Ship Mods... Droids?

So, a post from another forum topic questioned why R2D2 wasn't a co-pilot for Anakin (or some yet to be released Luke ship) and it reminded me of a similar question I had about BB8 and Poe.. now, when I had that question, I immediately understood that both R2 and BB8 are not farmable and typically might take someone quite a bit of time to acquire, gear, and level up, so that likely factored into the characters' present design and exclusion from ships.

That got me thinking, though... Droids are undeniably an integral part of many of the ships in the Star Wars universe, so how do we go about reflecting that?

My thoughts: Handle droids on ships in a similar way/mechanic that mods are handled. An open slot on every/most ships that any Droid can be dropped into to provide stat boosts, certain skills, etc. Obviously this would require some tweaking of the current droids already slotted to certain ships, but would:
- Allow for more variety in the present ship side of the game (which it currently lacks)
- Open new opportunities for Droid characters (The rest of the R series of astromech droids, protocol droids, pilot droids, etc.)
- Allow droids to be rightfully associated with ships, but not prevent the player from using the ships without them.

Pretty great idea, right?

Replies

• Options
    So you would actually have to have the droid? Also would that mean that we could put artoo in a tie fighter or something and he would actually show up during battle.
  • Options
    The point is that you wouldn't have to have the Droid to fly the ship, and adding him just provides a boost or maybe a special skills. And yes, in this idea, r2 could be placed in a tie fighter.
  • Options
    I wonder if that was what they had planned when they first brought out ships, because the icon was there with text suggesting astromech upgrades, but then it turned into reinforcement abilities.