The end of critical damage mod sets?

Prev1
The way the game is going with g12+ and now g13 there is a significant increase in characters base stats. So much so that percent based mod sets such as health and offense are becoming more important. On a g13 character crit damage seems pointless, as an offense set would boost the damage a lot more. My HK for example at g13 has over 5300 physical damage. Does anyone still use critical damage sets? Think I only have on RT and JTR as haven’t re modded them since when sith raid first came out.

Replies

• Hortus
    628 posts Member
    Options
    Critical damage is also "percent based mod set" and scales just fine with physical/special damage increase.
  • Options
    But it’s a fixed 42% percent on a fixed base percentage. Where as, as offense goes up the 15% is based off of a higher stat. Maybe it doesn’t make much difference, I’m not certain but first look suggested to be offense is better to go with now than CD.
  • Atzel
    56 posts Member
    Options
    But it’s a fixed 42% percent on a fixed base percentage. Where as, as offense goes up the 15% is based off of a higher stat. Maybe it doesn’t make much difference, I’m not certain but first look suggested to be offense is better to go with now than CD.

Are you trolling or something ?

• Options
    yeah, g13 gives offense sets a very favorable boost vs CD. You do get higher CC with some characters at g13 so it's easier to reach the CC break point. But in some scenarios (eg boba under his leadership and FOTP under KRU leadership) offense is now better than CD even at 100% crit chance.

You'll have to calculate it on a character by character basis though. The easiest is to put your best offense set available on and your best CD set available on and then just calculate the average damage per hit for your specific gear and mods. Most of the time the differences are pretty small though
  • Options
    Atzel wrote: »

No, he just has a better understanding of maths than you do
  • Atzel
    56 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Atzel wrote: »

No, he just has a better understanding of maths than you do

So 42% CD is fixed and doesnt scale ? I Thought 42% more damage of 100 scales different than 42% more damage of 200 . I guess i am outmatched by you great mathematicians. I bow to your greatness masters
  • Options
    I guess I don't understand how CD is calculated either. Isn't CD calculated as a multiplier of offense? So if your offense increases, so does your CD?
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Options
    On a g13 character crit damage seems pointless, as an offense set would boost the damage a lot more. My HK for example at g13 has over 5300 physical damage. Does anyone still use critical damage sets?

Well, nobody should be using a CD set on HK anyway since his AOE can't crit. He already should have been an offense set anyway, even before G13.
  • Options
    On a g13 character crit damage seems pointless, as an offense set would boost the damage a lot more. My HK for example at g13 has over 5300 physical damage. Does anyone still use critical damage sets?

Well, nobody should be using a CD set on HK anyway since his AOE can't crit. He already should have been an offense set anyway, even before G13.

Agreed, on top of that he gets a boost to CD from leadership in most cases which means that offense set gives more damage even when he is critically hitting.
  • Options
    DarthJarX2 wrote: »
    I guess I don't understand how CD is calculated either. Isn't CD calculated as a multiplier of offense? So if your offense increases, so does your CD?

So the easy answer is "it's complicated". You need to take account of the character's base damage, crit chance, crit damage, offense added from gear in unfinished gear levels, offense added from primary and secondary stats on mods, in battle modifiers of crit chance/crit damage/offense/crit avoidance from leaderships uniques and buffs etc.

The point is though that CD from mods is additive to a base of 150% which then multiplies the offense including any changes from mods.

If you had a CD of 200% then the 15% from an offense set adds 30% to the damage of your attack. With a CD triangle you get 192% CD so your offense set would add 28.8% damage to every attack. The CD set adds 30% but only on critical hits.

The increase in offense going to g13 doesn't actually make a difference, what does is that the offense set now includes all the flat offense from the g12 gear pieces that were previously only made use of by the CD set. This lowered the crit chance break point for a CD set on a g12+5 character. For a g13 character the CC break point is typically much higher.

All in all there are a lot of characters where the average damage is higher using an offense set. There are some characters where the average damage is still higher for a CD set but typically it's only a marginal gain. You have to look at every character on a case by case basis though. And the CD triangle is still the best on the vast majority of characters.
  • Options
    Yea I always had offense on HK for that reason, also they gain offense under DR lead from the rebuffs and ferocity.

• Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    If it's HK, offense. If it's Marauder, CD. If it's GG, health with a CD triangle (more bang for your buck than a health triangle).
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    If it's HK, offense. If it's Marauder, CD. If it's GG, health with a CD triangle (more bang for your buck than a health triangle).

in fact you can even run with a CD set on GG. The CC break point is about 66% with no health secondaries, closer to 60% with ~5% and 5000 flat health. The difference between CD set + triangle and health sets + CD triangle is pretty marginal though and doesn't change as he stacks health so it just depends which set has the better secondaries in that case.

7tn8rypy03ns.png

don't forget to take account of Malak's crit avoidance though
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

CD kicks in as a multiplier of physical/special damage, not offense.

P/S damage is calculated:

AbilityMultiplier
    {
    [
    Base P/S damage from stats
    (offense%Set + offense%Mods)
    ]
    + linear offenseMods
    + linearOffenseUnfinishedGearTier
    }
    {
    leadershipOffense%Bonus
    + uniqueOffense%Bonus
    + buffOffense%Bonus
    - debuffOffense%Malus
    }

Then CD damage is calculated multiplying P/S damage by:

{
    + CD%set
    + CD%Mod
    + leadershipCD%Bonus
    + uniqueCD%Bonus
    + buffCD%Bonus
    - debuffCD%Malus
    }

Using % values as per one values -> 150%=1.50, 30%=0.30, 5.88%= 0.0588, etc...

G13 integrates the line "+ linearOffenseUnfinishedGearTier" into "Base P/S damage", allowing those linear adds to be multiplied by the offense%Mods and offense%Set.
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Options
    Offense set if character:
    -doesnt/can't crit hit.
    -primarialy uses SPECIAL damage.

Crit damage set if character:
    -can crit/good crit chance.
    -uses PHYSICAL damage.

That's basically it. If you look in the stats of a character you'll see the physical damage # is lower than the special damage number. But the physical damage crit chance is higher than the special damage crit chance. So...physical damage is lower damage/higher crit chance and special damage is higher damage/lower crit chance. Grand master yoda uses(should be) an offence set. Ezra's uses a crit damage set.

And before someone jumps in with an exception, YES there are some situations where either will work. My explanation is intended to help people understand the principles.
  • Options
    bisto_760 wrote: »
    And before someone jumps in with an exception, YES there are some situations where either will work. My explanation is intended to help people understand the principles.

There are definitely exceptions to those rules :p;)
  • Gair
    616 posts Member
    Options
    Juzz wrote: »

CD kicks in as a multiplier of physical/special damage, not offense.

P/S damage is calculated:

AbilityMultiplier
    {
    [
    Base P/S damage from stats
    (offense%Set + offense%Mods)
    ]
    + linear offenseMods
    + linearOffenseUnfinishedGearTier
    }
    {
    leadershipOffense%Bonus
    + uniqueOffense%Bonus
    + buffOffense%Bonus
    - debuffOffense%Malus
    }

Then CD damage is calculated multiplying P/S damage by:

{
    + CD%set
    + CD%Mod
    + leadershipCD%Bonus
    + uniqueCD%Bonus
    + buffCD%Bonus
    - debuffCD%Malus
    }

Using % values as per one values -> 150%=1.50, 30%=0.30, 5.88%= 0.0588, etc...

G13 integrates the line "+ linearOffenseUnfinishedGearTier" into "Base P/S damage", allowing those linear adds to be multiplied by the offense%Mods and offense%Set.

This. ^

Offense does scale to the base 'ability' not the base. People keep saying offense scales crit damage and that is not true. Offense scales the ability which can be scaled by crit. Very different outcomes.
  • Options
    Not touching the maths at all...
    I think there was a real effort of getting toons away from cd and speed mods.

Slow going but still going. I’m happy that Some toons don’t need the speed arrow. And more toons using health to their advantage. Other toons dealing “true” damage. I enjoy it.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options
    The only thing that G13 changes is that offense mods now multiply offense from the G12 gear. This means that like health%, offense% gets a boost, minor in most cases. Critical damage was already factoring in that G12 offense, so it stays the same.
  • Options
    -doesnt/can't crit hit.

-uses PHYSICAL damage.

That's basically it. If you look in the stats of a character you'll see the physical damage # is lower than the special damage number. But the physical damage crit chance is higher than the special damage crit chance. So...physical damage is lower damage/higher crit chance and special damage is higher damage/lower crit chance. Grand master yoda uses(should be) an offence set. Ezra's uses a crit damage set.

Why does whether the primary attack is special or physical matter for crit damage versus offense sets? Is it just because of the different crit chances?
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm not a numbers guy but I like offense mods the most, so that's what I farm and use the most besides from speed set
  • Jedi6371
    150 posts Member
    Options
    CD still hits a lot harder. So for characters like solo always go that route. Some like HK don’t crit (aoe) so offense is stronger. Ideally you want you roster balanced between the 2 sets with solid secondaries: speed, offense, offense %.
  • Options
    What is wrong with you great mathematicians?? Stop complaining and make a compromise. AKA use an offense set with a CD triangle. 216% CD means your crits do 216% more damage... 15% percent offense shouldn't be used on a character who crits a lot. Like Han Solo. But yoda, who would do much better with offense set, should have offense because his offense is amazingly high. Therefore 15 percent offense would be better for him. And theres still the CD triangle...

"When life gives you lemons, throw them at someone"
  • Options
    -doesnt/can't crit hit.

-uses PHYSICAL damage.

*Grevious*

"When life gives you lemons, throw them at someone"
  • Options
    Since I usually play without my slide ruler and abacus handy, I usually simplify it to 3 rules:
    1. Are they basically guaranteed a critical hit (scav Rey, Solo, etc)? Use critical damage.
    2. Do they have low/no critical chance (HK, etc)? Use offense.
    3. Do they have a hi, but not guaranteed critical chance (most attackers)? Use whichever set has the best primary/secondary combinations. This third rule is why my GMY is stuck with a CD set instead of offense, which would be slightly better if I had the mods to spare.
  • Options
    Since I usually play without my slide ruler and abacus handy, I usually simplify it to 3 rules:
    1. Are they basically guaranteed a critical hit (scav Rey, Solo, etc)? Use critical damage.
    2. Do they have low/no critical chance (HK, etc)? Use offense.
    3. Do they have a hi, but not guaranteed critical chance (most attackers)? Use whichever set has the best primary/secondary combinations. This third rule is why my GMY is stuck with a CD set instead of offense, which would be slightly better if I had the mods to spare.

this is a good way to do it for anyone not using their slide ruler. When it's close the secondary stats are what make the difference.
  • Options
    Sucaliaric wrote: »
    -doesnt/can't crit hit.

-uses PHYSICAL damage.

Why does whether the primary attack is special or physical matter for crit damage versus offense sets? Is it just because of the different crit chances?

exactly @Sucaliaric the heuristic bisto suggested works well because most special damage dealing characters have a low special crit chance and visa verse for physical damage dealers.

There are plenty of edge cases as bisto mentioned. My favorite is GMY who has a low special crit chance but when in a revan squad as a metirc (bad word) ton of CC in battle so CD set is more sensible... unless trying to kill a squad with jolee and GK who have a metric (bad word) ton of crit avoidance which makes offense mose sensible. But it's a bit of a subjective judgement call at the end of the day.
  • Options
    The only thing that G13 changes is that offense mods now multiply offense from the G12 gear. This means that like health%, offense% gets a boost, minor in most cases. Critical damage was already factoring in that G12 offense, so it stays the same.

@Bulldog1205 was it you that did a youtube vid on this at some point? Maybe worth sharing again/updating?
  • Options
    evoluza wrote: »
    yeah, g13 gives offense sets a very favorable boost vs CD. You do get higher CC with some characters at g13 so it's easier to reach the CC break point. But in some scenarios (eg boba under his leadership and FOTP under KRU leadership) offense is now better than CD even at 100% crit chance.

You'll have to calculate it on a character by character basis though. The easiest is to put your best offense set available on and your best CD set available on and then just calculate the average damage per hit for your specific gear and mods. Most of the time the differences are pretty small though

:insert facepalm:

2qbqntopjbxf.png

found one for you @evoluza!

Did you have anything constructive to add????
This discussion has been closed.