Carth OR vs. NS, solid counter or just dumb luck?

The scene earlier today in my current GAC round: my opponent had a fully G12, multi-Zeta Nightsisters squad on defense. I rarely bother with attacking such teams in GA because 1) my Imperial Troopers haven't been able to take out NS since the changes to Zombie; and 2) my other teams capable of beating them are always on defense. Or so I thought until today.

On a whim I decided to try with my zCarth Old Republic team, which I'd never tried before vs. NS. I didn't really expect to win. I've attached screenshots of each team.

It turned out to be a relatively easy win. As soon as the first Plague damage hit, Zaalbar taunted, and pretty much stayed that way; Asajj would clear the buffs, but whenever another Plague landed, he'd taunt again. He only took a single turn the entire time, as he got stunned as well, but the health & protection regeneration kept him (and the rest of my team) at full capacity.

Between Carth, Mission, and Ordo, I was able to whittle down the opposition, taking out Daka twice first, then Talzin, after which point the battle was a cakewalk.

My question is, was this a legit, solid counter to the NS, or did I just have absurdly great RNG? I'm going to try it again the next time I come across a comparable NS team in GA or TW.

hos9zuqnek9x.png
Guild Leader of CHAL | Member of the WWL Alliance

Replies

• Options
    Interesting. I wonder if it would have worked as well against Assaj lead.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    How did the changes affect your imp troopers? Mine still slaughter them.

BH work great too, but I'm guessing that's one of the defense teams to which you were referring.
  • Options
    I’m just curious what teams you have on defense.

Revan,sith,BH,NS all can take it down and based on power lvl it shouldn’t require countering mods aren’t top notch on it.
  • Options
    Imps can do it just when you get to the G12+ with Spirit you typically need Range to keep up. Otherwise yeah the healing and AoE counter plague and some revives and if they die via DoT it won't trigger Zombie's auto revives
  • Options
    I don't have Range, Death, or Shore farmed yet, and the other five (zVeers G12, Magma G10, other three all G11) just can't cut it when I've tried.

My standard six GA defenses are JKR Jedi, CLS Rebels, EP Empire/Sith, GK Jedi, Bossk BH, and my own NS.
  • Options
    No one else seems to want to answer , but just tell you to use troopers , which I can’t argue. They can still stop nightsisters. Anyways

I’ve had both success and failure using zeta carth old republic on Them. Here’s how I look at it
    Pros -
    They can get rid of plague due to the carth zeta.
    Mission and zalbar combo can often do significant damage, making it easy to kill the individuals.
    Zalbar can take a lot of hits , and the counters do help kill off the ****.
    Damage over time racks up and once protection is gone on them , it can be pretty hurtful. And not incredible tenacity on the nightsisters makes that slightly easier
    Armour shred the zombie if you can’t clear the taunt. Will make it somewhat easier.

Cons
    Juhani makes the team worse as a counter
    Not much to clear the zombie taunt
    Not an extremely fast team. Sometimes can’t outspeed, and often first moves are important

Conclusion
    They can be somewhat reliable , if that 5th position is changed. Hopefully someone with cleanse , big damage or extra healing. This still won’t be a hard counter like troopers. But if you have this team , and troopers are lacking , this is a decent option.
  • Options
    I don't have Range, Death, or Shore farmed yet, and the other five (zVeers G12, Magma G10, other three all G11) just can't cut it when I've tried.

My standard six GA defenses are JKR Jedi, CLS Rebels, EP Empire/Sith, GK Jedi, Bossk BH, and my own NS.

Fast starck with zeta helps a lot. Shore isn't necessary, but a good insurance just in case things go bad. Death isn't a requirement at all (i use him with thrawn instead). Range is awesome, but also not required.

Try speeding up starck...
  • Dwinkelm
    768 posts Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Yes, a decent Carth team can take out a decent NS team, but it isn’t quite a hard-counter.

A fast NS team can cause issues, especially fast spirit and Daka. Yes, Carth lead can neutralize plague, but Juhani stinks and lack of a cleanse on traditional Carth team means they are liable to Stun-lock from NS teams. The other issue is if you run into the “Nestsisters,” not only can Carth team not take out Nest, but her daze, counter, and taunt ignore will shred OR team to pieces.

For these reasons, I really like running either Rex or Chirrut as a fifth on Carth when going after NS (or on defense). Cleanse, Tenacity Up, TM gains, HoTs, are all things that will negate Plague and Stun/Daze-lock. Utilizing either of these two for defense helps to subsidize popular Carth counters (zEP empire especially).
  • Options
    NS with zNest standing in for acolyte is what I'm seeing the most of these days. I use geos for those. Double zeta brood, mostly g12. It's a little dicey in the beginning with stuns, but i can usually clear the ns in 1:30-2 minutes. Then it's just a matter of getting the timing right to one-shot nest with spy.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    If you check the discord counter bot the carth team is 1 of the most pain in the butt
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone! Got a lot to think about. Lol