Jolee and advantage VS crit avoidance

salamimeister3
15 posts Member
edited March 2019
So a question occured to me lately, regarding the buff advantage and the stat crit avoidance.
So in my understanding, a character with advantage ("100% crit chance on next hit") cannot critically hit another character with the buff crit immunity ("cannot be critically hit").
But what happens, if a character with advantage tries to hit another character with 100% crit avoidance?
Many will ask, is 100% crit avoidance even possible to reach?
As far as I know, yes, with Jolee Bindo. So let's take a quick look at his 1st unique, which says "Jolee has 100% Tenacity and is immune to Turn Meter reduction effects. In addition, he gains bonus Critical Avoidance equal to half of his Tenacity.".
Of course only with this unique, he cannot reach the 100% crit avoidance, because he'd need 100% tenacity (the other 100% to get 200% is already included in his unique), which is not possible for tenacity has no additive stats on mods (like armor or health), but only stats based on percentages.
W'all know of course, that there's a leader ability, which gives Old Republic allies 30% crit avoidance: this comes from Carth Onasi and is additive.
So this way, Jolee would only need 70% crit avoidance to reach the 100%. The 70% again is easily reached, he only needs 140% Tenacity, from which 100% are already given through his 1st unique.

So what if my Jolee has, let's say 50% tenacity: he gains other 100% from his 1st unique, which means, he also gains the half of that amount (75%) in crit avoidance. And then, I put him under a Carth lead, which gives him an additional 30%, which concludes to the fact, that he has 105% crit avoidance in the end.

Alright, so we finally come to my question at the beginning:
What if a character with advantage tries to hit a Jolee with those stats calculated before?
Advantage quasi guarantees a crit hit, but crit avoidance obviously tries to avoid those crits.
Though, in my understanding, crit avoidance is not the same as crit immunity.

I'd be happy, if somebody (who of course knows how these things work) could tell me, if I'm right about those stats on Jolee and if he could answer my question regarding the advantage VS crit avoidance dilemma.

Thanks!

Replies

• crzydroid
    7314 posts Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Advantage gives +200% crit chance, so the crit would be more or less guaranteed if you only have 105% crit avoidance. To negate Advantage, you'd need crit avoidance equal to or greater than 200+attacker's total crit chance from other sources.

Without advantage, 105% crit avoidance should be enough to negate any crit, though it is possible for some characters to get close to 100% without boosts. So it really depends how many in game bonuses they have.
  • Options
    Ok thanks, so crit avoidance doesn't completely prevent crit hits, it just negates them, until its value is higher, than the attacker's crit chance.
    Though, in the ingame description for advantage, i think i saw +100% and not +200% crit chance. Also, +100% would make more sense to me, bc the older description was "Guaranteed Critical Hit on next attack".
    Or am I wrong?
  • crzydroid
    7314 posts Moderator
    Options
    The in game descriptions have been known to be wrong before, or perhaps in game was intended to mean 100% chance in the general sense instead of in terms of game mechanics. Mechanics on swgoh.gg say 200%.

The reason it gives +200 and not +100, is because I suppose they want the "guaranteed" critical hit to override any crit avoidance the target might have. However, they cap it there, so crit immunity takes precedence (which is +999900% crit negation).
  • Options
    Ok i understand now, thank you!
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    The in game descriptions have been known to be wrong before, or perhaps in game was intended to mean 100% chance in the general sense instead of in terms of game mechanics. Mechanics on swgoh.gg say 200%.

The reason it gives +200 and not +100, is because I suppose they want the "guaranteed" critical hit to override any crit avoidance the target might have. However, they cap it there, so crit immunity takes precedence (which is +999900% crit negation).

I believe when a ability has stated that the critical hit will be guaranteed If certain conditions are met have a similar +999900% .GC are quite lazy like this so there have been instances where advantage can tip the scales apparently.
  • crzydroid
    7314 posts Moderator
    Options
    Hm. Poe Dameron's ship, which guarantees crit on no protection, also only gets +200%. Likewise, FOO's guaranteed crit when an ally has advantage is +200%. Can you point to a character that gets more?
  • Options
    Ok, so if a text says "guaranteed crit hit", then it's kinda similar to advantage, and the character only gets +200%, not like crit immunity, where you get this 999900% or whatever
  • Options
    Are they trying to avoid the extra coding required to separate out whether or not a character can be critically hit? Seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to add an if requirement prior to calculating a critical hit (e.g. if character has immunity, don’t calculate and no critical, then if character has advantage don’t calculate and will critical, then if neither are true, calculate).
  • salamimeister3
    15 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    But then you'll have the same dilemma, where you have to choose, either crit hits over crit immunity or the opposite. Because if one character has advantage (which according to your description will always crit) and the other has crit immunity (the character can never be critically hit), then you have a problem. That's why CG gave those stats or buffs a value and in this case, favored crit immunity over advantage (which then only gets a "small" value compared to the crit negation value).
  • Droideka
    615 posts Member
    Options
    It is possible for advantage to not critically hit. Jolee can get very high critical avoidance. Combine that with a 6 dot crit avoidance arrow and critical chance down on a low crit-chance attacker, they may not crit.
  • Options
    yes exactly.