GaC let's talk strategy

Krynn007
432 posts Member
edited July 2019
Ok, the horse has been beaten to death, a lot of people (myself included) hate the matchmaking in gac. Since I've seen this mentioned in just about every complaint forum let's talk strategy

Guys say they beat guys with 100k-500k + stronger than them by using strategy. So what is it that is working?

Maybe help those who complain, and maybe share some ideas and strategy. Since I see many say this, I've yet have heard of anything that seems much different from what most do

A ) Check opponent roster
B ) set defense squad if they don't have counter (high end players pretty much do)
C ) try hide squads in back row with hope opponent may use stronger ones in front line. (Again most experienced Ayers I assume they not to blow through their revans on a squad of ewoks in the front row)
D ) try using something different than the normal ewoks, rogue one, Phoenix, old Republic etc etc

Replies

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Krynn007 wrote: »
    So what is it that is working?

Leave one or two good teams on D, filler for the rest. You're better off leaving "bad" teams that aren't common (zMaul for instance) than "good" teams that everyone knows the counters for. You want your opponent to underestimate and put up an L. Save all your best stuff for offense.

Don't screw up and take multiple attempts on any battles on offense. Underman when you can, but don't take dumb risks - you'll get more medals from soundly crushing a team with a 5-man squad than you will from 4-manning it with everyone in the red at the end.

Don't suck at modding.

There you go, that's it. Mystery solved.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    I'll add a few tips.

If you see your opponent has a halfway decent Nest or Wampa, don't put out teams like Rogue One or Phoenix. Those are an easy 60-63 points.

Don't use teams that can't regenerate protection on offense unless you are pretty sure the opponent won't get a turn. Nightsisters are great and all, but that is probably a 56-point win at best. Same with Grievous; unless he is your only counter to someone he's gonna cost you points on offense because he's reliant on the rest of his team dying in many scenarios.

Trade up when you can. If you see a slower Bossk or Kylo Ren, consider using Ewoks or Troopers instead of JTR or Palpatine.

If your opponent is top-heavy and doesn't have enough viable teams for both offense and defense, flood your defense with B/C teams. You'll be able to blow through them with undersized teams and hard counters, while they will eventually hit a mismatch somewhere.

Consider putting non-standard substitutions for tired, predictable, teams. FOSFTP can really mess up Ewoks with his AoE. Jango lead can often outspeed BB-8. Throw L3 or Zaalbar on some random squad. Anything that can bait your opponent into making a critical error is good.

If you are outgunned, go heavy on offense and get the full clear. Maybe your opponent has a phone crash, clicks on the wrong character, or just straight up misplays something. I literally had an opponent lose because he didn't leave himself enough time to do all the matches.

I can probably think of some other stuff too. Those were just off the top of my head.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    BeralCator wrote: »

Trade up when you can. If you see a slower Bossk or Kylo Ren, consider using Ewoks or Troopers instead of JTR or Palpatine.

I'll add another example to this: I usually use my own First Order to take out opposing First Order teams.

Most people don't mod them very well and skip Stormtrooper because he's the hardest farm, and most don't bother to fully gear up the whole team. That makes it really easy to Halt the enemy KRU and use Stormtrooper, Officer and Kylo to feed tons of turns to the Executioner and just let him go to town - he'll one-shot the Officer or TIE Pilot a lot of the time. It's almost always a 60-point win. If they're really undergeared I'll drop the stormtrooper for the undermanned bonus.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    I have been soundly beaten by someone with 800k less GP that had similar but slower mods. I have beaten someone with 500k more GP with similar mods.

And literally mixing up your squads works. Throw in a random useful character and it causes them to think and worry and make a decision and, perhaps, a mistake. But putting the same standard teams in every D slot will get you a loss.
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Krynn007 wrote: »
    So what is it that is working?

Leave one or two good teams on D, filler for the rest. You're better off leaving "bad" teams that aren't common (zMaul for instance) than "good" teams that everyone knows the counters for. You want your opponent to underestimate and put up an L. Save all your best stuff for offense.

Don't screw up and take multiple attempts on any battles on offense. Underman when you can, but don't take dumb risks - you'll get more medals from soundly crushing a team with a 5-man squad than you will from 4-manning it with everyone in the red at the end.

Don't suck at modding.

There you go, that's it. Mystery solved.

This guy has it!
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Options
    I suspect a lot of the complaining comes from rosters too. Can we see yours ? If you’re not actively chasing the most powerful teams , you will always suffer. Both revans , padme , grevous , traya. Where do you stand on those teams ? How often are you up against those teams ?
  • Options
    Stick wrote: »
    I suspect a lot of the complaining comes from rosters too. Can we see yours ? If you’re not actively chasing the most powerful teams , you will always suffer. Both revans , padme , grevous , traya. Where do you stand on those teams ? How often are you up against those teams ?

I'm a day one player with all characters unlocked except Malak and Wat. However, I spend about $20/year on this game so most of my squads are undergeared or missing Zetas. As such, I will struggle with speed dependent mirrors like JKR, DR, etc. When I run up against a player with much better characters (and Malak) I often have to put something on defense to keep them honest.

For example, if my opponent doesn't have a good counter to JKR other than JKR, I'll put mine on defense in the front. Even though his team might be better we are now in the same boat. Either he saved it for offense and has to use it to clear my team, or he put it on D and we are both equally stuck. Either way the advantage is neutralized.

If you are REALLY outgunned, just go pure offense and try to rack up points and feats. Sure you'll lose the 1000 for the round, but you can still get plenty from clearing territories and climb to higher divisions.
  • Options
    Just today I beat a guy with a way better roster than mine by filling my defense with crappy teams and going all out on offense with undersized squads and stuff. I won by 15 points
  • Options
    Just today I beat a guy with a way better roster than mine by filling my defense with crappy teams and going all out on offense with undersized squads and stuff. I won by 15 points
    Do this. Just about everyone can get a full clear, and maybe you can bait your opponent into doing something silly. I lost one match this round by 20 points by trying to go for one of the short-fused feats instead of the win.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Do this. Just about everyone can get a full clear, and maybe you can bait your opponent into doing something silly. I lost one match this round by 20 points by trying to go for one of the short-fused feats instead of the win.

Yeah I have been ignoring most of the feats. Every time I stumble its because I am trying get one so I just stopped. The meagre feat income doesnt make up for the 1000 point win bonus.

Now if I had lost a number of matches, I would solely focus on feats.
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    Options
    I'm undefeated right now and have a pretty bad roster. I'm in division 3 with no Revans. Im not going to say I'm a genius as the reason why I beat better teams is mostly because my opponent doesn't think.

If you want to msg me your roster I can help you think of a really good strategy. I have a couple of techniques I use but I don't want to share my secrets.