Truth behind malak's event

Prev1
Aydnie
432 posts Member
The truth is that there's no date for his return, but every new day, the swgoh bot rolls a random number that has a small chance to trigger the malak event. So like, you can either see him tomorrow than in 5 years

Replies

• Options
    No, the truth is he’s due back in 3 days. But every time someone starts a thread asking when he comes back they reset the counter.
  • Options
    Reading these threads is vastly more boring than the game for me.
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    This would make a good documentary.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Good that he doesnt come back. It gives more time for others to get ready
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Releasing Malak before this round of championship would have simply screwed up the matchmaking, which is, from what we saw, most likely based on variables like spending: y/n, how much spent, on what spent (Malak, first DR event) and so on and so forth. It's definitely not based on GP or what toons you have, as we clearly saw from the generalised complaint. Releasing Malak before the GAC would have brought so much complaint from whales getting defeated by f2ps that got Malak the second way around that they decided not to release him. It would make them lose some revenue by people that could see this as a deterrent, indeed. They're just doing all they can to sneak in whales' heads the solid belief that spending is right and that it does well in the game. They're just waiting for whales to get an actual edge even on other Malak owners (g13 Malak, g13 in general, other premium stuff they will release shortly and so on).
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    Drazhar wrote: »
    Releasing Malak before this round of championship would have simply screwed up the matchmaking, which is, from what we saw, most likely based on variables like spending: y/n, how much spent, on what spent (Malak, first DR event) and so on and so forth. It's definitely not based on GP or what toons you have, as we clearly saw from the generalised complaint. Releasing Malak before the GAC would have brought so much complaint from whales getting defeated by f2ps that got Malak the second way around that they decided not to release him. It would make them lose some revenue by people that could see this as a deterrent, indeed. They're just doing all they can to sneak in whales' heads the solid belief that spending is right and that it does well in the game. They're just waiting for whales to get an actual edge even on other Malak owners (g13 Malak, g13 in general, other premium stuff they will release shortly and so on).

This post is wrong.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Tinfoil hat alert.

Still not a he.
  • Options
    Searching for Malek: a swgoh documentary.
    Part 1 - where is he?
    Part 2- when will he return?
    Part 3- dev comment needed- when will malak come back?
    Part 4- no malak no fun!
    Part 5 - ugh everyone has malak arena is stale! I hate it! Can we get a hard to get toon!?!
  • Options
    No, the truth is he’s due back in 3 days. But every time someone starts a thread asking when he comes back they reset the counter.

Ten points to you sir for making me actually laugh.
  • Options
    Hopefully they release him soon...
  • Options
    Would expect it to reappear soon after the early jkr event ends ;)
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

Did we clearly see that? Didn't we clearly see from bots that every matchups also fits the ingame announced pertinent gp too?
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    Rest of the month's booked with CLS/R2 and JTR/BB-8. Doubt Malak's gonna overlap with either.

Probably not gonna see Malak until early August.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    The whole revan thing was done so well. Now if another malak event comes about no one will want to miss it. Even with delayed releases it went off masterfully.
  • Options

Whales expect him to reappear in August. They don't want peasants to get him yet and CG must obey. Lol
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Anytime you read "The truth behind X" you can pretty much automatically assume the next thing will be some loltastic conspiracy theory. in this case op went for a joke, and I'm fine with that
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    Options
    No_Try wrote: »

Did we clearly see that? Didn't we clearly see from bots that every matchups also fits the ingame announced pertinent gp too?

Oh, does it? Matching a 2.8M GP player with a 3.5M one is just fair then, is it? Clearly based on GP, that's clear. These two GP will surely also have the same pertinent GP. Guaranteed.
  • Mstrefe1
    281 posts Member
    Options

Oh, does it? Matching a 2.8M GP player with a 3.5M one is just fair then, is it? Clearly based on GP, that's clear. These two GP will surely also have the same pertinent GP. Guaranteed.

I went up against a guy that has 600k more GP, 5 more zetas, 6 more G12, 3 more G12+ pieces, and 13 more +15 speed mods than me. I lost by only 6 banners. I didn't play as efficiently as I could of. So to make things clear, just because your opponent has that much of a GP, zeta, G12, G12+, speed mods difference than you, doesn't mean you should immediately crawl into the fetal position and complain. As long as you try, and play smart, you can win.
    Looking for an amazing new guild? Check out Boba's Allience: discord.gg/trr93Ty
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

It can be fair or unfair, depends on other parameters, on principle alone it's very fair if their important parameters matches. And I'm not even claiming the new MM is good whatsoever. Just wearing the tin foil hat regarding your crazy -theories- based on -facts-.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    The first matchmaking algorithm made total GP vs total GP the primary indicator, whether or not ships were a part of the GA. This had much outcry because ships were unusable yet counted against you. The most common user suggestion was to exclude ship GP if ships aren't a part of the GA.

The second matchmaking algorithm made character GP vs character GP the primary indicator when ships were not a part of the GA. This had much outcry because it counted useless fluff at the bottom of the roster and encouraged practices like mod stripping. The most common user suggestion was to compare the top of the rosters based on how many teams you place to weed out all of the fluff.

Now the third algorithm DOES EXACTLY WHAT WE ASKED. It compares top of roster to top of roster. Why is matching a 2.8M GP player with a 3.5M player fair? Because the top of their rosters are similar and the bulk of that difference is probably a combination of ships, fluff at the bottom of the roster, mods stored on irrelevant toons, and random abandoned G7-8 toons.

And just like the last two algorithms had breakdowns, this one does too. But it's not 2.8M players facing 3.5M players. It's when you get up to that 3.5M+ range where that pertinent GP range is pretty much maxed and the difference becomes a ballooning roster of powerful toons below the cutoff. A valid criticism, but that will be iterated on in future takes on the matchmaking algorithm.

The matchmaking algorithm as it presently exists works as advertised. It's not that it doesn't care about GP. Rather, it interacts with GP in a sensible way that has its own issues but works better than comparing pure total GP to pure total GP.
    Still not a he.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    The first matchmaking algorithm made total GP vs total GP the primary indicator, whether or not ships were a part of the GA. This had much outcry because ships were unusable yet counted against you. The most common user suggestion was to exclude ship GP if ships aren't a part of the GA.

The second matchmaking algorithm made character GP vs character GP the primary indicator when ships were not a part of the GA. This had much outcry because it counted useless fluff at the bottom of the roster and encouraged practices like mod stripping. The most common user suggestion was to compare the top of the rosters based on how many teams you place to weed out all of the fluff.

Now the third algorithm DOES EXACTLY WHAT WE ASKED. It compares top of roster to top of roster. Why is matching a 2.8M GP player with a 3.5M player fair? Because the top of their rosters are similar and the bulk of that difference is probably a combination of ships, fluff at the bottom of the roster, mods stored on irrelevant toons, and random abandoned G7-8 toons.

And just like the last two algorithms had breakdowns, this one does too. But it's not 2.8M players facing 3.5M players. It's when you get up to that 3.5M+ range where that pertinent GP range is pretty much maxed and the difference becomes a ballooning roster of powerful toons below the cutoff. A valid criticism, but that will be iterated on in future takes on the matchmaking algorithm.

The matchmaking algorithm as it presently exists works as advertised. It's not that it doesn't care about GP. Rather, it interacts with GP in a sensible way that has its own issues but works better than comparing pure total GP to pure total GP.

I think the most common suggestion on the first MM brainstorming period was to look at multiple parameters in comparison. Whether we can agree on what those parameters should or should not be is another matter. But this one like all other brute force approaches are bound to fail because of that simple reason, it doesn't consider any of the intricacies of the game. And GP itself as a faulty measure couples with that fact.
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    I'm not I got him first time.
  • Options

Then why r u here?????
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    I think the most common suggestion on the first MM brainstorming period was to look at multiple parameters in comparison. Whether we can agree on what those parameters should or should not be is another matter. But this one like all other brute force approaches are bound to fail because of that simple reason, it doesn't consider any of the intricacies of the game. And GP itself as a faulty measure couples with that fact.
    "Multiple parameters" is not a suggestion. It is a lack of suggestion. The algorithm does look at multiple parameters already. But there's gotta be a weighting to them, and it's hard for us to assess on anything but the one principal parameter. And there always has to be a principal parameter. In this case, we're using pertinent GP.

What else does the matchmaking algorithm take into account? We do not know. And while you say pertinent GP is a poor measure, people cry foul because the most visible measures don't match up one-for-one, even things like number of zetas and number of G12s and number of +X speed mods (regardless of whether or where they're placed) which are also poor indicators in and of themselves, and become highly gameable if those are the principal matchmaking criteria. Or they point to, "Does my opponent have this one specific character I do not have?" as the principal indicator of whether or not a match is fair, which would be extremely gameable if it were made a hard line in the algorithm.

While GP is not a great measure, it's more difficult to game to such an extreme degree as some of the other suggested measures especially as the principal criteria.

There are improvements that can be made to the matchmaking algorithm and the GP formula. But it's been progressing along a reasonable course, and many of the other suggestions and non-suggestions would either be far more broken, far more gameable, or basically boil the mode to mirrors only.
    Still not a he.
  • Options

Then why r u here?????

Some threads aren’t boring. Some threads aren’t people asking “when’s malak coming back?” Or “GA matchmaking is so wack”. I come for them.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    "Multiple parameters" is not a suggestion. It is a lack of suggestion. The algorithm does look at multiple parameters already. But there's gotta be a weighting to them, and it's hard for us to assess on anything but the one principal parameter. And there always has to be a principal parameter. In this case, we're using pertinent GP.

What else does the matchmaking algorithm take into account? We do not know. And while you say pertinent GP is a poor measure, people cry foul because the most visible measures don't match up one-for-one, even things like number of zetas and number of G12s and number of +X speed mods (regardless of whether or where they're placed) which are also poor indicators in and of themselves, and become highly gameable if those are the principal matchmaking criteria. Or they point to, "Does my opponent have this one specific character I do not have?" as the principal indicator of whether or not a match is fair, which would be extremely gameable if it were made a hard line in the algorithm.

While GP is not a great measure, it's more difficult to game to such an extreme degree as some of the other suggested measures especially as the principal criteria.

There are improvements that can be made to the matchmaking algorithm and the GP formula. But it's been progressing along a reasonable course, and many of the other suggestions and non-suggestions would either be far more broken, far more gameable, or basically boil the mode to mirrors only.

Can you even be sure the algo is currently looking at any parameters beyond top X gp? I can give you concrete numbers what parameters to look at with what weighting and how much error thresholds if this was upto me, but it isn't. There doesn't need to be a principal parameters, an algo can simply check and match multiple parameters together with certain thresholds. i.e. consider a %20 threshold weighted in between zetas, g12, g13 and mod quality distribution (not the amount of speed of them), if need be this can be much more granulated with decreasing weighting to omegas and lower gear and the algo can balance loss in one parameter with gain on another (i.e. one player has less zetas but more g13s etc.)

Assuming that there really are different parameters applied behind the scenes right now, albeit softly (as said in one of the announcements I can't bother to find right now) they can simply dial the secondary weighting process up and that can also suffice too. And moving pertinent GP calculation beyond defense+offense slots can be nice, dunno where the sweet spot would be on that.

I'm all for keeping it as is and simply improving it, I don't think we are at a bad place at all right now, just a lacking one. If I did this from scratch, I'd simply revamp the GP tables all together to solve the problem once and for all, doesn't seem possible anymore as there are too many things attached to the initial abrupt GP calculation.

To reiterate for the last time, mods, g11-12-13,zetas and maybe omegas. No gp. Weighting doesn't need any use of gp at all. Current GP matching seem to have a very low threshold as pertinent GPs are almost a perfect match, that's not necessary at all as long as there's enough weight on other parameters and GP can only be used as a safety measure to avoid to far jumps. I bet if the above parameters nicely fitted between matches, people wouldn't care anymore if their opponents have +-250k gp.

And yeah, this was what the majority of what the talks consisted of when people were asking MM based on parameters-. The debate mainly relied on whether toon specifics should be involved, whether mods should be involved at all etc.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    Searching for Malek: a swgoh documentary.
    Part 1 - where is he?
    Part 2- when will he return?
    Part 3- dev comment needed- when will malak come back?
    Part 4- no malak no fun!
    Part 5 - ugh everyone has malak arena is stale! I hate it! Can we get a hard to get toon!?!

A new hard to get toon??? no way!

We just need counters that beat counters...
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    To reiterate for the last time, mods, g11-12-13,zetas and maybe omegas. No gp. Weighting doesn't need any use of gp at all. Current GP matching seem to have a very low threshold as pertinent GPs are almost a perfect match, that's not necessary at all as long as there's enough weight on other parameters and GP can only be used as a safety measure to avoid to far jumps. I bet if the above parameters nicely fitted between matches, people wouldn't care anymore if their opponents have +-250k gp.
    And here you make my point.

If what you're looking at are G11s, G12s, G13s, zetas, omegas, and mods as your sole factors, it's easy to exploit that system and leverage assets outside of that window.

By those criteria, any G10 character is ignored as a non-asset. Any character you can make useful at G10 lets you create material that the algorithm will never acknowledge as existing and the choice to cross from invisible to the algorithm to visible becomes a critical choice. And there are a great many units who *can* be highly effective at G10, most obviously many of the supports. Hoda, 3PO, FOO, even Thrawn or SiT. You can create multiple fully functional teams with only certain key members even visible to the algorithm, and upgrading characters into the visible range can become a significant disadvantage in addition to turning existing investments into an irrevocable and considerable penalty that makes life harder while newer rosters can shape themselves to exploit your algorithm.
    Still not a he.