Bastilla Shan - small change, big difference...

Clearly, with all the toons in need of an update, Bastilla was the clear choice. She was utterly useless before...

But now, thanks to her Battle Meditation being undisspellable, I've now fallen 100 places (from top 20 to 121).

I run a 'fringe' Grievous squad. I've always known I would fall massively on defence but now, thanks to this little change, Revan teams have a persistent counter which absolutely churns me up with every AoE (of which I have 4).

The real issue here isn't so much my own fate, it's the pandering to the top 10%. The fact that this change is yet another 'can't be defeated by any actual game mechanics' makes it all the more worse.

I get that they need to look after their top line (8 HM refreshes clearly wasn't making enough money) but how's about they spare a little thought for the folks who have been here since 2015?

I don't want to be top of the food chain, but I don't want my train set to be broken just so others can still play with theirs...
Just because more people say it, doesn't make it more right.

Replies

• Dan_z
    103 posts Member
    Options
    Similar situation here. Was able to comfortably sit in the top 100 with my palp, thrawn,nihilus,badstilla,sion team but now plummeting to around 200.
    Scratching my head to know how to compete again!
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    So maybe use another squad?
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    I have another squad, two in fact (Revan and CLS). But if that's your response then you completely missed the point.

To follow that mentality to its logical conclusion, then your solution is to keep using other squads until you're eventually using the squad that everyone else is. The bland, uninventive meta, full of PtW toons. That's not the point.

I was already using a tough squad with the odds stacked against me. My point here is that we're now so far away from 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' we're now in an era of 'if it ain't OP, break it'.

I'm used to seeing power creep in other games but it normally stays in the top tiers. There is often a clearly definable gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. But when the rich are getting richer at the expense of the poor, there's a real issue. By this I mean that the top teams are being further enhanced to distance themselves from anything else.
  • Options
    You’re running a team you want to run, instead of using what works. I understand The power creep and it’s never dint o be on the other side of it, but if you know you now have a worse chance at winning yet still CHOOSE to run grievous over a better team idk what to tell you lol
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Repeat: Jedi Knight Revan was the worst character leading the worst team and they just fixed him with a much-needed buff.

Seriously though, the only reason I can think of for this is:

They actually WANT no more than 2 teams to dominate. This is hinted at by the lackluster GG changes, the Finn nerf, and the after the fact Bastilla buff and what appears to be Malak buff coming. It is after all the best way for them to make money. They just havent been so blatantly obvious about it until now.

I am glad they make money and think they should. But the rest of us need to get rid of any illusions a balanced arena. You will still be able to have sucees with a random team or two because the community is creative. But dont expect older teams to have much of a chance at top 50. If soneone shows too much promise for too long, they might get hit with the nerf cannon like poor old Finn, and to a lesser extent, zombie. Or a targeted buff to hurt one team like EP.

Maybe I'm wrong. Hope I am. But can't see there being any other conclusion given the Bastilla buff.
  • Options
    I think they want to have jedi revan and darth revan dominant
  • Ultra
    11504 posts Moderator
    Options
    I’m offended that you thought she was completely useless before
  • Options
    Triggered or sarcasm over sarcams? Can't tell.
    >:)So what? I want Krell!
  • Killbot5000
    714 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    They said they are all KOTOR fans. They made the Revan teams OP because the developers love kotor, no other reason.
    That is a BAD business model.

The Revans made the arena boring. The only point to playing now is to finish the daily objectives with the 2 required battles; and try to stay in the top 200 for the crystals. Thats it.

I won't stop playing the game yet, but that should have never been a reason to focus so heavily on characters that the majority doesn't care for other than needing them to stay competitive in the arena.

I doubt I will close my account, but if the rest of clone wars reworks are a bad a GG, then I will likely not log in very often.
  • Options
    I think my point's coming out now. 'They'. Why do They want to steer us in any particular direction? Why have They had to upset what was a well balanced game? Because They have been told to by their shareholders.

@Iwells911 - If you don't know what to tell me, then there's no obligation to post. I've already said I can choose (the non-capitalised version) to use another team. I've had GG, CLS and Revan at the number one spot at different times. You've missed the point.

'lol'

I just think this is a bad direction to go in. If they continue down this path of Revan Wars - Galaxy of Revan, then they're going to start haemorrhaging players.

Get this, taken from the Play Store description:

CREATE THE ULTIMATE TEAM
    Ultimate. Adjective. Being the best or most extreme example of its kind.

Rebel leaders? Imperial stalwarts?
    Neither. There will only be the Old Republic.

You’re free to choose as you construct elite light and dark side teams while collecting heroes and other characters from the Star Wars™ universe.
    But the 'ultimate team' will not be free. You will have to pay for it. Grind it out for free and it will be surpassed by the next PtW team. Yours will likely get nerfed to cater for the ultimate team.

Develop your strategy and make key moves in this epic RPG.
    With only one or two meta teams consisting on synergy-reliant toons, there is no strategy to be developed. Any strategy involving stats other than Speed is non-existent as everything is irrestible, undispellable etc. YouTube will probably give you the instruction manual on how to drive your Ultimate Team once you've bought it so again, no need to develop any of your own.

Pick teammates with complementary abilities and go to war with unbeatable squads!
    Or pick team mates with the exact same 2 meta teams as you and go to war against a guild with the exact same squads. Begun, the Speed Wars have because that is the difference between winning and losing.

Obviously, I'm being a little over-cynical. My beef is that I've put up with the power creep to keep the meta buoyant. Fine. Make your money. But you don't have to start messing with the players who aren't subscribing to your flavour of the month. I'm not even trying to compete with the meta - it's too hard with a non-meta team (and too dull with a meta team, as it happens). It's another step in the wrong direction, IMHO.
  • Hortus
    624 posts Member
    Options
    SifuSteve wrote: »
    But when the rich are getting richer at the expense of the poor, there's a real issue. By this I mean that the top teams are being further enhanced to distance themselves from anything else.

Did you missed the third team in current meta statistics? Leaded by some Imperial crooked guy in black robes? Can you please explain how Palpatine being counter for BOTH Revans fits in your theory?
  • Options
    Hortus wrote: »
    But when the rich are getting richer at the expense of the poor, there's a real issue. By this I mean that the top teams are being further enhanced to distance themselves from anything else.

Did you missed the third team in current meta statistics? Leaded by some Imperial crooked guy in black robes? Can you please explain how Palpatine being counter for BOTH Revans fits in your theory?
    Certainly. Palpatine with who?
  • Options
    ... a reason to focus so heavily on characters that the majority doesn't care for ...

Revan was the most requested addition to the game. For some time. That doesn't sound like a fringe request.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • SifuSteve
    439 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    ... a reason to focus so heavily on characters that the majority doesn't care for ...

Revan was the most requested addition to the game. For some time. That doesn't sound like a fringe request.

I'm inclined to agree. There was a very loud noise made by a very vocal few. Revan was definitely a big deal to a decent chunk of the player base. But in all honesty, I think if a pop-up appeared on every player's screen last year asking to choose between Revan and Jedi Luke Skywalker, that JLS would have won. The forums/Reddit reflect the vocal minority and aren't a reflection of the entire player base - they're a reflection of the most keen and active. For every one player on those platforms, there are hundreds (thousands?) who play but don't want to talk about it publicly.

That being said, I think it's irrelevant. The long gap between the ill-fated Solo movie and Ep9 has meant they've had to fill it with something meaningful to at least someone. Couple this with a fair absence (or success) of any other Star Wars media and you have the chance to put out a fan favourite, NB: not necessarily a player favourite.

I fully expect the TCW rework to be lacklustre. They've barely even started milking DR and Malak yet. The next metas will likely be Jedi Rey and Kylo Ren New Mask in time for Ep9 in December.
  • Options

He works well as a counter lead, but typically still has Revan in the team. There is not a team in the top 50 of my shard that does not have a Revan in it, even the EP teams.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Droideka wrote: »

He works well as a counter lead, but typically still has Revan in the team. There is not a team in the top 50 of my shard that does not have a Revan in it, even the EP teams.

I see some that have Palpatine lead, Triumvirate, and either Bastila Fallen or Sith Trooper.
  • Options
    Was winning before.. by using Emp, Badstilla... what happened exactly with Bastilla shan? Now I can't get FEAR to stick for the EMP train to roll. Did they buff Bastilla SPECIFICALLY to nerf this team? When Scion clears all their crap, I usually then cast fear, but now it keeps disappearing immediately. Is that what they fixed?
  • Options

Exactly, and they will "fix" this.
    >:)So what? I want Krell!
  • Options
    Noktarn wrote: »
    Was winning before.. by using Emp, Badstilla... what happened exactly with Bastilla shan? Now I can't get FEAR to stick for the EMP train to roll. Did they buff Bastilla SPECIFICALLY to nerf this team? When Scion clears all their crap, I usually then cast fear, but now it keeps disappearing immediately. Is that what they fixed?
    Bonus tenacity.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options

Yes it sure appears they targeted EP teams. She got bonus tenacity for her and Revan, and Battle Mediatation can no longer be dispelled.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »

Yes it sure appears they targeted EP teams. She got bonus tenacity for her and Revan, and Battle Mediatation can no longer be dispelled.

Quoting myself! The Malak buff is out and its confirmed - they are directly targeting EP.
  • Options

I wrote a response to this which didn't post because they moved the thread whilst I was typing. In that response I said that I actually felt the EP counter was an oversight and that it would probably get shut down. Enter a Malak buff to squash this resistance to the meta. I'm both happy to have seen it coming but utterly gutted to be proved right.
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    Options
    OP I feel you! I too ran a GG squad but I can only win maybe 2 out of 5 matches now. Even though my toons we're modded pretty well I couldn't keep up. I just had to resort back to a JTR chewie team.