Airplane mode in TW to avoid preloading TM - Cheating?

13Next

Replies

• Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    Best argument for doing something outside of the "spirit/functionality" of the game itself yet it's condoned and even argued for by some of these same people? Shard chats via third party chat programs.

But mention force-closing it and everyone loses their minds!
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Best argument for doing something outside of the "spirit/functionality" of the game itself yet it's condoned and even argued for by some of these same people? Shard chats via third party chat programs.

You're missing the distinction that others have also missed above. Guessing you kinda just skimmed it.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    I play all my matches in a lead walled room which gets no reception. That cant possibly be against ToS.
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    Actually I was the one that originally brought up force-closing as an alternative to the airplane mode shenanigans. Didn't think it would go this far. It's been entertaining to say the least.
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Actually I was the one that originally brought up force-closing as an alternative to the airplane mode shenanigans. Didn't think it would go this far. It's been entertaining to say the least.

Sorry if i missed the joke. I'll try to do better.

;)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

Who is losing their mind though? especially in comparisson with discussions about shardchats, haha.
    I do however think it's a bad argument seeying as it's exactly the same for shardchats as it is for airplane mode/force closing, it's assumed to be condoned because the devs haven't specifically stated it's considered to be "cheating" eventhough they're (most likely) aware of it happening.
    The shardchat issue is even worse because some players actually do think the devs should come out and say it's prohibited, while no one is really against using airplane mode/force closing.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    kello_511 wrote: »
    I hope you guys aren’t using discord for your guild management, or swgoh.gg, or any of the bots or the grand ivory mod tool either then...
    None of these are built into the game so using them is a cheat right?

I believe one bot was able to pull the stickied banner message from other guilds into discord. That comes really close to cheating imo. I wouldn't be suprised if there's a bot out there that is able to pull the defense set-up from any guild onto discord, which a reasonable player would probably consider to be cheating.
    Where do you draw the line? If the one thing is allowed, why wouldn't the other be? We don't all have the same morals or ethics, so yea...
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Seems like a complete non-issue....the game is designed so that retreating or closing the app (intentionally, unintentionally or due to an error) resets the battle to the state it was at the beginning of that particular battle, counts as a loss and eliminates the use of the offensive team. Airplane mode does the exact same thing. Seems like a silly thing to get bent out of shape about. If you want to get rid of airplane mode for GA and TW, then they'll need to get rid of the ability to retreat and if you get an error and the app closes, sorry, but you just loaded TM...and get rid of airplane mode and retreats for GW and Raids too...no more running Chex mix over and over. They game is designed for "forfeits" in GA and TW, however the player gets to that point.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Seems like a complete non-issue....the game is designed so that retreating or closing the app (intentionally, unintentionally or due to an error) resets the battle to the state it was at the beginning of that particular battle, counts as a loss and eliminates the use of the offensive team. Airplane mode does the exact same thing. Seems like a silly thing to get bent out of shape about. If you want to get rid of airplane mode for GA and TW, then they'll need to get rid of the ability to retreat and if you get an error and the app closes, sorry, but you just loaded TM...and get rid of airplane mode and retreats for GW and Raids too...no more running Chex mix over and over. They game is designed for "forfeits" in GA and TW, however the player gets to that point.

There is no point I talking common sense in here, I’ve given up. It seems that some people just fancy themselves to be debaters who only want to take a contrary stance so they can argue semantics with you.
    No point in feeding the trolls.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Or, alternatively, add an ingame option that makes airplane mode/force close unnecessary/not beneficial anymore. Clearly "retreat" doesn't do that.
    By doing so we don't have to resort to using undocumented features which can only be assumed to be allowed after it has become common knowledge and the devs haven't specifically stated it is prohibited.
  • I see a simple solution here. Try reporting your TW/GA opponent for cheating by using airplane mode. If you get no response, then it's pretty clear the developers don't view it as cheating.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    If everyone would just agree to only play while on an airplane this whole "problem" would go away.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef wrote: »

Or, alternatively, add an ingame option that makes airplane mode/force close unnecessary/not beneficial anymore. Clearly "retreat" doesn't do that.
    By doing so we don't have to resort to using undocumented features which can only be assumed to be allowed after it has become common knowledge and the devs haven't specifically stated it is prohibited.

Exactly. It wouldn't be too hard to code around. I don't think the devs consider it a high priority issue.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    They should just make Retreat available at any time, rather than requiring it be your turn. Since players can legitimately lose connection for a variety of reasons (no wifi/lte, game crash or freeze), further punishing players for this would lead to a lot of frustration. It's already bad enough that you lose your squad when the game crashes, a further penalty would likely see a lot of phones hitting the wall.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Fact, : Moving mods after lock is manipulating the game and if you have knowingly done this you deserve/should be banned.
    Fact, : If you don't use Airplane mode at the start of every battle, you're a fool!
    I abhor any form of cheating. This is not cheating, it is simply avoiding force closing and allowing you or guild mates to instantly enter the battle you have
    left immediately
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Fact, : Moving mods after lock is manipulating the game and if you have knowingly done this you deserve/should be banned.

It's not if I do it for a raid.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Fact, : Moving mods after lock is manipulating the game and if you have knowingly done this you deserve/should be banned.
    Fact, : If you don't use Airplane mode at the start of every battle, you're a fool!
    I abhor any form of cheating. This is not cheating, it is simply avoiding force closing and allowing you or guild mates to instantly enter the battle you have
    left immediately

using airplane mode to avoid force closing? interresting... haha
  • How interesting this would be if it got traction and then Force Closing the app becomes a bannable offense.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Theres no mod-lock for raids though, so that's not really applicable. If you 7* a character after the raid was started, you're allowed to use that character in the raid.
  • Moving mods after lock has been discussed and confirmed as intentional by devs during releases, hasn't it?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Vertigo wrote: »

Theres no mod-lock for raids though, so that's not really applicable. If you 7* a character after the raid was started, you're allowed to use that character in the raid.

Moving mods after GA lock for a raid is not manipulating the game.
  • TVF wrote: »

Moving mods after GA lock for a raid is not manipulating the game.

But if you do it too much you could get banned, right?
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Beats me. I'm assuming they can tell the difference between someone moving their mods for an active raid and someone moving their mods to each GA/TW team.
  • Let's hope, TVF.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • jonnydeathstar
    106 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Everyone uses airplane mode. Everyone knows it works the same as if you had retreated, but retreating requires you to do such a thing on your own turn.

Actually, not everyone knows or does this. Only a fraction of people who play visit the forums or watch swgoh YouTubers with any regularity. I casually visit the forums and watch the bigger YouTube ppl and this is the first I've heard of this exploit. I seriously doubt anyone in my guild knows about it.

Can someone explain the exploit completely? If I understand correctly, if you retreat in battle before losing the enemy team has no Turn Meter pre-loaded for the next battle? What about character deaths, cool downs and remaining health of the enemies? Are those still applied? Eg, I'm fighting a Revan team, kill GMY twice and then retreat before Jolee revives, is GMY gone for future battles?

Thanks for explaining.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Everyone uses airplane mode. Everyone knows it works the same as if you had retreated, but retreating requires you to do such a thing on your own turn.

Actually, not everyone knows or does this. Only a fraction of people who play visit the forums or watch swgoh YouTubers with any regularity. I casually visit the forums and watch the bigger YouTube ppl and this is the first I've heard of this exploit. I seriously doubt anyone in my guild knows about it.

Can someone explain the exploit completely? If I understand correctly, if you retreat in battle before losing the enemy team has no Turn Meter pre-loaded for the next battle? What about character deaths, cool downs and remaining health of the enemies? Are those still applied? Eg, I'm fighting a Revan team, kill GMY twice and then retreat before Jolee revives, is GMY gone for future battles?

Thanks for explaining.

If you retreat (or force quit), everything is reset as if the battle had never happened at all, other than the fact that you can’t use the attack team anymore and it counts as a loss.

ETA: if you want to kill GMY and have him stay dead in future battles, you have to let the battle time out. Just stop attacking when he’s dead and let the counter run down (this requires you get a turn before Jolee). Then everything will be as you left it including cooldowns and TM, but Jolee will not be able to revive him.
  • Liath wrote: »
    If you retreat (or force quit), everything is reset as if the battle had never happened at all, other than the fact that you can’t use the attack team anymore and it counts as a loss.

ETA: if you want to kill GMY and have him stay dead in future battles, you have to let the battle time out. Just stop attacking when he’s dead and let the counter run down (this requires you get a turn before Jolee). Then everything will be as you left it including cooldowns and TM, but Jolee will not be able to revive him.

Thanks for explaining. I'll share with my guild.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Beats me. I'm assuming they can tell the difference between someone moving their mods for an active raid and someone moving their mods to each GA/TW team.
    I haven’t investigated, believe me, but as far as I’m aware the mod swapping only works if you do it within the squad select screen inside GA / TW.

People swapping mods for raids / arena will most likely be doing it from their inventory, which does not affect the GA / TW lock.
This discussion has been closed.