! Kotor is more known, awaited and profitable.
    Soon content of kotor 1 will be finished. After this new things will come, clones? 9th movie? Maybe some minor things if there will be suitable space of time for this. But not yet, not now.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Hopefully we can move on to the legacy era with Mara Jade / Kyle Katarn / Darth Krayt etc

+1000. I’d love to see a ysalamari-trooper (not sure on spelling...) that makes empire under thrawn a counter to Jedi. As well as a DS Mara Jade Imperial assassin character.