Magmatrooper's AOE doesn't crit?

Naecabon
1243 posts Member
I've been testing Magmatrooper the last few days, and he's kind of fun. Hasn't been oh-my-god game breaking or anything, but he's consistent in doing what he's meant to do. His big HP pool at least buys him enough time to get a few hits in, and I find myself using his thermal detonator AOE attack twice a game more often than not, which is pretty powerful.

Over time, though, I began to notice a trend.

His AOE attacks with white damage, which I admit I'm not sure I've ever seen before. I'm assuming, for obvious reasons, that this has something to do with the fact the attack ignores armor, but I'm not sure why that would require a completely unique color scheme for the attack.

What's even MORE interesting is it seems this attack cannot crit.

Now, before you say "maybe you need a larger sample size," understand that I've used him to clear GW in full multiple times, and I've been using him in Squad repeatedly for testing as well, so I've seen him use this skill quite a few times. Regardless, for visual confirmation, I took screenshots to show you. How many matches in a row do you need for proof? 4? 6? 9? Let's go with 9.

jNxjr4L.png

There's 9 matches in a row for you. I assure you, I'd have no reason to doctor this as I'd love to see either a reasonable explanation as to why this attack cannot crit, or have this issue addressed if it is actually an issue.

I guess, if the argument is, "well the attack ignores armor so logically it shouldn't be allowed to crit," I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree, and I'd MUCH RATHER an attack that crits over ignoring armor. Also, disclaimer: before you compare stat sheet numbers to the damage numbers in the image, know that gearing him is an absolute nightmare and he's nowhere close to being done yet - he's not even in Gear IX yet, so don't think he's doing less than he's supposed to. I simply haven't fully committed to using multiple 0/50 cuffs on this guy yet until I understand what I'm working with fully.

If he's not meant to crit, frankly, hate to say it... but this guy is garbage. His AOE is his primary source of purpose as his base attack is kind of stinky. And he's not the biggest threat on the field, so no one is intentionally coming at this guy to make his 60% TM ups from negative effects trigger really all that important. This AOE is who he is, and it currently can't crit, which makes who he is a real disappointment, IMO.

Replies

• Options
    Sid's attacks which ignore armor will also be white. To your point about no crits, the few days I used my 1* I didn't notice any crits.
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    Viperish wrote: »
    Sid's attacks which ignore armor will also be white. To your point about no crits, the few days I used my 1* I didn't notice any crits.

I'd never noticed this, but if true, how is that a benefit? 25% chance on attack to guarantee you do less damage than a crit? This is really a thing with Sid?
  • Options
    Test him out and you will notice he white hits. As far as less damage than crits it is exactly that. I haven't noticed if crit damage could be combined.. I.e. Sid hits someone normally for 2200 then a hit ignores armor and hits 2700. I don't know if the crits could also vary largely since I haven't tested that aspect.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    Naecabon wrote: »

I'd never noticed this, but if true, how is that a benefit? 25% chance on attack to guarantee you do less damage than a crit? This is really a thing with Sid?

Yes, confirmed and I had your very doubts, to the point many times I hoped he wouldn't proc armor bypass..
    Res non verba
  • Options
    Rex's % hit is white as well.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Oobydoob wrote: »

Rex's is a set amount (at least the bonus 20%) so I could see how that can't crit. I wonder why Magnatrooper would be that way.
  • Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    Oobydoob wrote: »

Rex's is a set amount (at least the bonus 20%) so I could see how that can't crit. I wonder why Magnatrooper would be that way.

Was just thinking of the non crit correlation. Wonder if all white damage is classified as non-critable.
  • Options
    Well technically there is no way of knowing if sids white damage can crit or not. A normal crit is yellow, non crit red and armor bypassed damage is white. If an armor bypassed attack crit then it would still be yellow so differentiating it from a regular crit wouldn't be possible.

But the point is if attacks which bypass armor can not actually crit they are worse than a regular attack. Which is telling of how useless defense and resistance is in this game.
  • Options
    On a side note - what level is your magmatrooper and although chromium only would you recommend him?
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • Options
    sid definitely crits though - that's weird about Magma. My Magma is 2* eligible I think from a few chrome drops, but he should shred these RG / dps based teams. The damage + meter yank is deadly and bypassing RG's armor on his defense up move for his allies would be nice.
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert on this stuff but his stats show that he has a 0 for Spec Crit Rating...I am assuming that means his specials cannot crit?
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    Options
    His AOE is Physical Dmg, not Special Dmg
  • Options
    sid definitely crits though - that's weird about Magma. My Magma is 2* eligible I think from a few chrome drops, but he should shred these RG / dps based teams. The damage + meter yank is deadly and bypassing RG's armor on his defense up move for his allies would be nice.

I think the point is Sid's basic has a 25% to ignore armor, so there are 3 possible outcomes when he uses his basic
    1. Red - normal damage
    2. Yellow - crit
    3. White - ignored the armor

It is impossible to know for sure, but if this is true, whenever it is yellow, he critted but did not ignore armor
  • Options
    Plasmaj gets it
  • Options
    As soon as the next update drops you'll be able to test this by giving him advantage.
  • Viperish
    176 posts Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this counts as necroing an old thread but.. 6* magma trooper now for me. Still no crit sighting on AOE. Is this working as intended? I haven't seen any new info about this. It's been nearly a month.
  • Options
    How do you insert images in the post like that's?
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Options

1275mc.jpg
  • Options

Use an image hosting site like tinypic.com or imgur.com
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    I'm sorry if this counts as necroing an old thread but.. 6* magma trooper now for me. Still no crit sighting on AOE. Is this working as intended? I haven't seen any new info about this. It's been nearly a month.

Can't find it now but I recall reading somewhere that armor ignore attacks don't crit. It is working as intended.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762