Run the old Marquees for newer accounts?

YetiYeti
434 posts Member
Why doesn't CG run the Marquee events for newer accounts that never got a chance to do them? It's already made PvE content and it stays locked for once per account.

It would be quite a good thing to do, don't cha think?

Replies

• APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    It's like watching a movie: first time, you got a free ticket so no cost. You liked it so you see it in the theater a second time, costs you around $10 (no snacks though). If you wait until it comes out on digital media, it will cost $20.

First marquee run: free.
    Packs for marquee run: $10 (originally)
    Waiting: $20 to catch up to Marquee release.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    Options
    ... except not everyone was around when the Marquee was released.

Everything CG does hits newer accounts the hardest. This would be a nice gesture towards them.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    YetiYeti wrote: »
    ... except not everyone was around when the Marquee was released.

Everything CG does hits newer accounts the hardest. This would be a nice gesture towards them.

Unfortunately, early adoption has it's privileges...and drawbacks. Yeah, I got every marquee when it came out. I also have a ton of GP I'll never make use of because at the time there was no drawback to going all-in...
    LQQKin @ you Resistance Pilot.

I mean, I want a refund for all the time spent laboriously farming the Jawas because that was the only way you could get Crit Damage mods back in the day if we're trying to "even the playing field".... except that's just how the game has changed over time. We all have to deal with the little injustices it presents our particular situation.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Marquees are like a preview for players that are playing during release. You still have to farm them to 7*, and they are of no use until then. Players who weren’t playing at the time will just have to farm from scratch. Fair is fair.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Tbf, marquees gave you a 3* toon that was usually unusable at that level. Then you were tempted to spend $10 for the next star because they wouldn't be farmable for quite some time. And at that point you weren't even sure they'd be any good. For new players they are farmable from day 1, and you know their exact value.
  • Options
    As a long time player think that this is a good idea. (I had a somewhat similar suggestion not too long ago) It's nearly impossible for newer players to catch up and be in any way competitive. It's no harm done to established players and would be a HUGE incentive for newer players to invest in a variety of teams.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Dagonsith wrote: »
    As a long time player think that this is a good idea. (I had a somewhat similar suggestion not too long ago) It's nearly impossible for newer players to catch up and be in any way competitive. It's no harm done to established players and would be a HUGE incentive for newer players to invest in a variety of teams.

The only way to catch up is with money. CG wants to keep it that way.

Also they seem to be trying to limit our shard shop currency, and this would not help them.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Against whom do they need to be competitive? In arena they are competing against ppl who started at the same time, so that argument doesn't work there. Guild events? They can join a new guild and work up like the rest of us did. GA? They will be matched more or less against similar players, and even have the advantage of not being matched against big spenders.

The whole "catching up" idea has no basis.
  • Dagonsith
    206 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Against whom do they need to be competitive? In arena they are competing against ppl who started at the same time, so that argument doesn't work there. Guild events? They can join a new guild and work up like the rest of us did. GA? They will be matched more or less against similar players, and even have the advantage of not being matched against big spenders.

It's a collection game.

The whole point of the game is to have as broad of a collection as possible. You literally just collect.
    We spend a wide variety of energy every single day in order to collect. With more and more toons released it becomes increasingly difficult for new players to do that. So you know.... catching up has a basis.

As for being competitive here's a bit of news that may shock you. They can be competitive against one another in a shard. Know what helps with that? Having a broad collection. And joining new guilds is ok I guess but not really necessary. GAC? AGAIN more teams means they can be more competitive against one another. Just because you don't understand or agree with something doesn't mean it doesn't have a basis.

I understand people have this weird Boomer like obsession with the idea that they had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow when they had it easier. Just let people have the same advantages as we enjoyed.
  • miketo
    139 posts Member
    Options
    Love this idea. If CG wants to entice new players to join this would help. Though, maybe the business model is to only cater to existing players.
  • Options

It's a collection game.

The whole point of the game is to have as broad of a collection as possible. You literally just collect.
    We spend a wide variety of energy every single day in order to collect. With more and more toons released it becomes increasingly difficult for new players to do that. So you know.... catching up has a basis.

As for being competitive here's a bit of news that may shock you. They can be competitive against one another in a shard. Know what helps with that? Having a broad collection. And joining new guilds is ok I guess but not really necessary. GAC? AGAIN more teams means they can be more competitive against one another. Just because you don't understand or agree with something doesn't mean it doesn't have a basis.

I understand people have this weird Boomer like obsession with the idea that they had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow when they had it easier. Just let people have the same advantages as we enjoyed.
    If every new player has an easy-access to a broad roster it won't make any difference compared to the current situation.
    Collection game or not, you won't have any use to a bunch of undergeared toons and if you can afford to buy gear pieces to speed up your roster's development, you probably won't mind getting another 50 shards.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options

It's a collection game.

The whole point of the game is to have as broad of a collection as possible.

Says who?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    You can have your marquee only if it means you can't farm the character in question for the next 3 months ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    APX_919 wrote: »
    It's like watching a movie: first time, you got a free ticket so no cost. You liked it so you see it in the theater a second time, costs you around $10 (no snacks though). If you wait until it comes out on digital media, it will cost $20.

Except if you wait long enough, the movie will be free on TV and you can just record it
    Or it will be also free on Youtube, Netflix or some other platforms
  • Options
    APX_919 wrote: »

Except if you wait long enough, the movie will be free on TV and you can just record it
    Or it will be also free on Youtube, Netflix or some other platforms
    Just like you can farm toons with free daily energy. I don't see how this contradicts what APX_919 said.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Getting a marquee is a privilege of playing the game at that time. It's a reward/bonus, that is part of the one way release path for those toons.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Getting a marquee is a privilege of playing the game at that time. It's a reward/bonus, that is part of the one way release path for those toons.

Exactly. It’s basically a preview. If you weren’t around for the preview, you don’t enjoy the benefits. Either way, you have to spend time farming the character.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

It's a collection game.

Ask the ppl with wide rosters how that works out for them. Collecting is not the point. You're thinking of a different game.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options

Yeah, but as a Day 1 player, who cares? Sure, I got marquee characters at that time, but I'd rather new players keep playing swgoh rather than give up because they'll have to farm everyone at once.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »

Yeah, but as a Day 1 player, who cares? Sure, I got marquee characters at that time, but I'd rather new players keep playing swgoh rather than give up because they'll have to farm everyone at once.

They could add the shards to bronzium packs so they might drop for a new player.
  • Rhydia
    104 posts Member
    Options

If they cared about what we have to farm all at once they’d have kept the hard node attempts at 8, maybe even bumped them to 10.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Rhydia wrote: »

If they cared about what we have to farm all at once they’d have kept the hard node attempts at 8, maybe even bumped them to 10.

They said 8 was temporary. Be glad it isn’t 3.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Doesnt that happen by incentivizing being active in the game to get such bonuses when they are available? New players get them from marquees if they are here, dont they unlock in the lvl 40 or 60 range?
  • Quigonlives
    124 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Why not make a separate table for Marquees on the main menu? Stick it to the left of the Guilds table. A list pops up with all the marquees that account has not played. Then, you pick the marquee you want and you trigger that event with that apropriate packs showing up in your store. This table could be on a timer like "Weekly Shipments." After you complete the event it then locks out of your account.

This would be excellent for new and returning players to help catch up their rosters and also give CG the opportunity for more revenue.