Sir Alec Guinness and Star Wars

LordGrahck
344 posts Member
edited July 2019
Greetings,

I was reading an article on reddit about how Sir Alec didn't like his role as Obi Wan. It got me reminiscing about the time I first saw The Bridge Over the River Kwai, which also features Sir Alec. I was a hyperactive kid and the movie was showing on cable. My mom asked me if I wanted to see a movie with Obi Wan in it. Of course, I jumped at the chance. My mom, in her clever way, pitched the movie as being about how Obi Wan became a famous general. Mind you, this was before the Prequels came out. I sat there and watched the whole movie. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized what mom did, but I still enjoyed that movie all the same. It was because of mom's creativity that I got into watching old movies.

I always wanted to share that story with Sir Alec, but never got the chance. However, I'm curious to know if anyone has similar stories about how Star Wars opened them up to other possibilities.

Thanks,

Lord Grahck.

Replies

• Options
    I saw SW Episode 4 in 1977 as a child, so honestly, SW opened me to nothing but wanting more SW;)
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Greetings,

I was reading an article on reddit about how Sir Alec didn't like his role as Obi Wan. It got me reminiscing about the time I first saw The Bridge Over the River Kwai, which also features Sir Alec. I was a hyperactive kid and the movie was showing on cable. My mom asked me if I wanted to see a movie with Obi Wan in it. Of course, I jumped at the chance. My mom, in her clever way, pitched the movie as being about how Obi Wan became a famous general. Mind you, this was before the Prequels came out. I sat there and watched the whole movie. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized what mom did, but I still enjoyed that movie all the same. It was because of mom's creativity that I got into watching old movies.

I always wanted to share that story with Sir Alec, but never got the chance. However, I'm curious to know if anyone has similar stories about how Star Wars opened them up to other possibilities.

Thanks,

Lord Grahck.

Watch Kind Hearts and Coronets, Alec Guinness plays 8 different roles!
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Greetings,

Thanks,

Lord Grahck.

I have a similar story, my mum got me to watch "kind hearts and coronets", where he plays like 10 different characters, lol.

She didn't trick me though, she said he was in it and I was interested in seeing him in something other than star wars (of course I also saw the bridge over the river kwai too). They are both great movies.

He hated Star Wars as he said that was all he would be remembered by - I wanted to get him to sign an autograph saying how much I loved his performance in kind hearts and coronets, and secretly frame it with a picture of Obi Wan, lol.

Never got the chance to do that sadly.