Relics and the road ahead

4mmbq656h5al.jpg

The underlined part had me excited for relics but after the last two posts they sound like rebranded G14

Replies

• Options
    That image was from the last road ahead below, dated 7/29
    Unlocking Iconic Power
    CjjMSec.jpg

Star Wars is a galaxy filled with objects just as recognizable as the characters that wield them: Darth Vader’s mask, Hermit Yoda’s cane, Rey’s quarterstaff, Darth Maul’s lightsaber, and more. While we’ve done our best to represent many of these objects on the character models themselves, we believe that there is something inherently mythical about these iconic items.

Traditionally, progression and power in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes has been represented by abstracted stars, gear, or modifications to your character card. In the coming months, we’re excited to begin talking about the next phase of character progression in the game, revolving around unlocking and mastering power represented by a unique item associated with each and every character in the game.

Finally, what if these items not only granted you immense character power, including potentially brand-new abilities, but if they were also enhanced using the massive quantities of accumulated unspent gear and materials that longtime players have piled up over years of collecting and playing?

Our goal is to not only make the game feel more truly connected to the Star Wars galaxy, but also to reward longtime players for all of their dedication over the years, and make players feel like everything they’ve ever collected and amassed in the game matters. We’re excited to talk about this new feature more in the coming weeks and months!

See you on the holotables.

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Welcome to the party
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Welcome to the party

Like when I turned 16 and my mom promised a new car and wrapped a hot wheels
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    TydusKlife wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Welcome to the party

Like when I turned 16 and my mom promised a new car and wrapped a hot wheels

More like mom promised a kick to the kiwis and you got it
  • Options
    Honestly if relics just become another way to turn gear to stats, like all normal gear, it will be a blatant disregard for what the players wanted and just glorified g13 pieces, especially so soon after g13.
  • Krjstoff
    634 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Relics is just another gear level - but a way harder one.

So, per the screenshots posted, a basic gear salvage will have a scrapping value of 6.
    And you need to reach 45 to create a piece of scrap (at least the scrap piece shown).

That's 7,5 gear salvages pr. scrap.

In another screenshot we can see that it takes 90 scraps and 35 signal data to upgrade Dooku's lightsaber from what looks like level 2 to level 3.

That's 675 gear salvages just for a low level increase - and the 35 signal data to be farmed from cantina.

An increase from level 6 to level 7 seems to require 120 scraps - or 900 gear salvages - and 80 signal data.

So for the fun of math let's say that we need an average of 100 scraps and 50 signal data pr. level, then we'll need 4.500 gear salvages and 300 signal data per relic (if we start at level 1 and need to level up 6 times to get to level 7).

Looking at zeb's Bo-Rifle stats, it gives him around 30.000 health and protection for a maxed Relic.
    That's look a lot like what a regular tank gets from all six G12 pieces.

I just don't remember those six pieces requiring 4.800 salvages to complete...

Furthermore I'm willing to bet that the further a scrapping piece is placed to the right in the line of what's required to upgrade from one level to another, the higher the "scrapping price" will be per scrap.

Yeah ... relics are totally NOT a new gear level...
    Post edited by Krjstoff on
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    I forgot about the brand new abilities part

They might reveal that at a later time instead of making one post covering power and abilities
  • Soz58
    108 posts Member
    Options
    They meant the ability to farm gear in Cantina, I’m not even sure if this is a joke...
  • Options
    Relics ain't out yet. There's more to them than we know. Wait and see.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    You can also see and read the whole segment which says "potentially brand new abilities".... but sure lets ignore that part and move on.

As stated above we dont have the whole picture, but yes they do seem to just be a dumping zone for gear now that they are closing off the gear path.....

Honestly I still see thia as a good thing. This will allow many to solidify their roster (the whole "we need to catch up thing") and some to really make the toons they love to use peak). It's more than a new gear level, but not quite what it could have been.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    You can also see and read the whole segment which says "potentially brand new abilities".... but sure lets ignore that part and move on.

As stated above we dont have the whole picture, but yes they do seem to just be a dumping zone for gear now that they are closing off the gear path.....

Honestly I still see thia as a good thing. This will allow many to solidify their roster (the whole "we need to catch up thing") and some to really make the toons they love to use peak). It's more than a new gear level, but not quite what it could have been.

"potentially new abilities" is still pretty far from "just more stats", though. Hopefully there's more to the relics than what we know so far.
  • Soz58
    108 posts Member
    Options

How many times do we need to solidify the SAME characters? We gear them up more and make them more powerful and then we get to use them in the same Raids and activities... I know you’re doing your Job on the Forum, but you must see that the people who have been playing this game for years are tired of just farming gear of any kind, all the youtubers say the same thing “we want new activities and Raids, not re-skins”

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Soz58 wrote: »

How many times do we need to solidify the SAME characters? We gear them up more and make them more powerful and then we get to use them in the same Raids and activities... I know you’re doing your Job on the Forum, but you must see that the people who have been playing this game for years are tired of just farming gear of any kind, all the youtubers say the same thing “we want new activities and Raids, not re-skins”

The devs either don't care what you want, or it's very low on their priority list. They need to keep extending the grind, so that people always have something to spend on. You're not meant to ever "finish" a character, because when you start finishing characters, you stop spending money, and then there's no game anymore.

That's the business model. You don't have to like it, but if you're not going to stop playing you should probably make your peace with it.

As far as the "potential new abilities" bit, I would guess that a future update will add more relic upgrade levels which will start to unlock new passive-unique type stuff. Obviously, pure speculation on my part.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    It's more than a new gear level, but not quite what it could have been.

It is just a new gear level but with a reduced restriction on the items needed to gear up.
  • Soz58
    108 posts Member
    Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

That’s part of a business model, I would think listening and making your customers happy is a pretty big part of it.... I’ve spent thousands on this game and was happy to do it at the time, but the content isn’t there anymore and based on the $$ brought in this past year compared to the prior years speaks volumes.

The devs either don't care what you want, or it's very low on their priority list. They need to keep extending the grind, so that people always have something to spend on. You're not meant to ever "finish" a character, because when you start finishing characters, you stop spending money, and then there's no game anymore.

That's the business model. You don't have to like it, but if you're not going to stop playing you should probably make your peace with it.

As far as the "potential new abilities" bit, I would guess that a future update will add more relic upgrade levels which will start to unlock new passive-unique type stuff. Obviously, pure speculation on my part.

• Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    It's more than a new gear level, but not quite what it could have been.

It is just a new gear level but with a reduced restriction on the items needed to gear up.

Not necessarily. From the sound of it, each upgrade to the relic is its own gear level, and each new level requires higher and higher level gear. It sounds like gearing a whole new character.
  • Options
    Ok, another g14 and money extortion. No wonder.

May I at least ask if “perfectly new items everyone wanted” would have a different look on a character or it is just numbers (aka extremely lazy design)?
  • Options
    Vinniarth wrote: »
    It ain't extortion. All the old stuff will still work, just like most of use beat G12+ characters using G11 characters on the regular by knowing our matchups.
    Still not a he.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I am a player who has been here since the beginning.

I am sure they have new things coming, and I'm sure many will call them reskins, because that's what happens... but every other time we have had difficulty content and no real avenues to advance, this time they seem to be setting us first to beat the things that are coming and the last new thing they dropped (which is new content).
  • Options
    "Within the upcoming months players will be able to solidify their characters even more with G15 for your Relics."

Just wait and see. Lol :D:D

• Options
    Maybe tier 7 will be the ability.

I want to see the conversions and the economy post.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Vinniarth wrote: »
    It ain't extortion. All the old stuff will still work, just like most of use beat G12+ characters using G11 characters on the regular by knowing our matchups.

That is not what I was asking. Reread and try again.
  • ottomaddux
    490 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

ha ha ha ha

there is still going to be a gear crunch getting to g13, unless they plan on turning the spigot to firehose, I already need over 20,000 carbantis, how many more am I going to need for my relics?
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options
    ottomaddux wrote: »

ha ha ha ha

there is still going to be a gear crunch getting to g13, unless they plan on turning the spigot to firehose, I already need over 20,000 carbantis, how many more am I going to need for my relics?

20,001 :P
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

ha ha ha ha

Honestly if you look at the picture and the information we have, we can draw some conclusions:
    - at some point in a future that is far far away, players will start getting to a point where they dont need many different pieces of gear at many levels
    - any increase at this point brings that closer

Were both of those true before, yes, but now there is an actuall stopping point of a direct need for piece X or Y.

- this new way of "gearing" doesnt require X or Y gear

This looks like we are finally getting some ability to parallel path progression, where not everyone needs to wait for the same thing.

Can you use caribanti, sure, but you dont need to, and that's a good thing.
  • Options
    ha ha ha ha

Looks like zero.

The salvage system boils all the gear in the game into six pieces of scrap. There are multiple ways to get them, but you will not need any singular, specific gear piece to get a certain piece of scrap.

There will be some sort of bottleneck. This is a resource management game; there is always a limiting resource. But it appears that bottleneck will be, "I need more yellow gear," not, "I need more eyeballs."
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Just quoting this part, as what comes to my mind is this: it was bait. :D
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not overall negative about the new relics, rather want to wait and see how they will turn out when the time has come. But I have to agree with some people that this potentially part was one of the most interesting details that raised some expectations.