Role tags, why?

Daishi
718 posts Member
Currently role tags mean little to nothing in most areas of the game. There are a few exceptions: skills (GK lead, ezra, dooku riposte, etc.), parts of some game modes (Stand alone P3 STR).

However most other areas I'd struggle to tell you what role most characters have.

It made me think of what qualities I think of when I consider a specific role.
Tank: High HP/Protection/Defense
Immune to percentage health effects (KRU, kylo, Malak), Pretaunt (Shoreteooper, Sith trooper, baze), Auto-taunt (GK, K2), or undispellable/re-taunt (old ben, bossk).

Attacker: High damage, high speed, TM gain from skills, lower health. Counter chance (Nest/Wampa), TM gain on attack (GMY, Restance troooer), skills to disable (stun, daze)

Support: Low damage, mid range HP, utility skills, survivability comes from dodge, stealth, or skills.
C3P0, Hyoda, Jolee, Daka, Ewok Elder, thrawn.

What I would love to see is some standard skill, quality, or bonus that came with a tag. Maybe adding a bit more uniformity to tags could be a step to help balance out the imbalance of speed.

Replies

• thedrjojo
    955 posts Member
    Options
    Support are some of the best and higher damage characters, and you lumped support and healer.

Thrawn has great damage, especially hitting 4 times with fracture (his special damage.
    Darth Nihilus has great damage plus annihilate
    GMY is actually support, not attacker, and has the most damage.
    Other great damagers (mother talzin, both bastillas) are support

There are skills/leads that interact with people based on their 'role', like Ezra's special, QiRa's lead, etc. But otherwise they don't mean much, and idk if we really need them to.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Exactly why I asked why we even have role tags if they dont mean anything. My suggestion is have a basic skill/stat/quality that is tied to the role tag.

For instance:
    Tank- Takes reduced damage from % health effects
    Attacker: Gains 5% TM on critical
    Support: +30% Crit avoidance, +20 dodge

This would help roles mean something and create more theorycrafting options.
  • mellamoroberto
    259 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Interesting. I don't know at this point if I think anything should be done with the roles, but I have noticed that some of them seem puzzling.

Nihilus, for example. He does good damage and has a instant, permanent kill, yet he's Support, presumably because he can remove buffs (single target) on attack and increase cooldowns by 1 (multiple targets). Yet if you look at the Sith characters as a whole, they're pretty effect- and debuff-heavy. Vader, for example, ability blocks (single target) on attack and add DoTs and speed debuff (multiple targets), and is an Attacker.

Both have leadership abilities that boost/affect teammates' abilities, and Vader's also has TMR against enemies on his. For what it's worth, my Nihilus also tends to outdamage my Vader on raids despite have inferior gear because of Annihilate's damage.

That's just one example. Maybe instead of having 4 role tags, there should be more tags, each with a more specific meaning. Attacker or High Damage for characters are roughly above the X percentile in damage capabilities. That would likely be based on fully geared and skilled characters, and whether to take zetas into account would be up to devs. There could be other tags for having high base HP, high base speed (Fast), buff abilities (Buffer), debuff abilities (Debuffer), character-unique abilities (Unique), healing abilities (Healer), revive abilities (Reviver), other miscellaneous abilities like counter and turn-meter manipulation, leader ability (Leader), standard or atypical taunt (Taunter), etc.

At the very least, that would give some useful filters when pulling up characters or experimenting with new teams. Or there could also be incentives for having a team that hits on a lot of those tags and slight tweaks to certain raids or raid phases based on tags.

And maybe just maybe, in the process of applying those tags, the devs might also make some useful character tweaks when they are reminded firsthand how useless some of the characters currently are. If you're examining a character for the purpose of tagging and ask yourself "why am I wasting my time on this one," it gets a minor rework. 😋🤣
  • Options
    You didn't even mention how at one point Luminara Unduli was listed as an Attacker bit healed better than every other healer while still dealing awesome damage, at the time anyway. Now she's listed as heals, but some have surpassed her simply because of power creep and neglect of most Jedi for updates.
  • Jakerz71
    18 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I just had to look for myself and you're correct jojo. I guess I never looked, but that lil green freak is support!!!
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Uh, chirrut is a an attacker, yet he's probably the best rebel healer...

Oh yeah cassian's unique is a role-tag-skill but I guess no one cares because its outshined by bastila.
  • Options
    They spin a wheel of fortune to determine what the tags will be. That's how we end up with attackers that are the best healers and support that do the most damage and tanks that heal.
  • DarthKoon
    449 posts Member
    Options
    As far as I figure each role is just based on their stats/abilities.
    Attackers can do high damage.
    Tanks have high survivability.
    Supports are good with buffs/debuffs/assists etc.
    Healers cab heal.

Some guys fit multiple but they only get one.
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    People remember Ezra but always forget Krennic
    *sigh*
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Options
    The game classifies Qui-Gon as support but his description calls him an attacker.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Juzz wrote: »
    People remember Ezra but always forget Krennic
    *sigh*

And GK

Tbf he did say "etc" lol. Guess that covers them all.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Options
    Daishi wrote: »
    What I would love to see is some standard skill, quality, or bonus that came with a tag. Maybe adding a bit more uniformity to tags could be a step to help balance out the imbalance of speed.

Pass.....I wouldn't want generic skills/buffs/bonuses that apply to dozens and dozens of characters. Forget about the utter balancing nightmare by basically changing every kit in the game, unique kits are way better than just having 4-6 archetype roles with the same kits and just different skins slapped on them.