JKR versus Darth Revan/Malak Question

I've been climbing in Arena lately with JKR and have had several battles where turn order has gone unexpectedly, and I can't figure out what is going on. Figured I'd come in here and ask to see if anyone else knows.

Here's the situation: I'm using the following squad, JKR, Bastila Shan, Jolee, Grand Master Yoda, and Thrawn. Based on JKR's leadership ability, this team should give me a total of +35 Speed to everyone but Thrawn. I get +10 Speed each from JKR, Bastila, and Jolee (since they are all both Jedi and Old Republic), and I get +5 Speed from Yoda. My JKR has a starting Speed of 306 and my Yoda has a starting Speed of 290, which give them Speeds of 341 and 325, respectively, once you include the +35 from the leadership bonus.

When climbing, I have been looking for enemy teams to fight, where the Darth Revan's Speed is less than 325. This allows my JKR to Mark Darth Revan, then my Yoda to activate his Battle Meditation, to put Tenacity Up on the team, before their Darth Revan can do his basic attack and put Buff Immunity on my JKR.

The enemy teams that I've been targeting usually consist of Darth Revan, Darth Malak, Bastila Fallen, HK-47, and Sith Trooper.

In recent days, I've fought several of these teams that my Yoda outspeeds by just a little bit, with their Darth Revans at 324, 324, 323, and 322 (four different teams). In these battles, my Yoda only went before the 322 Speed Darth Revan. In the three other battles, against the Darth Revans at 323, 324, and another at 324, their Darth Revans all went before my Yoda. I can't figure out why they're going first, when my toon is faster (even a single point of difference should get me to 100% turn meter first, right?).

I'm hoping someone knows what exactly is going on here.

V

Replies

• chionophile
    1097 posts Member
    Options
    Debuffs give speed to SE under DR.
  • Options
    Debuffs give speed to SE under DR.

@chionophile yes, I know, but that still doesn't explain what's going on here. If Mark is giving the +15 Speed to Darth Revan, then all four of those opponents should have gone before my Yoda, not just three of them. Why did my 325 Yoda go before the 322 Darth Revan, if Mark is triggering that speed bump from the leader ability? And, if Mark doesn't count as a debuff for the purposes of the leader ability, why then did my Yoda not go before the 323, 324, and other 324 speed Darth Revans?
  • chionophile
    1097 posts Member
    Options
    Without going deep into the math, I would have to guess that that extra 1 or 2 speed combined with DR's bonus speed is just enough to fill the tiny bit of TM bar remaining after JKR goes before GMY fills his. When JKR hits 100% TM, GMY would be at 95.3% TM and a 323 speed DR would be at 94.7%. Suddenly speeding DR up may fill that last 5.3% faster than GMY fills his last 4.7%, whereas a 322 speed DR would be at 94.4% It's possible that extra 0.3% makes all the difference.
  • Options
    Without going deep into the math, I would have to guess that that extra 1 or 2 speed combined with DR's bonus speed is just enough to fill the tiny bit of TM bar remaining after JKR goes before GMY fills his. When JKR hits 100% TM, GMY would be at 95.3% TM and a 323 speed DR would be at 94.7%. Suddenly speeding DR up may fill that last 5.3% faster than GMY fills his last 4.7%, whereas a 322 speed DR would be at 94.4% It's possible that extra 0.3% makes all the difference.

It's exactly this. The next step in the calculation is a bit abstract but you can conceptualize it by introducing a pseudo time equal to the TM% remaining divided by the speed of the character.

For GMY this pseudo time = (100 - 95.3079)/325 = 0.0144

If you pass the potency tenacity check for JKRs stun then he will end up with +45 speed. This means the pseudo time for a 324, 323 and 322 darth revan would be 0.0135, 0.0143 and 0.0152 respectively, so a 324 and 323 darth revan would go before a 325 GMY but a 322 darth revan wouldn't.

If you fail the potency tenacity check and don't land stun you only add +30 speed and in this case the time would be 0.0141, 0.0150 and 0.0158 respectively. So the 324 darth revan would go before the 325 GMY but not the 323 and 322 darth revans.

How they exactly calculate the numbers and resolve who takes the next turn in game could also be dependent on their exact method of coding and could potentially introduce rounding errors although I haven't seen any evidence of that yet. If the 323 darth revan goes before your GMY despite not landing stun on him that would be evidence of that happening though.
  • Options
    Makes sense. Appreciate the detailed feedback; exactly what I was looking for.
  • Options
    Spend more money......