An Idea for Mods...

I've been thinking about mods and the fact that they determine the outcome of pretty much all combats that are pvp, including ships. Those who have got lucky on upgrading mods win. The Arena is pretty much about who has meta and then who of the meta teams has best mods.

And now we know those that are less than moral have been exploiting a loophole by swapping mods in game for some time when it comes to TW.

A potential solution to TW, Arena and ships pvp issues is to make mods more persistent and less easy to swap out. My idea is to make mods and where you put them become more strategic. I'd be interested to see what folks feel about this one...

Once applied to a character you can't just remove a mod and reuse it. I would make mods that are removed or replaced break down in to mod upgrade resources... Meaning that to swap a mod out for a new one will make players think about it. If you choose to replace a mod then you know you will lose the original but gain some resources so you can upgrade others in the future.

Do you put all the best mods on the current meta Arena team and know that you can't easily move them when the meta changes? Or do you strengthen several teams so you have a greater depth for grand arena? Or do you focus on raid, tb and event teams so you get more rewards? Or do your pilots get all the best mods?

Whatever you choose then you know that to upgrade a character with better mods in the future you are going to have to think about what you are doing a bit more.

This will mean we can all be certain mods are not being exploited for illicit advantage because they can't be removed and swapped at leisure. It will mix up the balance of teams and bring some strategy back in to a lot of areas of the game.

Comments please.... Let's have a good constructive discussion and see where this idea could go.

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    That would be miserable. The whole point of mods is that you can benefit from them as the meta changes.

Not sure about your point on ships - how do ships have anything to do with who got lucky on upgrading mods? 6*ing mods isn't luck.
  • Niborg
    12 posts Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they just need to remove speed from the mods. It’s a turn based game. That’s how the developers create characters. Just leave speed as intended by the developers. Let us choose the other stats. And let’s pick one set of stats to use. Either use percentages or hard numbers.
  • Options
    Niborg wrote: »
    Personally, I think they just need to remove speed from the mods. It’s a turn based game. That’s how the developers create characters. Just leave speed as intended by the developers. Let us choose the other stats. And let’s pick one set of stats to use. Either use percentages or hard numbers.

Without speed from mods mirror matches would be even more RNG dependent. When all "mirrored" toons have the same speed, every match starts with a coin flip.
    Besides, there are people who probably spent thousands on getting good 20+ rolls. How would you propose to estimate the amount of $ or crystals that needs to be refunded?
  • DarthKoon
    449 posts Member
    Options
    Niborg wrote: »

Without speed from mods mirror matches would be even more RNG dependent. When all "mirrored" toons have the same speed, every match starts with a coin flip.
    Besides, there are people who probably spent thousands on getting good 20+ rolls. How would you propose to estimate the amount of $ or crystals that needs to be refunded?

I dunno about the refund bit, but another thing that's even more sorely needed is a meta that's not full of mirror matches.