Clearly they think matchmaking is working as intended....

Prev13
Randocalrissian
572 posts Member
edited August 2019
With tophats answers in the q&a it sounds pretty obvious that they feel the matchmaking is working as intended with the exception of the comment that they may be looking into players from being in different divisions matched up together. Tophat also mentioned the fact that GAC meant to be for players to use the entirety of their rosters even though it only factors in your top 60-80 toons and zetas and totally fails to factor in the exponential advantage g13 toons add to the base go number (220 gp I think is the difference between a g12/g13 toon). Failure to account for the significant power that one or more g13 toons on a roster provides the effected player is wildly inaccurate when matching with other players with less or no toons at g13. Raising the gp of g12 toons as was eluded to in the q/a does nothing to address problem with difference in overall toon power from a toon at g12 as compared to a g13 toon on the basis of a go number which doesn’t take into account that significant difference. Clearly there is something wrong with a matchmaking system that pairs someone with 2 full squads of meta g13 toons vs someone who maybe has a handful of g13 toons or none at all. Personally I have struggled in this ga, I would say about 60% of my matches have been working as intended (close but could go either way), the rest being grossly overmatched. Back to the point though, obviously the community feels pretty strongly about the legitimacy of the matchmaking for GAC.... not everyone feels this way but I would say there is a strong amount of players who feel that the matchmaking algorithm could be greatly improved upon..... nothing in the q/a made me feel like they think anything is wrong with it and for as many questions that they received on the subject they basically skirted the issue. It would have been nice to have received a bit more clarity on the subject as we move on to the next GAC. Anyway, rant over and prepare for incoming hate :)

Replies

• Options
    Agreed, I've been happy with 3 of my matchups out of 13 (won 1 and lost 2, so it doesn't mean i'm 'happy' only if I win).
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • Options
    50% of all players will have a match-up disadvantage in any particular round, as nobody has the exact same roster as anyone else. Obviously can never have a system where 100% of the players have favorable match-ups.
  • Options
    It’s not just about favorable matchups..... but the fact that a matchmaking system isn’t really taking the actual power of the toons being used in the matchmaking process. A g12+5 Darth Revan with 6* mods has exactly 220gp less than a g13 Darth Revan..... tell me how that’s fair in a matchmaking system. Compound that by multiple g13 characters and it starts to have a large impact on the snapshot of toons they use to matchmake
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    50% of all players will have a match-up disadvantage in any particular round, as nobody has the exact same roster as anyone else. Obviously can never have a system where 100% of the players have favorable match-ups.

I actually think it's more like 75% of people that believe they have a matchup disadvantage in any particular round, because people focus on the aspects of their opponents' rosters that are stronger while downplaying their own advantages, while their opponents are simultaneously doing the same from the opposite perspective.
  • Options
    Welp... They've turned my favourite game mode into a car wreck, and it appears to be working as intended.
  • Options
    Sounds like a personal problem Rando.

Love, your guildmate <3
  • Options
    Sounds like a personal problem Rando.

Love, your guildmate <3

💋
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    With tophats answers in the q&a it sounds pretty obvious that they feel the matchmaking is working as intended with the exception of the comment that they may be looking into players from being in different divisions matched up together. Tophat also mentioned the fact that GAC meant to be for players to use the entirety of the

Really? That's not how I read this response. It seem more like they dont think that and they know they need to keep working on it.
    Q: Matchmaking seems to be based on luck and has been fair for some and really unfair for others. What are your plans to make matchmaking more fair/balanced?
    A: Tophat - This is a pretty broad question (which is totally fine and great!), but it's hard to give a precise answer. I can provide a philosophical one from us on the dev team. Matchmaking systems require regular and constant iteration. This exhibition round was our first attempt at it. We're currently investigating the changes we need to make for the next round of improvements to the system. We do not believe that this is the last set of changes we will make - we are definitely going to be making some. Hang on with us as we continue to make it better - we're trying to make it really good.
  • Options
    @kyno Yet one of the suggestions was to make g12 worth more gp..... how does that solve anything?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Krynn007 wrote: »

Well when you lose about 99% of the time something is wrong
    At least before my win ratio was much better

How did you loose 99% of the time, when the current round is only the 13th of GAC altogether?

My personal win ratio is not much different now than during GA. However, the matches have been far more even than what I saw in GA. Even the matches, that players complain about here on the forums are far more even than what players complained about in GA.
  • Ruark_Icefire
    856 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @kyno Yet one of the suggestions was to make g12 worth more gp..... how does that solve anything?

I interpreted that as more of them saying they are reevaluating the GP calculations for everything starting from G12 and G13 will be part of that.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    kyno Yet one of the suggestions was to make g12 worth more gp..... how does that solve anything?

I agree with the above, i think they are just not conveying the idea correctly. If they increase the value of all the g12 pieces, doesnt that help the issue of the g13 discrepancies you were discussing??
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Matchmaking maybe could use a couple of tweaks but its the best its ever been.
  • Options

I interpreted that as more of them saying they are reevaluating the GP calculations for everything starting from G12 and G13 will be part of that.

He only mentions increasing the gp of g12 and eludes to nothing more, he was either being vague or failed to mention any changes associated with the gp of g13 characters.
    Assuming he meant g12 and up is purely speculation
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    kyno Yet one of the suggestions was to make g12 worth more gp..... how does that solve anything?

I agree with the above, i think they are just not conveying the idea correctly. If they increase the value of all the g12 pieces, doesnt that help the issue of the g13 discrepancies you were discussing??

Yes it would to an extent, the only problem with not adjusting g13 characters more than the 220gp associated with the finished piece is the amount of power/health/protection that goes with the stat multiplier gained from advancing the character to g13..... which is significant. Much more significant than the 220gp gained from the finisher gear piece.
  • Options
    Oh my God, line break.

Anyways, while he was light on specifics, he did make it clear the matchmaking algorithm is an iterative improvement process. And refining the GP calculation would impact and improve the matchmaking.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Yes it would to an extent, the only problem with not adjusting g13 characters more than the 220gp associated with the finished piece is the amount of power/health/protection that goes with the stat multiplier gained from advancing the character to g13..... which is significant. Much more significant than the 220gp gained from the finisher gear piece.

We don't know the full plan, but the point is that they dont seem to think its WAI as you stated.

This could just be their current focus to see what it does and other things will be changed as they go threw this process.

The point is they are working on it and its "new" which means it may take some work to get it great.
  • Options

We don't know the full plan, but the point is that they dont seem to think its WAI as you stated.

This could just be their current focus to see what it does and other things will be changed as they go threw this process.

The point is they are working on it and its "new" which means it may take some work to get it great.

Good enough I guess, we’ll see what unfolds
  • Options

No but you can have it to where everyone has a match they can have a chance to win. How do you account for the problem that some people want to remain undefeated ? Completely stealing their chance to do it makes the entire mode a joke for competition
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Matchmaking is fine. The only reason people think it's "broken" is because they seem to think "matchmaking" means "hand me an easy victory every time."
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Matchmaking is fine. The only reason people think it's "broken" is because they seem to think "matchmaking" means "hand me an easy victory every time."

This shows you've never bothered to read what people are saying. How is asking for EQUALLY powerful opponents "handing me an easy victory" but people facing other with half a million less GP and double the g12 characters not asking for an easy victory?
  • Options
    If you look closely in top 50 of division 1 most of them arent over 5m gp and some are in same guild,also I saw a matchup with a person in 32 position in division 1 with a person in division 2 in 6325 position.
  • Options
    People who favor this matchmaking is like you take a fat boxer and a skinny boxer, you subtract the fat from the fat boxer and only count how muscle he has and then you put him against the skinny guy even tho he weighs way more
  • Cutnail
    5 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm 100% free to play 4mill gp, 2.2 in squad. 2k or so rank in aurodium league, 1st I
    Fleet arena and top 100 in squad, 190mill gp guild. with 1 g13, with dr, revan, no malak. No grevious team worth anything yet, no maxed out geos yet, no padme team yet. in this 1st round ga, I faced a 200k gp higher opponent, who had 7 g13s, malak maxed, gg maxed g13, full g12 padme team, his mods are clearly better bc 95% of the time speed is the only stat that matters and he had at least 10 toons at 125plus speed. how is this a fair match making?

I put both revans on d knowing he put his on d, hoping he couldn't clear both of mine, he of course cleared me fully. And I couldn't clear him, I wasnt beating that #1 dr team with anything I had.

I thought jkr was the start of the death of this game, and that still may be correct, but g13 and how easy it is to obtain for pay to win players is the catalyst to the death.

This game needs people like me to keep playing, the middle class free to play, that sits between 2.5 and 4.5 mill gp, fills in guilds, gives pay to win people something to beat, helps through progression for growing guilds, etc., and up until g13 being introduced that group had fighting chances either with good strats, squad optimization, etc. The fact that my opponent has 7 to my 1 g13, and how monumental it is for only like 600gp increase, if that is a linear growth, which I believe it wont be, means he will have 49 g13 to my 7, that's 10 squads of g13 to my 1.5 squads. Congrats , the classes are so separated now and will continue to diverge so much that I dont see how I, aka the middle class, can stand any chance or even have fun anymore with that type of match making.

Edit: dont give me they are working on it speech, if they are working on it, put it on a test server or give everyone equal rewards, their "working on it" is costing people progression and annoying lots of people along the way, you dont test something so under developed in production environments, thats how you lose integrity and player base.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    People who favor this matchmaking is like you take a fat boxer and a skinny boxer, you subtract the fat from the fat boxer and only count how muscle he has and then you put him against the skinny guy even tho he weighs way more

Clearly that explains why most heavyweight champs are morbidly obese.
  • Options

This is utter nonsense.

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

This is utter nonsense.

Not entirely, although I think he should have pointed out that most ppl assume they have lost before even trying.
  • Options
    Solution!

Include a new matchmaking technique:

If you've spent over _____$ then you're in X bracket.

I'll take my lot with all you non malak's out there anytime.
  • Ruark_Icefire
    856 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

This is utter nonsense.

Not entirely, although I think he should have pointed out that most ppl assume they have lost before even trying.

I have seen quite a few people on these forums post about how their matchup is a sure loss based on the GP but then when they actually post their roster they have the advantage because they have a much better roster than their opponent. They are sitting on several meta teams and their opponent has a bunch of random junk geared up.