GAC replacing Arenas as Primary Source of Crystals

Prev1345
Is likely an idea that will finally push many of us to finally quit.

Why?

Multiple reasons.

1. Social Interaction

One of the primary reasons I continue to play the game is to chat with my shard friends. If the reason for those chats are removed, they will likely go idle or break up. A major social incentive to continue this game will no longer exist.

2. Time Required

Many of us get 900 crystals daily from arenas for ~5-10 minutes of work (maybe like 20-30 min during the JKR and Mace metas..). Many of us can easily spare that amount of time even on a busy life schedule. That said, GAC takes considerably more time investment. Needing to complete considerably more battles aside, the time required for modding alone in order to compete at the highest levels is very significant. Modding one squad, not a huge time sink. Modding 16 squads... entirely different. Bottom line, if we have to spend more time and effort to get the same crystal income we get currently? Sayonara.

3. Cheaters

My shard chats have had one obvious cheater. CG never removed this person even after multiple reports. Cheaters can be locked up and trained out in a shard. There is no protection against them in GAC.

4. Matchmaking

We are not matched against like competition. Being in Division one, I am routinely matched against guys who have every character g12 (and an ever mounting g13 advantage) and mods on every defense character in excess of +120 speed. I have spent a fair amount on this game, but being matched with someone who has spent 30x, 50x, or 100x what I have spent is not my idea of fun. Beating one squad every day in arena is not a problem against a Kraken. Beating a full roster is. If many of us see a Crystal reduction due to this, once again, expect departures.

5. GAC isn't fun.

I actually enjoy it, but I know many others who despise it. Not everyone enjoys pvp (not that anything in this game is actually pvp). Many people tolerate arena for the crystal income because it's quick. For the people who's primary enjoyment of the game centers around Raid Content and Collecting, GAC is something they currently join and set defense for in order to collect rewards. If they are forced to play the mode in order to get the daily income they already receive, you will likely see an exodus of this style of player as well.

Replies

• Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Only part of the Q&A I disliked

I hope they aren't going to go through with this
  • Options
    Personally I would prefer GAC to replace the Arena as crystal source. Then I don't have to deal with the shard mafia.
  • Options
    Personally I would prefer GAC to replace the Arena as crystal source. Then I don't have to deal with the shard mafia.

But your still playing the game regardless of the "shard mafia". Many people will likely stop playing the game if this change happens and impacts the ease of obtaining the same amount of crystals they get currently.
  • Options
    If that happens I'll quit. Started the game back near launch and I hate GAC.
  • Options
    I’d rather see GAC be the crystal source. Arena is a chore, and I can’t stand how the most important aspect of the game demands to be played on its schedule, not mine.
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    I’d rather see GAC be the crystal source. Arena is a chore, and I can’t stand how the most important aspect of the game demands to be played on its schedule, not mine.

Lol
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

GAC is 10x the chore arena is. More battles more modding more everything.

You can also change your arena payout to be on your schedule.

All that said, I’m not opposed to having GAC give more crystals IN ADDITION to what we already receive from the accountants at EA, but REPLACING arena income is no bueno!!
  • Options
    Besides, what does crystal income matter to a perma banned account? Lol
  • Options
    Player since Nov 2016, and I'm out if they make GAC the new Arena. I sincerely hate GAC and the time and fiddly mod-management they expect us to do to be extremely competitive. Forcing players to out-spend and out min-max each other is not new content, it's passing the burden of 'new challenges' onto your player base.
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yeah that whole shard mafia thing is a hoax

this shows that you aren't good enough to get 1 in arena and it means you will get even less crystals in GAC which will match you up with someone with superior mods and rosters. I've seen tons of shard chats that are welcoming as long as you can get 1 or are willing to share your payout / change your payout

Everyone claiming that GAC being the main source of income is under the illusion they will be undefeated in GAC

Lets not forget you can't use your new toons immediately in GAC

1. Meta teams are in defense so you don't get to play with them
    2. You can't test your teams daily since each round takes place 2-3 days apart
    3. You don't get practice (5 attempts a day vs 1 attempt per round)
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

All that said, I’m not opposed to having GAC give more crystals IN ADDITION to what we already receive from the accountants at EA, but REPLACING arena income is no bueno!!

They aren't going to give out more lol. Actually they are giving a small amount more per month via league promotions. Any daily crystals from GAC will be subtracted from arena equally, or worse. Careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    I just want GAC to have better rewards, fml...
  • Options
    You should tell my round 1 opponent that GAC takes more time. He one-shot my entire defense in less than 15 minutes just before the round ended. I was ****. I was just trying to squeeze battles in throughout the day.
    ācιßösöχ

Join the official Grand Arena Discord Server
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Options
    If only the game allowed us to choose our payout times so that we can play on our schedule :wink:
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    Lysandrax wrote: »
    I just want GAC to have better rewards, fml...
    Anytime they retouch a prize pool of an existing content they end up reducing rewards

I wish I was more optimistic but the data says otherwise
  • Options
    (Coming from a top 100 avg player)

Making GAC the main crystal source would literally make less people invest in a new meta as they can't get it from arena.

Heck 1 week wait until crystals sounds pretty bad.

Although I'd benefit from it B)
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    Yeah that whole shard mafia thing is a hoax

this shows that you aren't good enough to get 1 in arena and it means you will get even less crystals in GAC which will match you up with someone with superior mods and rosters. I've seen tons of shard chats that are welcoming as long as you can get 1 or are willing to share your payout / change your payout

Everyone claiming that GAC being the main source of income is under the illusion they will be undefeated in GAC

Lets not forget you can't use your new toons immediately in GAC

1. Meta teams are in defense so you don't get to play with them
    2. You can't test your teams daily since each round takes place 2-3 days apart
    3. You don't get practice (5 attempts a day vs 1 attempt per round)

I just find the whole concept of a shard chat to be bad. In every other game I play win trading is a bannable offense.
  • TVF
    36628 posts Member
    Options
    Not all shard chats do that. Many simply coordinate times. Without that, only CG benefits.
  • Options
    If only the game allowed us to choose our payout times so that we can play on our schedule :wink:

Maybe for those of you who have a set schedule or can play the game at the same time every single day. Many of use don’t live that way.
  • Options

I disagree. Arena is 5 battles every day. GAC is 5 battles every 2+ days.
  • Options

I disagree. Arena is 5 battles every day. GAC is 5 battles every 2+ days.

Both Arenas in total are 2-4 battles a day for me. GAC requires 8 battles in 24 hours, tweaking mods on 16 squads and investigating your opponent to determine what to place on D and reserve for O. Infinite more time required for GAC.
  • Options

I know right, I can't believe they havent even thought of the idea of adding such a feature. Its just soooooo craaaazzyyyy
  • Options
    Although I strongly dislike the idea of shard chats, I dont see how they could do this without revolt.
  • UnbelieverInME
    451 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    As the game moves further from being a pure collection game to being a pvp semi-mmorpg they'll lose some of the older players who've spent their money already. But they'll gain newer players looking for a place to spend their cash.

In the old days you could just ignore arena. Sure, your crystal income would be very light, but it didn't matter as long as you were happy with how fast you were progressing you could basically ignore other players. Now your progress is becoming tied more and more intimately and directly with how many other players you can beat vs how many can beat you. Used to be you just missed out on crystals and credits if you wanted to ignore other players. Now you'd miss out on crystals, credits, mod slicing components, Zetas, Omegas, the GAC currency....

It's not about collection any more. You're entitled to your opinion as to whether that's a good or bad thing, but it certainly does change who the game is for.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options
    As the game moves further from being a pure collection game to being a pvp semi-mmorpg they'll lose some of the older players who've spent their money already. But they'll gain newer players looking for a place to spend their cash.

In the old days you could just ignore arena. Sure, your crystal income would be very light, but it didn't matter as long as you were happy with how fast you were progressing you could basically ignore other players. Now your progress is becoming tied more and more intimately and directly with how many other players you can beat vs how many can beat you. Used to be you just missed out on crystals and credits if you wanted to ignore other players. Now you'd miss out on crystals, credits, mod slicing components, Zetas, Omegas, the GAC currency....

It's not about collection any more. You're entitled to your opinion as to whether that's a good or bad thing, but it certainly does change who the game is for.

Yeah, as someone who isn't able to have a full G13 DR & Malak squad with god mods in arena it's tough for me to place over 100 which is why this would be nicer.

As I could get good crystals without having to face whales.