Protection Update Question

Malachi
78 posts Member
Excited for an update to older characters. One question:

Chopper gets an update. He has 40k health and 30k protection currently at G12

Jyn doesn't get an update. She has 32k health and 25k protection currently at G12

Both characters are supports. Why wouldn't she get an update?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Protection Update to Older Units
    To ensure the balance integrity amongst some of our older units, a good portion of them had their Protection updated so that their value will remain relevant in the era of Gear 12 Finished characters. While this was treated on a case-by-case basis, this update covered majority of the legacy units that existed at launch and all the way up to the Phoenix squad release. Please note that after careful consideration with certain units, only a handful did not receive an update due to balance considerations such as General Kenobi and Grandmaster Yoda as an example.

The update ranges anywhere from a light touch, like with Aayla Secura’s, to a significant Protection increase like with Darth Maul. You’ll be happy to note that renowned units like General Grievous received an update which further amplifies his survivability on the battlefield.

Them both being the same roll has nothing to do with it.
  • Malachi
    78 posts Member
    Options
    Right. I read that post and understand everything it said. I understand it's early on. I'm just curious as it's a "case by case" basis, why her extremely low protection wasn't bumped with the rest. The reason I added the roll was because I can also see how if chopper was a tank vs a support, it would make sense to bump him up further.
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @CG_SBCrumb
    Could we have a list with the units affected, with old and new data?
    Post edited by Juzz on
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Options
    So my phoenix and R1 are both pretty low gear but my experience from using them in LSTB is that Chopper's middle ability (the taunt) in the last wave is for me just asking for him to die. Jyn on the other hand is protected by two tanks normally (out of baze, K2S0 and SRP) so really only gets hit with AOEs.

Sure chopper has a bit of extra evasion but relying on dodges to stay alive isn't ideal. You want Jyn to stay alive so she can revive but (theoretically) opponents have to get through some tanks before they get to her.

Don't know if that's the same at higher gears but makes sense in terms of balance to add a bit more protection to a character that taunts vs one that's normally protected by taunters.
  • Malachi
    78 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense. I'm happy Cassian is getting a bump. Hopefully it means she will get a rework one day.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah Id say just because Chopper is a secondary tank.