I like a challenge but how is this wai

Prev1
ak1f51oigjjj.png

Replies

• Options
    Yeah, for 8 defenses, the matchmaking should be looking at the top 100....not just the top 80.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Gary? Is that you? Lol
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, for 8 defenses, the matchmaking should be looking at the top 100....not just the top 80.

Relevant GP is flawed anyway. Maxed g12 double zeta'd Malak is almost the exact same GP as maxed double zeta'd KRU. I could go down a long list of characters with similar GP that are vastly different in terms of match performance. Which would you rather face - KRU or Malak?
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    How about this, I am 3.88m gp matched w all division 1. From 4.65m to 4.87m gp. However, this has gave me the nudge I need to find another pastime.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Relevant GP is flawed anyway. Maxed g12 double zeta'd Malak is almost the exact same GP as maxed double zeta'd KRU. I could go down a long list of characters with similar GP that are vastly different in terms of match performance. Which would you rather face - KRU or Malak?

It doesn't make it more impactful when you keep repeating the same point over and over across all such topics you know. Yes malak is not equal to kru, yes none of the algos we saw upto now ever looked into toon specifics...and it's unlikely any algo we see in the future will ever do so either. And NO -looks similar- doesn't mean it will check if the toon pics across 8 rosters in a league will look similar.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    No_Try wrote: »

It doesn't make it more impactful when you keep repeating the same point over and over across all such topics you know. Yes malak is not equal to kru, yes none of the algos we saw upto now ever looked into toon specifics...and it's unlikely any algo we see in the future will ever do so either. And NO -looks similar- doesn't mean it will check if the toon pics across 8 rosters in a league will look similar.

You're missing the point. GP - in any form, whether it's total or "relevant" is a terrible way to create match ups if you want them to be "close matches" because it's not an accurate reflection of functional effectiveness.

My point is simply that they need to come up with a better metric, as GP is really just a meaningless, arbitrary number. I'm not sure why people (on either side of the discussion) try to pretend it accurately reflects anything. It doesn't.

The introduction of g13 seems to have made matters worse. There are now numerous people posting 1v7 g13 and my example of 0v7 g13. Obviously, g13 is not well accounted for either now.

Ironically, my initial post trying to point out the flaws of "relevant GP" as a MM algorithm was before g13 was introduced. So somehow CG has managed to make things worse. Credit where credit is due..as I didn't think that was possible. :D

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

You're missing the point. GP - in any form, whether it's total or "relevant" is a terrible way to create match ups if you want them to be "close matches" because it's not an accurate reflection of functional effectiveness.

My point is simply that they need to come up with a better metric, as GP is really a meaningless, arbitrary number. I'm not sure why people (on either side of the duscussion) try to pretend it accurately reflects anything. It doesn't.

The introduction of g13 seems to have made matters worse. There are now numerous people posting 1v7 g13 and my example of 0v7 g13. Obviously, g13 is not well accounted for either now.

Ironically, my initial post trying to point out the flaws of "relevant GP" as a MM algorithm was before g13 was introduced. So somehow CG has managed to make things worse. Credit where credit is due..as I didn't think that was possible. :D

I don't think the two algos we saw till now meets the criteria of fair either. However I also don't think fair means the toons they developed should be somewhat similar either. If there was no geo tb which shut down any possible attempt to revamp GP calculation itself, I would still be opting for revising how GP is calculated to make it sense. But when it did, a maxed kru would still be similar to a maxed malak.

In the current picture my expectation would be several parameters to be jointly weighted when comparing rosters instead of one parameter to be used as a first qualifier and then others get into weighting (if there's anything as such at all right now). This expectation also stems from the very same post you quote on these topics where I understand it completely different than your take.
  • miketo
    139 posts Member
    Options
    People stop complaining about this. Get good. Period.

No whales will not only compete with whales. No people who invest into mods will not only compete with other people who invest in mods. No people who know how to develop strong squads will not only compete with other people who strategized their squads.

GP is the only thing to use. Furthermore GAC will sort the player base out. If you suck, you will eventually only compete against others who suck.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    OP I'm not saying thats not a tough matchup, but you seem to have a pretty good chance. Looks like you have a lot more GA experience.
  • Options
    @op go heavy offense. It's a really tough match but he definitely prioritizes defense. I think you have a good shot but hard to say since you didn't show mods-
  • Monel
    2788 posts Member
    Options
    miketo wrote: »
    People stop complaining about this. Get good. Period.

No whales will not only compete with whales. No people who invest into mods will not only compete with other people who invest in mods. No people who know how to develop strong squads will not only compete with other people who strategized their squads.

GP is the only thing to use. Furthermore GAC will sort the player base out. If you suck, you will eventually only compete against others who suck.

This is very true. I was watching a special on whales they other day and they almost never fight other whales. Usually they just gobble up small fish and krill.
  • Tanbimb
    70 posts Member
    Options
    bex0be5beku5.png
  • Tanbimb
    70 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot to attach mod picture in OP added now
  • Options
    Rip
  • Obi1_son
    656 posts Member
    Options

When Nikoms is right.... shouldn't he be free to post as much as he wants.
  • Options
    Here are the arena teams for the players in my GA. One of these things is not like the other...
    v1ckd4xdd39d.png
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Nicholi wrote: »
    Here are the arena teams for the players in my GA. One of these things is not like the other...
    v1ckd4xdd39d.png

Good luck! Unless you're the dude with the all g13 Malak team....in which case congrats!

But hey, look at the bright side - the algorithm is clearly working as intended. You can check that completely arbitrary "relevant GP" number in Discord. If the numbers are close, the match will be too because....math! And CG said so - and they've always gotten everything right.

May the Force be with you.

• CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    Have you fought them yet?
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    Vicarious wrote: »
    CHFC22 wrote: »

Same **** response.... different post, smh.

Yep. Almost as if I'm trying to prove a point about repetitive posts.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Vicarious wrote: »

Same **** response.... different post, smh.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Obi1_son wrote: »

Anyone can post as much as they want whether they are right or not.
  • Options
    Nicholi wrote: »
    v1ckd4xdd39d.png

Omg a lone CLS facing tons of Revans!
  • Pjfp
    34 posts Member
    Options
    One thing is gp based on top 80 toons vs QUALITY of those 80 toons. If you have useless toons at g12+ vs a focused whale who has jrk and Dr squads g13, then a gp based matchmaking is basically correct.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Obi1_son wrote: »

Nikoms disagreed with CG’s matchmaking algorithm. No, he is not free to post as much as he wants until he changes his opinion.

If, however, he agreed with the current algorithm, he would be free to post that agreement on any thread calling the algorithm into question as much as needed to shut down the thread.
  • Eutus
    232 posts Member
    Options
    All these threads look the same, haves and have nots. The have nots want adjustments to the matchmaking so they dont feel like they are in lopsided match ups. The haves benefit from said lopsided match ups.

Is it just an opinion if you have a stake in the match making algorithm? Or is it a bias 🤔
  • Options
    James2088 wrote: »
    I don’t get these Malak complaints, if someone has Malak, they’ve earned/payed to be better than you. Don’t compare him to KRU that’s ridiculous, if someone has the meta they get the advantage in TW in arena in GA in Fleets with fleet meta, that’s how it works, Otherwise why even bother work for the meta. If you’re comparing your KRU to someone’s Malak you lose, end of, and it’s completely fair.

The matchmaking algorithm says they’re equal...so it’s comparing KRU to Malak. But as you said “that’s ridiculous.”
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    James2088 wrote: »
    I don’t get these Malak complaints, if someone has Malak, they’ve earned/payed to be better than you. Don’t compare him to KRU that’s ridiculous, if someone has the meta they get the advantage in TW in arena in GA in Fleets with fleet meta, that’s how it works, Otherwise why even bother work for the meta. If you’re comparing your KRU to someone’s Malak you lose, end of, and it’s completely fair.

The matchmaking algorithm says they’re equal...so it’s comparing KRU to Malak. But as you said “that’s ridiculous.”

I don't have Malak but if two players choose different tanks why should one be penalized with a harder match over the guy that chose a "lesser" tank?

You choose your teams and whether to spend. Its on you. Anyway, if people without Malak never ran the risk to fight people with Malak, there would be no incentive to get him. IMHO.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    This doesn't show the most important factor for CG's matchmaking algorithm: Money Spent
    Whales who succeed are more likely to consider the investment worthwhile and, thus, spend again.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever