Old Republic tag

Prev1
Why don’t all the characters that are from the Old Republic getting the tag? Looking in the direction of the Triumvirate and other three sith lackeys (Marauder, Assassin and Trooper)

Replies

• DarthMufasa4
    214 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It would be like saying why isnt GG a part of the Galactic Republic. The Old Republic is an organisation not a time period. The sith (the enemies of the republic) are most certainly not part of this.

Now as for why characters like Visas Marr and HK arent a part of it. Well I reckon its because the Old Republic also means in this case, synergy with Carth, JKR and the rest of the group. So Visas Marr didnt travel at this time so no synergy.
    HK is an old toon whos getting a rework, he will prob get the Old Republic tag.
    Even Fallen Bastilla would know how to operate with either side as they have worked together.

Im not saying its perfect and obviously the game has to justify certain interactions, but there are clearly bonds between the characters to justify
  • Options
    But dark bast is sith AND OR
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Options
    You could ask the same question for other characters/factions. I still argue that Old Ben did less for the rebellion than veteran smugglers Han and Chewie did for the resistance, but the vets are not part of the resistance and Old Ben is a rebel (with synergy for rebels).
  • Options
    Riffinator wrote: »

Sith assassin, trooper and marauder are part of the sith empire, Bastilla (i do not believe fallen bastilla is). She still has worked heavily for the republic and has some justification for have tags in both

Again not perfect, i admit
  • Options
    HK-47, and Marr should both have the OR tag, as they were both characters in the game.
  • Options
    GhostRep wrote: »
    HK-47, and Marr should both have the OR tag, as they were both characters in the game.

I agree - the Old Republic tag should be on the characters you traveled with and could play. The triumvirate shouldn't have the OR tag, but Marr and HK should.
  • Options
    Well HK is getting a rework soon, so he could get the tag then
  • Options
    OR is being used for KOTOR1 right now.

Visas, DN, Traya, and Sion are KOTOR2.

Not saying it is right, but this is what we see.
  • Options

Sith assassin, trooper and marauder are part of the sith empire, Bastilla (i do not believe fallen bastilla is). She still has worked heavily for the republic and has some justification for have tags in both

And Darth Vader should have the galactic republic too
  • Options

No cause we have episode 4 DV, not episode 3 DV
  • Options
    But of course this tag issue is throughout the entire game. Ahsoka Fulcrum should also have the Phoenix tag. Vet Han and Chewie should be Resistance. Jango should be Separatist. Nest should be Rebel. Tarkin should be Galactic Republic.

Agree on most,but Jango probably is as much of a separatist as Boba was part of the Empire. And Tarkin is shown as Grand Moff Tarkin, a political position not even created until years into the reign of the Empire, so a republic tag wouldn't be applicable to this version of him.
    Even when it comes to Revan, the Jedi and Darth versions of Revan were never really in Knights of the Old Republic, just quick flash backs. It’s all backstory stuff that happens before you begin the game. Revan lost his memories and you slowly find out who your character really was. Technically Revan’s his Sith name, like Vader is to Anakin, and Malak is to Alek—his Jedi name is unknown. So calling him Jedi Revan is an oxymoron, and would be like calling the Anakin at the end of RotJ “Jedi Vader.” It doesn’t make sense. That’s how obscure the ingame versions of Revan were in KotOR.

Yet, Revan dominates SWGOH—a character not even considered canon anymore. 🙄

According to the lore, Revan took the name "Revan" years before he fell to the dark side. It wasn't a sith name. Alek changed his name to Malak well before he became Sith as well. So yes, there was a Jedi Knight Revan and technically a Jedi Knight Malak too.
    "Seinar Systems' basic TIE Fighter—a commodity which, after hydrogen and stupidity, was the most plentiful in the galaxy."
    ―Corran Horn
  • Options
    As was already said, they haven't been using the OR tag to cover either the faction or the time period, just to cover characters who were in the first game. If it was really a tag for the faction, some characters who have it would need to lose it, and if it was the time period, a *lot* of characters would need to gain it.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Options
    Some characters would be OP if they had the tag...
  • Options
    On a related note, if they want to treat the OR tag as factional rather than period based, they need to add a Sith Empire tag (which is not the same thing as either Sith or Empire) - after which the Sith Trooper needs to lose his Sith tag and gain a Sith Empire one. And Canderous would need a Mandalorian faction tag.
  • Options
    I don't really care for any of this OR/KOTOR stuff, so I don't really care who gets the tag. That being said, why did I take the time and effort to get Visas to 7*?
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Options
    I don't really care for any of this OR/KOTOR stuff, so I don't really care who gets the tag. That being said, why did I take the time and effort to get Visas to 7*?

Now see, if you *did* care about KOTOR, you would have realized there was basically no chance you were going to need Visas for Darth Revan.
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Marr is a trivial character now. Had a nitche in P1 Sith Raid, but the team is better with revan in p2

Give Marr OR tag and she would be a solid character again. with Jedi tag, doubly so
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    Marr is a trivial character now. Had a nitche in P1 Sith Raid, but the team is better with revan in p2

Give Marr OR tag and she would be a solid character again. with Jedi tag, doubly so

Id be for that... but it wont happen
  • Options
    Meh, tags are designed to give people synergy with certain toons. Withholding a tag prevents toons from becoming too powerful. So by keeping OR off Visas you prevent giving Revan 2 toons that can resurrect (you think Jolee’s bad now!). But as to OP’s question, those toons were not a part of the Old Republic. Badstila could arguably be considered a part of it, since you could recruit her to help you kill sith depending on how you played the game.
  • Options
    Maybe they should just get 'revanist' tag despite the fact it comes from another times in OR
  • Options
    Enerdrizer wrote: »
    Maybe they should just get 'revanites' tag despite the fact it comes from another times in OR

• Options
    It would be like saying why isnt GG a part of the Galactic Republic. The Old Republic is an organisation not a time period. The sith (the enemies of the republic) are most certainly not part of this.

Now as for why characters like Visas Marr and HK arent a part of it. Well I reckon its because the Old Republic also means in this case, synergy with Carth, JKR and the rest of the group. So Visas Marr didnt travel at this time so no synergy.
    Even Fallen Bastilla would know how to operate with either side as they have worked together.

Im not saying its perfect and obviously the game has to justify certain interactions, but there are clearly bonds between the characters to justify

It's an era as well but I was told the developers were going with revan followers only get OR tag
  • Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »

Id be for that... but it wont happen

Her amount of tags is disgusting. A wasted attempt with what should've been an amazing toon
  • Options
    You could ask the same question for other characters/factions. I still argue that Old Ben did less for the rebellion than veteran smugglers Han and Chewie did for the resistance, but the vets are not part of the resistance and Old Ben is a rebel (with synergy for rebels).
    Old Ben brought characters together and put Luke on the path for a Jedi. Vet Han just transported Rey and Finn to see his baby mamma. Rey and Finn were already going to look for the resistance without Han's interference. But I wont argue that they both made a great emotional impact on the antagonist. I have no opinion on Chewie.
  • Options

It's an era as well but I was told the developers were going with revan followers only get OR tag

Whilst there is indeed the era for the old republic, there is also the era of the republic and the era of the empire. My point was more that people arent categorised by eras but groups. In this case you said revan followers get the tag, and my quote supports this

(i hope im not over explaining something when you are agreeing with me, or at least i think you are, not in the best state of mind)
  • CandymanJML2
    528 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

No cause we have episode 4 DV, not episode 3 DV

I would not give Ep3 Vader the republic tag either since as soon as he became Vader he worked for palpatine new empire
  • Options
    I would not give Ep3 Vader the republic tag either since as soon as he became Vader he worked for palpatine new empire

This illustrates some of the silliness of the way they approached faction tags in this game. The Republic and the Empire are the same nation. The only difference is a vote from the Senate to make the Supreme Chancellor an Emperor instead. Anakin was always working for Palpatine, he just wasn't always aware Palps was a Sith.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Bnorth86 wrote: »
    Why don’t all the characters that are from the Old Republic getting the tag? Looking in the direction of the Triumvirate and other three sith lackeys (Marauder, Assassin and Trooper)

The statement from the dev team about this is that the Old Republic is the organization and not the time period.

It makes sense for most cases, but the Sith being given this tag would not.
    GhostRep wrote: »

They said this was on the table at the time of the above statement.