Darth Revan & Malak- Why should He be able to Hold on Defense?

I'm not sure why people think Darth Revan and Malak teams should hold on defense.
Revan's whole leader kit is built around Pure Offense. If you're using him, you expect to win on Offense. (Baring God speed mod opponents)

Just because his kit and Fallen Bastila's include some anti Revan synergy does not mean he should Not Lose to Jedi Revan.
Malak's kit was better than what people thought it would be. Stacking defense and offense with 100% health damage on reset with health thresholds?
You tell me that kit didn't look super charged when we saw the reveal.

We wanted a Rock Paper Siccors meta right? Especially after months of mirror matches?
Let the teams fall on defense. Let the community come up with counters. It's finding these specific counters that make this game enjoyable.

Replies

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Then what's the "payoff" for investing all the time, crystals, and/or cash into earning Darth Revan and Malak?

Ostensibly it's to get higher raid scores, more resources, and stay at the top of the arena. I enjoy arena, and I enjoy the Darth Revan mirror matches way more than Jedi Revan mirror matches. That being said, I also enjoy only having to do 3-4 battles to get to #1, instead of 9-10. It takes considerably less of my day to do so.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Then what's the "payoff" for investing all the time, crystals, and/or cash into earning Darth Revan and Malak?

Except that was never a "payoff" promised, nor has that ever been the case in the 3+ year history of the game. And, such a reality would fly in the face of what CG has always intended - that is active arena play to obtain top payouts.

That's why the AI stinks, refreshes cost crystals, there's a timer, and there's a cool down timer between battles.

Nothing holds on defense. That's WAI and by design. DR + Malak is not going to be the first exception in 3+ years.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    He lets you breeze on offense, and forces them to play hard and hope for some rng on defense. you can not expect them to nerf everything in the game to make sure he can't be beat tho. It's **** to even think
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Nothing holds on defense. That's WAI and by design. DR + Malak is not going to be the first exception in 3+ years.

When Traya first came out, it was very difficult to defeat her. Strategies had to be developed, and most players still wanted to avoid Traya when there were only a few in the shard. It was just easier to attack the older squads.

Then, when Jedi Revan first came out, it held hard on defense. Enemy Traya players struggled mightily, and could only win with great RNG. Then Bastila fallen came out and made life easier for Traya players, but Revan could still cut through them easily. Players with great mods and strong Revan squads still floated close to the top even after 24 hours.

When Revan returned, a huge chunk of my shard got him, and all of a sudden players who normally didn't drop out of the top 20 could get knocked down into the 80s overnight. Sure, we could all still get to our traditional payouts, but it took a lot more playtime and was very annoying.

With Darth Revan, the players who got him were looking for a return to a similar standing like when Traya and Jedi Revan were first released. That is exactly how it has worked in the past, and exactly what most of the Malak players are hoping for right now.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

When Traya first came out, it was very difficult to defeat her. Strategies had to be developed, and most players still wanted to avoid Traya when there were only a few in the shard. It was just easier to attack the older squads.

Then, when Jedi Revan first came out, it held hard on defense. Enemy Traya players struggled mightily, and could only win with great RNG. Then Bastila fallen came out and made life easier for Traya players, but Revan could still cut through them easily. Players with great mods and strong Revan squads still floated close to the top even after 24 hours.

When Revan returned, a huge chunk of my shard got him, and all of a sudden players who normally didn't drop out of the top 20 could get knocked down into the 80s overnight. Sure, we could all still get to our traditional payouts, but it took a lot more playtime and was very annoying.

With Darth Revan, the players who got him were looking for a return to a similar standing like when Traya and Jedi Revan were first released. That is exactly how it has worked in the past, and exactly what most of the Malak players are hoping for right now.

There's a difference between "difficult to work out counters" and "holding on defense".
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options

There's a difference between "difficult to work out counters" and "holding on defense".

Absolutely. And the definition of each of those is subjective and relative to each player.

For me, "holding on defense" means that attacking the squad comes with a significant risk of loss for the majority of players. So hopefully the majority of players will choose to attack other squads instead of mine. I will only fall when players want the challenge of my squad, feel attacking me is their best option, or have a squad they believe is capable of easily defeating mine.

I don't expect Revan/Malak to "hold on defense" for 6 months. Absolutely not. I guess maybe a month, tops. It could be less than that - we shall see. I'm just expressing what I would like to see, and also what I feel is not unreasonable for players who invested in Malak. I don't expect the Devs to individually target each character that the community comes up with as a viable counter.
  • Options
    Why should a TANK that require the two hardest toons to get and their squads well geared and modded hold on defense? Gee I don't know should it?🙄
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Options
    because of the wait, the increased number of ftp getting him, the new gear, the time to do the malak event, unlocking at 5* another disappointment isn't sitting well with spenders.

It's been awhile now since their spending has given them an advantage.
  • Options

Ostensibly it's to get higher raid scores, more resources, and stay at the top of the arena. I enjoy arena, and I enjoy the Darth Revan mirror matches way more than Jedi Revan mirror matches. That being said, I also enjoy only having to do 3-4 battles to get to #1, instead of 9-10. It takes considerably less of my day to do so.

What’s the payoff for any other new character, or any old character? There shouldn’t be a guarantee for any character. There was no guarantee for JKR, there was no guarantee for GG. What about characters that actually couldn’t be obtained without paying? Nobody ever said “Krooper should be unbeatable” and the 2 probably cost more than the entire 2 teams needed for Malak.
  • Options

That's exactly the question people asked when it turned out that Grievous fell like a rock on defense. The answer was basically that they'd acquired a great team for GA and were supposed to experiment in the arena to find out what works best. Also, their mods might not be ideal.

Why should it be different for DR, who is also very offense-oriented? Especially since players who already unlocked Malak have two Revan teams to work with. Why not use one to climb and put the other on defense.
  • Options
    Dagonsith wrote: »
    Why should a TANK that require the two hardest toons to get and their squads well geared and modded hold on defense? Gee I don't know should it?🙄

Is there any tank in the game who makes a team near-unbeatable? They're all just annoyances in the end that make it a little harder to take out the damage dealers that keep hammering away at the attacking team. You either dispel them and leave them for last or go through them. What prevents you from winning is usually your team getting slaughtered by the rest of the enemy team.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I don't expect the Devs to individually target each character that the community comes up with as a viable counter.
    Except, that's precisely what they are doing with Malak. First they neutered zPalp teams. Now they're lining up JKA in their sites (even though they just reworked him this week... Lol).

The devs have decided to play the game for us. They dictate the meta, then, if they don't like how we play in response, they use nerfs to prescribe play.

That's not a game. And that's not variety or balance. That's just a digital version of "Mother, May I?"

Most of us want to play SWGOH - not this joke of a "game" Carrie's Clowns are turning it into. :D

• Javin37
    367 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
  • G20
    132 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    They dont want a rock paper scissors meta.

They want a whale meta where the whales can keep suckling on CGs breasts

That way the whales dont cry
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Heres the thing... GG was a rework, JKA is a rework. If they make reworks equal in power or able to easily beat the newest legendaries or journey teams, people will stop spending to get the newest meta journey character and they will lose their cash flow. All they need to do is limit JKA unique to trigger only for certain teams. I think their best bet is giving JKA a bonus turn and 20% damage increase when galactic republic allies fall below 50%, if GK or Ashoka falls below 50% get an additional 80% damage boost. That limits his viability in non republic teams, slightly lowers his damage in republic teams, but keeps his triumvirate focus.
  • Options
    Payoff will likely be a new capital ship with malak at the helm. It’ll make m ilf look like poop.
    Where are the Stun Guns?
  • Options

Is there any tank in the game who makes a team near-unbeatable? They're all just annoyances in the end that make it a little harder to take out the damage dealers that keep hammering away at the attacking team. You either dispel them and leave them for last or go through them. What prevents you from winning is usually your team getting slaughtered by the rest of the enemy team.

No there isn't. And there isn't any other toon that had the pay wall and ridiculous requirements needed to get the toon. It is in a class of it's own. Personally I refused to even participate in the event because it was a blatant cash grab that didn't even pretend to respect the players but with the way they rolled the toon out it should be a defining feature for those who were bamboozled into getting it. If the whales can't trust cg to at the very least give large volume purchasers a definitive edge then they cannot be trusted at all.
  • Options
    I was raised during a period where I didn't get a participation trophy for trying "real hard". Helped me understand what it takes to win in life.

Consequently I earned my Malek with good resource allocation and daily focus on arena's. 100% F2P. It's a grind.

We all can't win people and if you missed out that's on you, it was possible.

Thank you to the whales who keep this game going. Not liking how impo speed mods are on the new meta but I'm finding a way to still finish first even if I'm refreshing a bit more than normal.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    Can I just buy a ”win all battles” token for 1000 USD, please?
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Holding on defense is what makes a team worthwhile for arena. Lots of weird hodgepodge teams can beat Darth Revan, but they would all get destroyed on defense and you'd lose rank faster than you could gain it.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Zinke7
    194 posts Member
    Options

Because he and his entire team also come with 0 defense and 0 resistance.
  • Options
    Whales want it, so CG did it.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Holding on defense is what makes a team worthwhile for arena. Lots of weird hodgepodge teams can beat Darth Revan, but they would all get destroyed on defense and you'd lose rank faster than you could gain it.

A team that sacrifices all of it's defense for offense in combat should not be able to hold on defense. Especially since no team in 3+ years has been able to "hold on defense".

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    A team that sacrifices all of it's defense for offense in combat should not be able to hold on defense. Especially since no team in 3+ years has been able to "hold on defense".

Jedi Knight Revan did when he was first released.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Options

+1

Traya was also a nightmare for those that didn't have it..and an advantage for those that were in the first guilds that were clearing the raid. Some alliances even reshuffled and made super guilds to get that advantage which they enjoyed right up until JKR.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Now reread the first line of the part you quoted....

• Options
    Daishi wrote: »
    Heres the thing... GG was a rework, JKA is a rework. If they make reworks equal in power or able to easily beat the newest legendaries or journey teams, people will stop spending to get the newest meta journey character and they will lose their cash flow. All they need to do is limit JKA unique to trigger only for certain teams. I think their best bet is giving JKA a bonus turn and 20% damage increase when galactic republic allies fall below 50%, if GK or Ashoka falls below 50% get an additional 80% damage boost. That limits his viability in non republic teams, slightly lowers his damage in republic teams, but keeps his triumvirate focus.

Jka is fine as is. The only reason he destroys Dr is because he debuffs his own team into no Defense. Please get educated. We already have **** working at ea and don't need more **** confirming that they need to do more **** things.

Jka is fine as is