Best Defensive Arena Teams

Prev1
Since we've had some updates and a lot of answers to this question have been buried or are older news let's see what the more popular teams currently are.

There are a lot of options now available for offensive and defensive squads. If you had access to every character maxed out....

In your OPINION what do you think is the most effective AI team to hold rank and why?

Replies

• Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would probably think a stall team.

Bariss, 5s, RG, Poe, Han

Maybe swap Poe or Han with Savage, or anyone else who has super HP. You wont kill Bariss and she will just keep throwing HP balance + heal. 5's counter with Savage damage and killing.... yeaaa that would be an annoying team.

Second try might be
    Bariss, 5s, RG, Poggle, Savage
  • Options
    Best on my server is being offensive -> QGJ/Rey/RG/Geo +1 (Dooku, Yoda, Daka) 1 mistake and you lose
    Alliance Leader and Leader of DeathStarVentDesigners - Discord App: Kelthuzad#5528

DeathStarVentDesigners | DeathStarPortDesigners | DeathStarDelinquents | DeathStarRebelWranglers | DeathStarDarkKnights | DeathStarReactorDesigners | DeathStarGermanOrder | DeathStarHumanResources | Aussie Battlers | Terra
  • Options
    I am very curious about this... I see a lot of teams running QGJ as lead but there usually is no other jedi with him... His leader ability says it only grants jedi the speed buff, so why keep him as lead unless you just want him to go first with his assist skill?
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Leapster wrote: »
    I am very curious about this... I see a lot of teams running QGJ as lead but there usually is no other jedi with him... His leader ability says it only grants jedi the speed buff, so why keep him as lead unless you just want him to go first with his assist skill?

Correct. QGJ can also go first and give the entire team a damage buff. Not sure if that's how its supposed to work. I know it removes a buff then gives offensive up, but I dont use QGJ so I am not sure if he gives buff up regardless of whether he purges a buff or not.

I have lost a few matches because I have seen a QGJ first turn humbling blow on my sid (who had no buff) followed by damage up on all his allies. It's basically a first turn poggle.

Other times he can just one shot someone like GS/Rey with his assist. Hell, he can almost one shot dookus to prevent him from going second.
  • Options

I have done this at times, still do depending on what I face. It makes him very fast. If you run him as lead with Dooku and GS you have the control out of the gate with Dooku then 2 potential 1hko's with Harmonous and Swarm.
  • Options
    Best defense is a good synergy team with balance in it.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options

@DarthMasterShawn
    Such as? I provided examples, I would like to see more :)
  • Options
    All you mostly see is the synergy described above with QGJ as Leader and that offensive team seems to be the best defense ironically. Can't wait for this speed meta to go away. The trick is to have some character balancing done so that everyone is useful....
  • Options
    Toukai wrote: »

@DarthMasterShawn
    Such as? I provided examples, I would like to see more :)

@Toukai

You did. Examples that would not hold top 50 on my shard honestly. They are deathly slow and no DPS, no real synergy. Just a collection of taunts and high HP that any dPS team could tear through. No offense. Poe and Han are 1hko.

Poggle lead
    QGJ
    GS
    Daka

Would shred those teams. Han and Poe 1hko. A smart person T's off on your RG. Lets the other taunters go, Humbling blow to break Poes, 86 1hko's Han as he goes right after, has poggle lead buff plus offense up. Back to RG. Meanwhile your team is doing next to no damage at all with 5 wet nooidles attacking. Only real threat is RG stunning like crazy. If I saw that build on mine, which I never would in the top 10. I'd attack it right at payout so it lasted.

Your ideas would make for a long fight, but you would not hold. If the timer were 3 minutes then yes I think many would have issues as the HP is huge, just the speed and no DPS would bite you.

I rarely drop, even overnight, from the top 10, never out of top 20. Just depends how active my overseas mates are. Here is what I left for 3 nights now and not left the top 10. I will not go into why the synergy is there, but this build has great synergy, as I just did a synergy piece in my guilds forum. I use it on attack too and have yet to meet a build I can't beat with ease.

Dooku lead
    GS
    QGJ
    Daka
    RG

Your idea was thoughtful, it just would not execute due to no speed or DPS. 5 minutes is plenty of time to tear through a stall team.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    @DarthMasterShawn

Eh, I have heard people complain about that team because, yes they have no speed, but a poggle buff to the tanks makes them deal huge damage (5s counters especially). RG throws stuns to limit the dps, and it could work for most teams.

As for holding top 10, well, nobody can hold top 10. From everything I have read it's just an endless cycle of murder for the spots during payout time.

I, too, have switched to a Dooku lead now that he is fixed and I have stopped dropping considerably. I am working on Daka and QGJ still, and I just dont have enough resources to add RG into the mix. My team will forever be behind the meta :)
  • Options
    Very insightful information. I am looking forward to a non-speed meta in the future just to mix things up a bit. RG takes a bit to farm is there anyone you would recommend to swap with his spot? (I know I said imagine all chars maxed - but for myself and others working towards these an alternative would be good info)
  • Options
    As an additional thought...
    Since the meta is very much based around speed and buffing your team. Would it make sense to try and build a team that limits the enemies turn meters or cast a speed down buff and can also steal or debuff the enemy team? I'm thinking things like Akbar and Yoda (Not sure who a good speed down char would be just yet)
  • Options
    @DarthMasterShawn

Eh, I have heard people complain about that team because, yes they have no speed, but a poggle buff to the tanks makes them deal huge damage (5s counters especially). RG throws stuns to limit the dps, and it could work for most teams.

As for holding top 10, well, nobody can hold top 10. From everything I have read it's just an endless cycle of murder for the spots during payout time.

I, too, have switched to a Dooku lead now that he is fixed and I have stopped dropping considerably. I am working on Daka and QGJ still, and I just dont have enough resources to add RG into the mix. My team will forever be behind the meta :)

@Toukai

I've held top 10 for 3 days. As I said I rarely drop from it. Poggle buff helps your tanks, but any smart attacker(we are talking D) Is going to smoke Poggle before he goes. I'd waste Dooku, QGJ, and GS attacks to do that to avoid the buff then whittle your tanks down.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    @Leapster
    There arn't a lot of good speed down characters. Most characters are speed up:
    ST Han - everytime he is attacked during his taunt gives your entire team 20% turn meter.
    Phasma - straight up gives turn meter to your entire team
    Dooku - gains turn meter when attacking outside of turn
    etc.

Poe is the only one I know who gives a big turn meter reduction, and he is pretty good.
    Phasma also gives speed down, and so do a few auto attacks from tanks (5s), but for the most part speed metas cleave through the people who give speed down.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @DarthMasterShawn

@Toukai

I've held top 10 for 3 days. As I said I rarely drop from it. Poggle buff helps your tanks, but any smart attacker(we are talking D) Is going to smoke Poggle before he goes. I'd waste Dooku, QGJ, and GS attacks to do that to avoid the buff then whittle your tanks down.

@DarthMasterShawn
    It was just theorycraft haha. My main team isnt that good and I havent reached below 50, so I'll believe you. I am f2p and spent all my time farming Sid, Lumi, Phasma, Dooku, GS (annndd i was a noob who didnt read the forums so I burned my first month and a half on leveling and staring Chewie) so I am a bit behind. Trying to play catch up but I doubt I can recover.

Right now I run Dooku lead, GS, Sid, Lumi, Phasma and I swap Phasma/Sid out for IG88 (also maxed as I was attempting to go for droids before they fell off the face of the earth) depending on team.

I was running Sid(L), Phasma, IG88, GS, Dooku and that worked pretty well for the IG88 aoe, but ever since QGJ meta and players getting smarter IG88 is just too much of a liability. I dont even have poggle yet (working on it. 50/80 shards).
  • Options
    @DarthMasterShawn

@Toukai

@DarthMasterShawn
    It was just theorycraft haha. My main team isnt that good and I havent reached below 50, so I'll believe you. I am f2p and spent all my time farming Sid, Lumi, Phasma, Dooku, GS (annndd i was a noob who didnt read the forums so I burned my first month and a half on leveling and staring Chewie) so I am a bit behind. Trying to play catch up but I doubt I can recover.

Right now I run Dooku lead, GS, Sid, Lumi, Phasma and I swap Phasma/Sid out for IG88 (also maxed as I was attempting to go for droids before they fell off the face of the earth) depending on team.

I was running Sid(L), Phasma, IG88, GS, Dooku and that worked pretty well for the IG88 aoe, but ever since QGJ meta and players getting smarter IG88 is just too much of a liability. I dont even have poggle yet (working on it. 50/80 shards).

@Toukai

I love theory craft myself. By your build I had guessed where about you were so offered not criticism but input to try to help for the next level.

Honestly I love Phasma as non lead. Used correctly she can really have huge impact on the fight.

Droid wise 86 is far and away the best. He is arena viable top level on the right build. I used him on 4 different ones that got me 1st and kept me top 15. Maxed he can survive the 1hko, he is a very consistent damage dealer and a Crit machine. He and GS together are great.
  • Leapster
    124 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @DarthMasterShawn Could you let us know what you think the best alternative to each of your chars would be in the team you listed above:
    Dooku lead
    GS
    QGJ
    Daka
    RG

Just for people that might not have those high enough to be useful.
  • Options
    @DarthMasterShawn Could you let us know what you think the best alternative to each of your chars would be in the team you listed above:
    Dooku lead
    GS
    QGJ
    Daka
    RG

Just for people that might not have those high enough to be useful.

@Leapster

I was asked to give an example of what I meant in synergy based team, so I used mine that I run. When you sub out you disrupt the synergy.

Honestly there is not replacements to build a team that has the synergy there. That is the thing with synergy.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I'm just looking to expand on these types of teams that would be viable.
    They don't have to hold top 10 and other examples might not be the very best but the goal would be to decrease the amount of positions someone falls when they aren't active.

Would you mind maybe offering a second or third team option for the sake of variety?
  • Options
    I guess AA/Han/HRS + 2 dps would work (QGJ/Geo for assist, besides Rey/7* Leia of course)
    Alliance Leader and Leader of DeathStarVentDesigners - Discord App: Kelthuzad#5528

DeathStarVentDesigners | DeathStarPortDesigners | DeathStarDelinquents | DeathStarRebelWranglers | DeathStarDarkKnights | DeathStarReactorDesigners | DeathStarGermanOrder | DeathStarHumanResources | Aussie Battlers | Terra
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options

Geez, don't make me drool like that. :)
    Seriously, there is no such thing as a true defensive team in arena with the current meta where DPS is out of control and 15k health characters can be one-shot.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    What about thoughts on a very stun heavy or counter-attack heavy type of team? Do you think those would provide enough crowd control or return enough damage to be viable?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I used to run a stun team. But you are at the mercy of RNG and it's not fast enough with all the "one-shot you in the first round" teams that people are running.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options

Bariss, 5s, RG, Poe, Han

Maybe swap Poe or Han with Savage, or anyone else who has super HP. You wont kill Bariss and she will just keep throwing HP balance + heal. 5's counter with Savage damage and killing.... yeaaa that would be an annoying team.

Second try might be

5 minutes is more than enough time for any top 10 dps team with a Lumi maybe even without to shred that team.

Han RG Poe Bariss/5s die in that order.

RG's taunt is meaningless with someone else taunting that you need alive. I would swap Poe and Han for daka and elder so they revive RG. Yoda for buffs and turn and i dont know who leading
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options

Bariss, 5s, RG, Poe, Han

Second try might be

5 minutes is more than enough time for any top 10 dps team with a Lumi maybe even without to shred that team.

Han RG Poe Bariss/5s die in that order.

RG's taunt is meaningless with someone else taunting that you need alive. I would swap Poe and Han for daka and elder so they revive RG. Yoda for buffs and turn and i dont know who leading

@Mephiston yea, thats why I changed secondary to baris, poggle, 5s, rg, savage. Only one taunted in a team of tanks who gain bonus damage and counter with a heal through health debuff.

Still, speed meta wins apparently :)
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Bariss, 5s, RG, Poe, Han

Second try might be

I would think that a better 2nd team would be:
    Bariss, 5s, RG, Han, Daka.

Daka is helpful with her stun, heal, revive and AI seems to be more successful with the stuns/revives than when I use her.
  • Reyne
    74 posts Member
    Options
    People saying speed teams are best for defense aswell seems to be wrong. I've been running QGJ lead, with yoda, GS, Dooku and Poe/Lumi and I've been dropping ranks like never before. Might try out Dooku lead, but I don't have Daka or RG -_-
  • Options
    Reyne wrote: »
    People saying speed teams are best for defense aswell seems to be wrong. I've been running QGJ lead, with yoda, GS, Dooku and Poe/Lumi and I've been dropping ranks like never before. Might try out Dooku lead, but I don't have Daka or RG -_-

It has now become speed with RG, as the RG either slows enemy tempo or can stop it entirely. Also, RG teams tend to eat non Daka rng speed teams for breakfast.
  • Options
    Thinking it is something with evasion lead.

Evasion in this meta can be as good as a daka raise. Since everyone is running teams that hinge on killing at least 1 guy during the first round. A single evade is almost the same as a daka raise.

Sometimes evasion does nothing as well though.

One guy runs dooku lead. Rg. Yoda. RP. And Rey. Evasion leader with 3 guys that foresight. Plus an autotaunt...Attacked him yesterday NP won 5 chars to 0. Today couldn't hit him at all lost 0 to 5.

This type of variance should be enough to help ya be avoided..not by me though I'd rather lose crystals and try and figure out how to crack the nut than avoid
  • Options
    Whatever team has the most RNG.