IPD no longer useful?

With g13 and people's health and protection easily pushing well above 100k, but even from before g13, it seems like massive damage aka 99,999 damage seems to have vastly lost it's value and it's ability to do what it was once meant to do, which was one shot characters. Back when no characters had over 100k health and protection, the idea was that massive damage would be so high that it would defeat anyone, clearly since g12 is hasn't been the case and that's now turned into a huge nerf for characters who utilize it, like savage and IPD.

On top of that, healing and protection recovery has become the name of the game in the meta for a very long time, so you can take a character down to 1 HP and they can fully recover health, even protection within a turn or two.

I know many new guilds are slowly unlocking IPD, but even for the ones who have had it for so long, I think it's sad that a character who has to sacrifice itself for a kill, can't get it. You can say it's still effective for taking out squishies but we're also in a meta with a lot of tunts and IPD is all about timing. Using it for lesser squads isn't clearly a good choice since the way the banner system works you always want to try going for clean, first attempt wins without casualties.

I am in favor of boosting massive damage to 199,999 since g12 and g13 have changed the game completely.

Replies

• Options
    Yes
  • Shok
    73 posts Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    This is actually a reasonable request.
  • Options
    I’ve stopped farming ipd because massive damage is just ticking the protection pool now.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Agreed with OP.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Agreed with OP.

Respectfully.

I think it could even be 999,999, if we’re sticking with the nine theme.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »
    Agreed with OP.

Respectfully.

True, then we wouldn't need to change it again next year when g14 GG has 250k health
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Agreed with OP.

Respectfully.

True, then we wouldn't need to change it again next year when g14 GG has 250k health

That's a very good point, although I hope g13 is the end of the gear grind, we'll still probably get better mods in the future, I can see Malak going over 200, Nihilus can easily get there with stacking health, Bastila lead can also achieve those numbers with the protection bonus and of course Nest. Who knows, maybe the devs wanna keep it to where one or two characters can survive it, I just think for now 99999 is simply too little
  • Turvantus
    223 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I’m good with it. Especially since I for one, see IPD as valuable even beyond his Self-Destruct. Just wish we weren’t being punished for luxury zetas. Especially due to GAC matchmaking algorithm. I’d probably get its zeta in a heartbeat otherwise, and run it full time in zEP comp.
  • flux_rono
    2120 posts Member
    Options
    I am in favor of boosting massive damage to 199,999 since g12 and g13 have changed the game completely.

while i agree, why not just change it to insta kill the enemy like savage and nihilus? keeping a solid number can cause problems with higher gear teirs. even current gear makes your number pointless...

going to swgoh.gg looking at top malak players one guy has: 54021 health, with 160333 protection... aka 214354 health. which is still higher then your supposed IPD change.
  • Options
    flux_rono wrote: »

while i agree, why not just change it to insta kill the enemy like savage and nihilus? keeping a solid number can cause problems with higher gear teirs. even current gear makes your number pointless...

going to swgoh.gg looking at top malak players one guy has: 54021 health, with 160333 protection... aka 214354 health. which is still higher then your supposed IPD change.

That's a fair criticism, at least I'm glad people like the whole idea, one thing we can all agree on is that 99999 is no longer a viable thing and it needs to be addressed
  • Options

I also agree with the idea, but as far as Savage is concerned I have to point out, that he is in the same boat as IPD. His Overporwer Special also only deals „massive damage“ and does not instakill anyone.

But as you can use this ability only on yellow health bar chars the 99 999 damage is usually still enough. But if they change IPD to instakill (which makes a lot of sense) they should do the same with Savage right away, too.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Savage also does "massive damage". Only difference is that when he uses it the enemy is below 50%, so unless they have over 200k, it's essentially an insta kill.
  • flux_rono
    2120 posts Member
    Options

Savage also does "massive damage". Only difference is that when he uses it the enemy is below 50%, so unless they have over 200k, it's essentially an insta kill.

i didnt not realize that, good to know. but yeah as far as i was concerned almost noone would have 100,000 health when under 50%
  • Options

i didnt not realize that, good to know. but yeah as far as i was concerned almost noone would have 100,000 health when under 50%

Unless they can recover protection. Savage's special will do 99999 if they have less than 50% health even if their protection is full. I forget when that happened to me but I knocked someone down to like 30% health but they recovered protection, or it was nightsisters plague that didn't finish them, anyways, I used Savage's overpower and they lived because their protection was alot, I felt like a fool in that moment
  • Options
    I get the logic, but it extends to ROLO too. You are basically saying make/keep slow to farm characters relevant. Well, ROLO has been irrelevant for quite some time. I don't think I have ever seen her in a GA squad.