Long Term Viability of CLS Teams in Squad Arena

My trusty CLS arena team has kept me in the top 200 of squad arena for forever. But all good things come to an end, and I've noticed this team is exceptionally bad vs Padme / GR. Is the CLS arena viability ending? Will Padme or another faction take CLS' place as the 3rd strongest arena team (after DR and JKR) in the near future?

Curious before I start to add the G12 5&6 pieces and finishers to CLS and his friends.

Replies

• Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    It depends if you’re talking about being “meta” and “working as intended” or working to beat meta teams on offense. It seems like the developers currently want squad arena to be a sea of Revans, and running your own Revan team is the best way to avoid falling too far. With that said, CLS teams can still beat any team in the game if they have superior mods. So you should still be able to climb. If you struggle with Padmé teams, just try to go around them
  • Options
    I am still going all in on my CLS team. I have 4 zeta left to put on them and 4 toons to take to G12. I came close to 200 rank today. I can't imagine how much of a slaughter fest it'll be when I max them.
  • Options
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    It depends if you’re talking about being “meta” and “working as intended” or working to beat meta teams on offense. It seems like the developers currently want squad arena to be a sea of Revans, and running your own Revan team is the best way to avoid falling too far. With that said, CLS teams can still beat any team in the game if they have superior mods. So you should still be able to climb. If you struggle with Padmé teams, just try to go around them

#2 is what I'm talking about - CLS has, in my opinion, been the most reliable non-Revan (both) team to run in arena to date. My CLS is my best team, but I don't want to put the the G12+ and finishers on them if Padme (or someone else) is going to be a better choice in the long run. I hope that makes sense.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Maxed GR teams can take down maxed Darth Revan and even maxed DR/Malak (even if there's a g13 in there). CLS can't beat maxed Malak teams. That's why I switched to GR from CLS.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Maxed GR teams can take down maxed Darth Revan and even maxed DR/Malak (even if there's a g13 in there). CLS can't beat maxed Malak teams. That's why I switched to GR from CLS.

Thanks - can you clarify what you mean by maxed? Is that G12, all zetas? or G12+, or G13?

Do you have Padme at 7*? Who is your 5th? (Padme, Anakin, Ahsoka, GK and ?) Right now I have a 5* Padme.

Much appreciated advice.
  • Options
    Thanks JediRobb - but I'm mainly asking about them for Squad Arena. I'm just starting to get my first Gear 12+4&5s and trying to decide what is the best course to stay top 200 in arena (without getting knocked down everyday).
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks JediRobb - but I'm mainly asking about them for Squad Arena. I'm just starting to get my first Gear 12+4&5s and trying to decide what is the best course to stay top 200 in arena (without getting knocked down everyday).

Right now, if you don’t have a Revan team, you’re likely to get knocked down. Defending in squad arena tends to be more about blending in than having the best team. If you run a different arena team than most others, it needs to be very good (high offense & speed) in order to avoid getting targeted and knocked down.

Based on what the developers said, I’m guessing that either Padmé or Grievous teams are their next “as intended” arena meta. So those are probably the teams you should focus on if you want to be ready for the next meta.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    CLS seems like a pretty complete lineup for the time being, and I don't think it's getting much more for a hot minute. CLS will probably slip in relevance as other factions get cool, arena-relevant stuff. Next star to really shake up the meta is probably gonna be either Resistance or First Order at the end of the year. Grievous is probably as good as he's gonna get right now. Padme will probably improve significantly as more GR toons/reworks come along, but I doubt she'll fully uproot Drevalak.
    Still not a he.
  • Banmeong
    129 posts Member
    Options
    The meta is always changing. CLS is not meta anymore. Case closed.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Thanks - can you clarify what you mean by maxed? Is that G12, all zetas? or G12+, or G13?

Do you have Padme at 7*? Who is your 5th? (Padme, Anakin, Ahsoka, GK and ?) Right now I have a 5* Padme.

Much appreciated advice.

By "maxed" I generally mean full g12+5 and mostly 6 dot mods. My 5th is C3P0. Some people prefer GMY over Ahsoka for arena, but you don't want to do that for GA.

But yes, to take down 7* DR/Malak in arena, 7* Padmé is needed and the team really needs all zetas to be consistent.

If you're facing weaker DR/Malak teams (or DR teams without Malak) you can run other comps or weaker GR teams. Against non-Malak DR you can swap in Zarris instead of 3p0. It's fun - especially if zBarris is slow, because she builds up stacks of courage and then wallops when she finally does attack.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Banmeong wrote: »
    That's... not how things work. At all.

First off, "meta" has multiple definitions.

Definition 1: The metagame. The game around the game environment. The set of factors you have to consider based on the actions of other players. Whether or not players commonly use a team is more or less independent of whether a team is arena viable.

In fact many teams become viable because completely different teams are commonly used in the metagame. During early Palpatine meta, I used Thrawntroopers because all those debuffs fed them a lot of TM. There were a lot of matchups that team fared poorly against, but because Palpatine was so prominent, I could consistently count on climbing against Palpatine teams. Antimeta is arena viable because of other factors present in the metagame, even if they are not themselves a big factor in the metagame. It's how Rex stuck around through like nine metas. It's how the Thrawn/Magma loop took a hold when Traya dominated. And it's a large part of the current Grievous/T3 lineup's success, capitalizing on the ubiquity of Devan and the many, many debuffs he applies to his own team. Grievous is viable and successful right now largely because someone else is the singular, defining unit of the hour.

Definition 2: The Most Effective Tactic Available. Funny thing? This can vary from person to person because not everyone has the same tools available to them at any given time, and "effective" depends strongly on choosing a goal, making that pretty mutable. If you're not part of an hSith guild and you're six months out from maybe unlocking Traya, then no matter who the dominant team is, Traya is not the most effective tactic available to you in the short term.

The extremely specific definition you're using would be the single most globally dominant team as the "meta." But that very specific definition is not a good prescriptive, and just because something doesn't fit that very specific definition does not mean it isn't arena viable. The definition you're using is primarily of value for historical purposes, like earlier when I said Rex persisted through nine metas. Which is to say Rex had his own meta that ended droid meta, and persisted through GK/Zarriss, Wiggs/Chaze, Thrawntroopers, Titans, Nightmare, JTR, Nightsisters, Bastila, and though he'd been in decline for some time, he really only left the leaderboards around the time Traya came into prominence. Even though he was not the singular dominant team, he was not "the meta," there were people who stayed on the leader board for a year and a half with Rex teams.

So no. Not being the current singular dominant meta team does not mean the case is closed on the question of whether CLS or anyone else besides Devan is arena viable right now.

And while I see CLS as a team on the decline and unlikely to be thrown a bone any time soon, we have at least three teams who aren't the dominant meta but are absolutely viable in a Devan-dominant environment in Kevan, Padme, and Grievous.
    Still not a he.
  • Lilpup
    403 posts Member
    Options
    My trusty CLS arena team has kept me in the top 200 of squad arena for forever. But all good things come to an end, and I've noticed this team is exceptionally bad vs Padme / GR. Is the CLS arena viability ending? Will Padme or another faction take CLS' place as the 3rd strongest arena team (after DR and JKR) in the near future?

Curious before I start to add the G12 5&6 pieces and finishers to CLS and his friends.

So I ran only CLS for the last year in Arena...smashed the Traya teams, smashed the JKR teams, and smashed the Darth Revan teams. By smashed I mean #1 Arena. But then Darth Malak came about and my smashing stopped. I couldn't stop him from killing me. So I switched over to Darth Revan/Malak team to stay top of Arena, but always hoping one day I could return to the glory days.

Whelp..that day may be soon. I saw this video on Youtube. Check it out....and remember..that is just with his CLS G13..not even factoring in Han and Chewy Damage increase at G13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqiutxY3wmc
  • Options
    Lilpup wrote: »

So I ran only CLS for the last year in Arena...smashed the Traya teams, smashed the JKR teams, and smashed the Darth Revan teams. By smashed I mean #1 Arena. But then Darth Malak came about and my smashing stopped. I couldn't stop him from killing me. So I switched over to Darth Revan/Malak team to stay top of Arena, but always hoping one day I could return to the glory days.

Whelp..that day may be soon. I saw this video on Youtube. Check it out....and remember..that is just with his CLS G13..not even factoring in Han and Chewy Damage increase at G13.

Does stink though that it requires Thrawn and not R2
  • Lilpup
    403 posts Member
    Options

Does stink though that it requires Thrawn and not R2

Yes..probably why I struggled soo much vs Malak... because I refused to sub in Thrawn. Love my R2. You definitely need someone to tie up Malak..so either a Fracture, Isolate, or at minimum a taunting Tank.. GK or Maybe STHAN with his huge BUFFS will be a good 5th..hmmm

• Lilpup
    403 posts Member
    Options
    Got me excited again. Man if Captain Han Solo or StormTrooper Han would work as a 5th that would be amazing. Give you a taunting tank with STHan that gives your team TM or a with Capt Han you get Daze on the basic, dispel and healing on his 2nd and revives on his special ability.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Banmeong wrote: »
    That's... not how things work. At all.

First off, "meta" has multiple definitions.

Definition 1: The metagame. The game around the game environment. The set of factors you have to consider based on the actions of other players. Whether or not players commonly use a team is more or less independent of whether a team is arena viable.

In fact many teams become viable because completely different teams are commonly used in the metagame. During early Palpatine meta, I used Thrawntroopers because all those debuffs fed them a lot of TM. There were a lot of matchups that team fared poorly against, but because Palpatine was so prominent, I could consistently count on climbing against Palpatine teams. Antimeta is arena viable because of other factors present in the metagame, even if they are not themselves a big factor in the metagame. It's how Rex stuck around through like nine metas. It's how the Thrawn/Magma loop took a hold when Traya dominated. And it's a large part of the current Grievous/T3 lineup's success, capitalizing on the ubiquity of Devan and the many, many debuffs he applies to his own team. Grievous is viable and successful right now largely because someone else is the singular, defining unit of the hour.

Definition 2: The Most Effective Tactic Available. Funny thing? This can vary from person to person because not everyone has the same tools available to them at any given time, and "effective" depends strongly on choosing a goal, making that pretty mutable. If you're not part of an hSith guild and you're six months out from maybe unlocking Traya, then no matter who the dominant team is, Traya is not the most effective tactic available to you in the short term.

The extremely specific definition you're using would be the single most globally dominant team as the "meta." But that very specific definition is not a good prescriptive, and just because something doesn't fit that very specific definition does not mean it isn't arena viable. The definition you're using is primarily of value for historical purposes, like earlier when I said Rex persisted through nine metas. Which is to say Rex had his own meta that ended droid meta, and persisted through GK/Zarriss, Wiggs/Chaze, Thrawntroopers, Titans, Nightmare, JTR, Nightsisters, Bastila, and though he'd been in decline for some time, he really only left the leaderboards around the time Traya came into prominence. Even though he was not the singular dominant team, he was not "the meta," there were people who stayed on the leader board for a year and a half with Rex teams.

So no. Not being the current singular dominant meta team does not mean the case is closed on the question of whether CLS or anyone else besides Devan is arena viable right now.

And while I see CLS as a team on the decline and unlikely to be thrown a bone any time soon, we have at least three teams who aren't the dominant meta but are absolutely viable in a Devan-dominant environment in Kevan, Padme, and Grievous.

what is the speed of the cls team? the whole team goes first. in general, it is hard to get everybody first although not sure if the turn order went rebels way b/c of cls lead
  • Options
    HK resisted at least one expose, so if CLS is around 315 he’d go before DR. Then when he goes everyone is guaranteed 15% Tm, whether his debuffs stick or not. I’m guessing everyone else is close to 300, which is a lot but doable.
  • Options
    Just did some math, they’d only need to be like 270. Real easy to get to.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    The Most Effective Tactic Available

I see what you did there. I had never considered meta as an acronym. Nice!
  • Options

@Lilpup Can't wait to check out this video - thanks for the share!
    -j.
  • Options
    I have often seen Thrawn thrown in places he wasn't made for and he ends up making magic happen. Enfis Nest, and possibly other toons can do the same thing in the future. We never know. I am surpised though that it seems to always be R2D2 that gets dropped.
  • Options
    I have often seen Thrawn thrown in places he wasn't made for and he ends up making magic happen. Enfis Nest, and possibly other toons can do the same thing in the future. We never know. I am surpised though that it seems to always be R2D2 that gets dropped.

CLS, Han and Chewie are essential, so the choice comes down to R2 vs C3PO. If you are in GA or TW and using C3PO elsewhere, then R2 makes sense but otherwise 3PO brings so much more to the table.

• Options

CLS, Han and Chewie are essential, so the choice comes down to R2 vs C3PO. If you are in GA or TW and using C3PO elsewhere, then R2 makes sense but otherwise 3PO brings so much more to the table.

Darth Revan and Fallen Bastila have massive health pools, so those exposes add up significantly.