Make the Game Free-to-Play (Friendlier) Again

Been playing since release. Seen a lot of good, and nearly as much bad, come from this game. I’ve never played a single game every day for 3 1/2 years of my life and that was largely due to the consistent and descriptive updates that the devs provided. But after these past 6 months, it’s obvious that this has become a con relationship between the devs and the players. “Expected” to pay $5000 grand to keep up? Ridiculous. I’ve proudly “only” spent just under $200 on this game and I’ve placed #1 in both arenas plenty of times. I’m still there in ships, but I can’t crack 50 ever since I went F2P over 2 years ago. I get it, the whales need to come first. But it seems like the loyal long-term players who’ve spent a little here or a little there are punished. Why aren’t we adding characters to the GW or GA stores? Having new releases either be legendary or going to hard nodes and then lowering the attempts from 8 to 5 is a joke and a slap in the face to the time invested players. Please stop catering to the whales and place some characters in the stores again. “Make SWGoH F2P Again!”

Replies

• Options
    Been playing since release. Seen a lot of good, and nearly as much bad, come from this game. I’ve never played a single game every day for 3 1/2 years of my life and that was largely due to the consistent and descriptive updates that the devs provided. But after these past 6 months, it’s obvious that this has become a con relationship between the devs and the players. “Expected” to pay $5000 grand to keep up? Ridiculous. I’ve proudly “only” spent just under $200 on this game and I’ve placed #1 in both arenas plenty of times. I’m still there in ships, but I can’t crack 50 ever since I went F2P over 2 years ago. I get it, the whales need to come first. But it seems like the loyal long-term players who’ve spent a little here or a little there are punished. Why aren’t we adding characters to the GW or GA stores? Having new releases either be legendary or going to hard nodes and then lowering the attempts from 8 to 5 is a joke and a slap in the face to the time invested players. Please stop catering to the whales and place some characters in the stores again. “Make SWGoH F2P Again!”

You have no idea how FTP friendly this game is, this post made me physically roll my eyes.
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »

You have no idea how FTP friendly this game is, this post made me physically roll my eyes.

Well, all that op actually asked in the sea of tears, is some new characters in the stores and revert the 8 attempt from 5.
    I dont think these would break the game really.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    OP needs to start playing other mobile games, then he'd truly see how F2P friendly swgoh is compared to a lot of the other gacha games out there.

For one, most other gacha don't even let you farm all characters for free, and have some crazy 1% gacha summoning rate for the premium characters. At least swgoh makes all characters F2P farmable eventually.
  • Options
    200 dollars in 3 years is not loyalty bud.
  • Options
    Didn’t realize loyalty came with a price tag...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I don't know why everyone seems to think that the change to hardnodes only hurts f2p. p2p players need to spend more actual money to achieve the same results as prior to the change, how is that not hurting them just as much as f2p players, if not more? Is this based on the assumption that p2p players like spending more money or something, it honestly confuses the heck out of me.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone seems to think that the change to hardnodes only hurts f2p. p2p players need to spend more actual money to achieve the same results as prior to the change, how is that not hurting them just as much as f2p players, if not more? Is this based on the assumption that p2p players like spending more money or something, it honestly confuses the heck out of me.

P2p isnt generally used for a '10 dollar pack here and there' type of spenders, but whales.

Whales buy the characters from packs or directly from Shipments. It costs exactly the same for them, before and after the 8 to 5 change.

For the ftp, however, this prolongs the time they need to wait to play with the same toys by like 60%.

Easy to see why this hurts the f2p vs p2p concept.
  • Options
    Spending $10-50 or even $100 still makes you a P2P, yet at that budget you are likely still only buying refreshes and perhaps gear, but not packs and chromiums.
    The node attempt counter change leaves unaffected only those who were not affected by it before anyway. It is almost equally bad for everyone else.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

P2p isnt generally used for a '10 dollar pack here and there' type of spenders, but whales.

Whales buy the characters from packs or directly from Shipments. It costs exactly the same for them, before and after the 8 to 5 change.

For the ftp, however, this prolongs the time they need to wait to play with the same toys by like 60%.

So it hurts everyone except those that buy every toon for 300 bucks instead of just farming them, yet only the f2p players seem to complain about it.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options

So it hurts everyone except those that buy every toon for 300 bucks instead of just farming them, yet only the f2p players seem to complain about it.

Your first statement is correct, it does hurt light spenders too.
    The second, however, im not sure of. I personally, cant recall ANYONE defending the attempt nerf, not even whales/krakens. Light spenders should also revolt, and i think they do.
    Its just that CG doesnt care abiut either f2p or light spenders..
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    . “Expected” to pay $5000 grand to keep up? Ridiculous.

It would be ridiculous, but this was also never stated.

If your going to base your feedback on a dev statement, you should make sure that you are correctly quoting them.

The statement was to catch up, not keep up. This means that they do not expect average players to have to spend this much at all. They also only expect people to spend that if they want to, it's not a necessity.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    . “Expected” to pay $5000 grand to keep up? Ridiculous.

It would be ridiculous, but this was also never stated.

If your going to base your feedback on a dev statement, you should make sure that you are correctly quoting them.

The statement was to catch up, not keep up. This means that they do not expect average players to have to spend this much at all. They also only expect people to spend that if they want to, it's not a necessity.

^^This, 100%

The game can be totally ftp. Everything in this game is available for free. You only pay to get it faster.
    You can farm and gear every single toon in this game over time, without spending a cent.
    If you choose to play casually for awhile and then want to be competitive, you can pay to “catch up”.
    If you start 2 years later than someone else did but you don’t want to wait to have the same roster as them, you can pay to get it faster.
    If a new toon or teal is released, you can wait to farm/gear for the event or you can choose to pay to get it now.
    If you want to have a full inventory of 20+ speed mods, it will take A LOT of time to get there. Or you can choose to pay to buy more mods that have a chance of getting you there (faster).

So the statement that it would cost ~$4000 to catch up is valid. If you want to skip through 3.5 years of progress that others made, you can choose to pay to do so. And that price tag is a good estimate of what it would cost.