You Sure You Want Diversity in the Meta?

2Next

Replies

• Jpfit262
    545 posts Member
    Options
    I see the opposite .... I use my sith raid mods in arena and do fine. Often times I see folks go high speed but nothing for damage and health. Easy W’s. You need a balance and it’s not hard to achieve. I have a cls team and can beat Revan and Malak teams pretty consistently.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I agree these days on your idea overall by the way. I don't seek diversity in squad arena anymore. That would be fine if it comes, but I don't see it as integral as I used to.

However I don't see the 3-4 arena teams played by the same player to climb either. This is not what happened on the previous more diverse metas. It was at most 2 teams you needed on the ready, where you swap to one to beat the team at a certain spot (generally top 3). This is by the nature of a diverse meta, you always have options that you can beat in range before you have to swap. Thus a diverse meta consisting of 4-5 comparably good teams works fine.

We need a meta shift from time to time. Otherwise it becomes chaotic at the top resulting in more refills and more boring matches.

Luckily the game is warranting such diversity in the other modes as those modes mature as well. GA is the heart of the game for me now and arena is a means to all the other ends I enjoy in the game.
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Repeated because it got lost.
    TVF wrote: »
    On the topic of mods, when it comes to getting the fastest possible mods, those of us that didn’t invest heavily pre-mods 2.0 will be forever at a disadvantage for getting high speed secondaries. It takes much more farming now to get +25 speed secondaries (I still don’t have 1 despite the thousands I’ve farmed/collected).

I don't think this is true. I didn't have any mods with +20 speed secondaries before mods 2.0, and now I have about a dozen of them, including one +26 speed secondary. The ability to slice mods has made it much easier to acquire high speed secondaries imo.

Lol well you’re just lucky. But math would show you it’s different now. My comment was related to how they changed leveling up mods. Prior to 2.0, a blue mod with speed secondary showing at level 1 was more likely to upgrade speed than a grey one. Now they’re all equal.

I feel like you might not understand how mods work now vs then.

Prior to 2.0, a blue mod with speed showing had a 50% chance to upgrade each of two attempts. Now it has a 25% chance each attempt, so you're correct there. However, a blue mod was limited to those two attempts. It could never become a +20 mod. Now you can take that +15 mod and slice it twice to get it over 20. The floor was higher but the ceiling was lower.

My best mods have all come from 2.0.

I feel like you’re not thinking holistically. Assuming you didn’t sell all of your mods from prior to 2.0, a blue mod from 1.0 is more likely to have a higher speed than a blue mod from 2.0. When you slice mods, chances of increasing speed from there are equal.

You may have sliced to get your best mods, but were you slicing 1.0 or 2.0 mods?

Both of course. But my best mods have all come recently, so 2.0 mods. There was a finite period of time where we knew 2.0 was coming but it wasn't active. Therefore there is a finite number of mods that we farmed from 1.0 and sliced under 2.0. Unless you spent tons of money to buy as many mods as you could during that short period, your holistic approach is irrelevant.

The (potential) best mods were ones you farmed under 1.0 and sliced under 2.0. But that's a tiny minority of the total mods you would have farmed.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    And to add, if you want to complain that mods 2.0 is worse than the transition between 1.0 and 2.0, sure, and I agree. That transition period is different than 1.0 though. Complaining 2.0 is worse that 1.0 is a different story. As I said, 1.0 had a higher floor but a lower ceiling.
  • AceCV
    994 posts Member
    Options
    Answering OP.... yes, I'm positive sure that the game is far more interesting with meta variaty of, at least, 3 different setups.
  • Options
    It's hard for me to grasp how some people actually like the concept of a top meta and having loads of worthless characters. If a new game were to be announced, and the team communicated outright that there would be 150 characters but only a select few would be viable, and that there'd be a shiny new team released every so often that would render the previous new team and the rest of the characters significantly less useful, would that appeal to you? Would you actually want to play that game? It would be dead before it launched, because that is not fun.

Don't believe that diversity is fun and the game would do better if it were balanced? Read how the powers that be describe the game, from the listing in the Google Play store:

"Collect and battle with iconic heroes to become the top hologamer in the galaxy!

Live your Star Wars™ dreams as you fight with your favorite dark and light side heroes across iconic locations to become master of the galaxy. Create and customize your dream squad using characters from every era, including new characters from Solo™: A Star Wars™ Story, Star Wars™: The Last Jedi™, and Rogue One™: A Star Wars™ Story. Engage in turn-based RPG warfare, confront giant bosses, pilot legendary ships in space like the Millennium Falcon, and take your strategy to the next level!

CREATE THE ULTIMATE TEAM
    Rebel leaders? Imperial stalwarts? You’re free to choose as you construct elite light and dark side teams while collecting heroes and other characters from the Star Wars™ universe. Develop your strategy and make key moves in this epic RPG. Pick teammates with complementary abilities and go to war with unbeatable squads!
    "

^^ Look how they try to entice people to play their game... by recognizing the appeal of putting together a team, based on characters you want to use! They emphasize the expansive roster; they emphasize using your FAVORITE heroes; they emphasize strategy in team design. They recognize what is appealing about this game and the big sandbox/strategy/be-who-you-want concept that can pull people in, then they stray from it in practice. No I don't have numbers for it, but do you think promising that while intentionally going another direction might cause players to leave?
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    And to add, if you want to complain that mods 2.0 is worse than the transition between 1.0 and 2.0, sure, and I agree. That transition period is different than 1.0 though. Complaining 2.0 is worse that 1.0 is a different story. As I said, 1.0 had a higher floor but a lower ceiling.

I’m not complaining about either 1.0 or 2.0. I’m just stating that it takes a lot more mod farming now to yield the same results. My shard is full of people that farmed mods heavy when I didn’t, and I don’t plan on farming extra to catch up. I’ll stay behind the curve until I win a war of attrition from people quitting or I quit too.

• Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to grasp how some people actually like the concept of a top meta and having loads of worthless characters. If a new game were to be announced, and the team communicated outright that there would be 150 characters but only a select few would be viable, and that there'd be a shiny new team released every so often that would render the previous new team and the rest of the characters significantly less useful, would that appeal to you? Would you actually want to play that game? It would be dead before it launched, because that is not fun.

Don't believe that diversity is fun and the game would do better if it were balanced? Read how the powers that be describe the game, from the listing in the Google Play store:

"Collect and battle with iconic heroes to become the top hologamer in the galaxy!

Live your Star Wars™ dreams as you fight with your favorite dark and light side heroes across iconic locations to become master of the galaxy. Create and customize your dream squad using characters from every era, including new characters from Solo™: A Star Wars™ Story, Star Wars™: The Last Jedi™, and Rogue One™: A Star Wars™ Story. Engage in turn-based RPG warfare, confront giant bosses, pilot legendary ships in space like the Millennium Falcon, and take your strategy to the next level!

CREATE THE ULTIMATE TEAM
    Rebel leaders? Imperial stalwarts? You’re free to choose as you construct elite light and dark side teams while collecting heroes and other characters from the Star Wars™ universe. Develop your strategy and make key moves in this epic RPG. Pick teammates with complementary abilities and go to war with unbeatable squads!
    "

^^ Look how they try to entice people to play their game... by recognizing the appeal of putting together a team, based on characters you want to use! They emphasize the expansive roster; they emphasize using your FAVORITE heroes; they emphasize strategy in team design. They recognize what is appealing about this game and the big sandbox/strategy/be-who-you-want concept that can pull people in, then they stray from it in practice. No I don't have numbers for it, but do you think promising that while intentionally going another direction might cause players to leave?

Lol I love this post. They did get one thing right:

“Go to war with unbeatable squads!”

When you pick your favorite rogue one characters and go to war with Darth Revan and Malak, it will feel like an unbeatable squad lol.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

I’m not complaining about either 1.0 or 2.0. I’m just stating that it takes a lot more mod farming now to yield the same results. My shard is full of people that farmed mods heavy when I didn’t, and I don’t plan on farming extra to catch up. I’ll stay behind the curve until I win a war of attrition from people quitting or I quit too.

Why does it need more mod farming now compared to then? I guess you are alluding to the mandatory bump greens got if they already had speed on them. But that's balanced by the fact that they can still be getting speed ups when sliced.

My experience has been different. I wasn't a mod peep before mods 2.0. I was outmodded in my arenas by almost all the other top people and had much difficulty climbing to top 3 before my po. I was of the mindset -it doesn't matter how many times I try, I won't get the good ones-

I used the bot for the first time some unknown interval after mods 2.0. At that time I had 85 +10s. I put in nonstop effort since then melting my credits piles (and using whatever builds up) and 3x-ing slice mat nodes. Now I'm at 260 +10s along with my arena mods also becoming average/good amongst top 20ers. This is such an overhaul and it's paying back extremely well in all areas of the game. Besides it became something I enjoy doing...while never looking for the god mod specifically.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Jpfit262 wrote: »
    I see the opposite .... I use my sith raid mods in arena and do fine. Often times I see folks go high speed but nothing for damage and health. Easy W’s. You need a balance and it’s not hard to achieve. I have a cls team and can beat Revan and Malak teams pretty consistently.

I haven't seen a cls in top 50 since early jkr days. and that guy had to have been spending tons of crystals to refresh bc he was such an easy target. how are you outgunning a drev dbast malak squad?
    No_Try wrote: »
    I'm confused on the convoluted end metaphore. Whose kid is it? Is that you @Gifafi ? Completely lost xD

a really really smart dude lol

@mellamoroberto doubt anyone said anything like that.

and freaking tvf had to start(/continue? idk, lol didn't read) some silly mods 1.0 v 2.0 nonsense in my thread. how uncouth!

rtt: I do miss diversity in the sense that other teams are so easy to kill with drev. makes climbing harder ;-)
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    and freaking tvf had to start(/continue? idk, lol didn't read) some silly mods 1.0 v 2.0 nonsense in my thread. how uncouth!

Continue, for the record. I was responding to something said in the thread I disagree with.

But your thread, and off-topic, so I'll let it go.
  • Options
    Lol I love this post. They did get one thing right:

“Go to war with unbeatable squads!”

When you pick your favorite rogue one characters and go to war with Darth Revan and Malak, it will feel like an unbeatable squad lol.

🤣
  • Options
    On the topic of mods, when it comes to getting the fastest possible mods, those of us that didn’t invest heavily pre-mods 2.0 will be forever at a disadvantage for getting high speed secondaries. It takes much more farming now to get +25 speed secondaries (I still don’t have 1 despite the thousands I’ve farmed/collected).

I don't think this is true. I didn't have any mods with +20 speed secondaries before mods 2.0, and now I have about a dozen of them, including one +26 speed secondary. The ability to slice mods has made it much easier to acquire high speed secondaries imo.

Lol well you’re just lucky. But math would show you it’s different now. My comment was related to how they changed leveling up mods. Prior to 2.0, a blue mod with speed secondary showing at level 1 was more likely to upgrade speed than a grey one. Now they’re all equal.

I feel like you might not understand how mods work now vs then.

Prior to 2.0, a blue mod with speed showing had a 50% chance to upgrade each of two attempts. Now it has a 25% chance each attempt, so you're correct there. However, a blue mod was limited to those two attempts. It could never become a +20 mod. Now you can take that +15 mod and slice it twice to get it over 20. The floor was higher but the ceiling was lower.

My best mods have all come from 2.0.

As usual it’s in between, the mods upgraded prior to 2.0 and then sliced are the ones that had the best and most likely chance to get higher speeds

• TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    I said exactly that already.