How do points work in GA?

Rebuc
85 posts Member
I'm confused on how points work in GA.

On this round I set 6/6 def teams plus the one fleet. My opponent only set 2/6 plus his one fleet.

I killed one of his teams, the other was Revan, so no chance for me (setting 6 teams spread me too thin to be able to even try his meta team of Revan, GK, GMY, Bast, and Jol), and I also killed his fleet.

He killed all 6 of mine, plus my fleet.

Right now it's sitting with me at 876 points, him at 1120.

Shouldn't the fact that I actually set 6/6 count higher than his killing 6/6? As it is, it appears offense is worth more than defense because he killed more than I did...yet if anything, it should be more even because I set more defense than he did.

I don't understand how this works. What's the point of setting a max defense if it doesn't count as much as a max offense?

So wait...looking at the basic math of it all...

Me = (6 def + 1 fleet) + (1 off kill + 1 fleet kill) = 9
Him = (2 def + 1 fleet) + (6 off kills + 1 fleet kill) = 10

Is that why? Doing the basic math of our individual defenses plus kills, he's one ahead of me? If we both placed everything and killed everything from each other, we'd be at 14-14, but because he didn't drop a full defense, but killed all of mine, it still puts him one up on me?

Am I right in that?

Replies

• Rebuc
    85 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    So after looking at my alt account stats for GA, this is interesting.

Again, basic math..

Me = (3 def + 1 fleet) + (2 off kills + 1 fleet kill) = 7
    Him = (3 def + 1 fleet) + (3 off kills + 0 fleet kills) = 7

Yet the score shows me at 682 and him at 751.

The kittens?

Shouldn't we be even? Fleet kills aren't worth the same as team kills?
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    If you click on info, it breaks down the banners for you.

You get a huge bonus for beating a territory. So your opponent got an extra 300 banners just for killing your top territory where you could not. Subtract that off and they are 56 banners behind you. Given the difference between setting defense and max victory, they may have fought more efficiently than you. You get bonus points for unused slots, full health, full protection, etc.

Their score (assuming your bracket has the same scoring system as mine): Def: 100+90+90 + Terr.Bonus: 300 + 155 = 735. (1120-735)/7 = 55 average banners per battle.

Your score: Def: 100 + 90*6 + Terr.Bonus: 155 = 795. (876-795)/2 = 40.5 banners per kill. By any chance, did you take two teams or fleets to defeat one of theirs? You lose a bunch of banners for the first try bonus.

But yeah, if you had beat the other team and conquered the other territory, you would have still won just due to your opponent losing banners from setting defense.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Conquering the squad zone is worth more points than the fleet zone.
  • Rebuc
    85 posts Member
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    If you click on info, it breaks down the banners for you.

You get a huge bonus for beating a territory. So your opponent got an extra 300 banners just for killing your top territory where you could not. Subtract that off and they are 56 banners behind you. Given the difference between setting defense and max victory, they may have fought more efficiently than you. You get bonus points for unused slots, full health, full protection, etc.

Their score (assuming your bracket has the same scoring system as mine): Def: 100+90+90 + Terr.Bonus: 300 + 155 = 735. (1120-735)/7 = 55 average banners per battle.

Your score: Def: 100 + 90*6 + Terr.Bonus: 155 = 795. (876-795)/2 = 40.5 banners per kill. By any chance, did you take two teams or fleets to defeat one of theirs? You lose a bunch of banners for the first try bonus.

But yeah, if you had beat the other team and conquered the other territory, you would have still won just due to your opponent losing banners from setting defense.

Thanks, that helps...some. It would be better if the bonus was only available if you set max defense yourself, that way you have to play fully to get the full available score.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, it seems like a bit of a loophole in the system. In theory setting one or two defenses should increase the likelihood your opponent will defeat you, and you've sold yourself short on getting the defensive banners.

However, if there's one squad your opponent can't beat, well, that's a way to take advantage of it. But that's also open for debate, as if you don't have that squad or the counters to that squad, what have you been doing with your roster and resources. If you have a counter but set it on defense despite being able to preview their roster beforehand, then there's the issue of defensive/offense balance strategy. So someone will likely come out and tell you it's totally fair.

Mind you, there aren't many people on here saying that the other person robbing you of the chance to gain credits is an ok design. That is definitely the main problem with the set up and the way the auto defense currently works.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Since the opponent only set 2 squads on defense, shouldn't OP also have earned points corresponding to 'defeating' the 4 missing teams?

• crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

Since the opponent only set 2 squads on defense, shouldn't OP also have earned points corresponding to 'defeating' the 4 missing teams?

I haven't had a situation like this personally, but I don't think it works this way. And if it did, then OP did terribly in the two battles or is in a bracket with a lot fewer banners. But adding up opponent's score seems to make sense.

It seems like getting full offense banners would be a nice way to further guard against this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

Territory war doesn’t work this way, but I’ve never run into this in GA. In theory, it’s just easier to take the territory because there’s fewer teams to beat.

At 90 points for defense and only 64 possible on offense, the other person would have been better off setting 4 more teams of all level 1. It wouldn’t have changed the OP’s ability to beat Revan.