Point of Divisioning up?

So, what is the point of Divisioning Up for GAC? the rewards are the same, the fights are harder, and its much much harder to reach kyber (my guildmates who are division 1/2 have to win basically 100% of the fights to reach kyber, me in division 4, can lose 2 or 3, and miss a few full clears and easily reach kyber. and I will get better rewards than them even if they just lose once. even the rank up rewards are the same. (from where I am now, next round just setting my D and clearing 2 territories per match I will get to kyber)
shouldn't 1. rewards be better to motivate players to go up in division, 2. the higher the division the more the feats should be worth in terms of championship score (300 goes way furthur at division 6 then at division 1)
So what is the balance here?

Replies

• Options
    There is no point. I barely got into division 2 this time around and since then I’ve gone against people with several hundred thousand GP ahead of me. Everyone I have faced has had darth revan and malak, most at g13 when I didn’t even have darth revan until a few days ago. Needless to say I have lost every round but one since getting bumped up. This game is a hot steaming mess right now and I have zero faith it will be fixed.
  • Options
    Yeah, unlike many people commenting here, i am pleased with a number of changes they've made in moving to the championship format (where previous rounds-of-8 contribute to an overall higher score).

The identical-rewards-for-different-tiers thing, however, is definitely a problem. My toons are very, very non-optimized. I've long been more a collector than a focussed player, and I'm almost entirely FtP ($20 when I first joined the game 3 years ago, that's it). But as I approach 4.5M, even though I haven't been focussed in my collecting, I now have almost every toon at 7*, and for the past 5-6 months I've been much more choosy about who I gear. So I've been doing quite well in GAC because I have all those optimized squads that at lower GP only the really focussed players and/or whales have. I don't have them as geared as many other people, but just having, say, a Padme squad at all (even if it's mostly g11 w/ 1xg10 and 1xg12) can really mess up people who don't know how to counter it or who had to use Palp elsewhere (which is why I put her in back).

But when I bump up divisions in just 60k more GP, I'm going to be facing people with all those squads as well, but where I've got mine at g11 with a few g12 toons here and there, they'll have all theirs at g12 with a few g13/relic toons here and there. Obviously at 4.4M GP it's not that I don't have g12 toons, it's just that I don't have full, focussed squads of entirely g12 toons. Even my JKR squad uses a g11 Bastila. So my top 80 will include toons that don't fit in any of the best, highest synergy squads, where other people might have all of their top80 toons be Sith Empire or Old Republic or Sep Droids or Padme or whatever.

Now, maybe this is fair because I obviously haven't been playing optimally for PvP, and they might want to penalize that. But if that's true, then where I am right now isn't fair to all my opponents who are only matched with me because they've been more focussed and have 80 good toons and then 90 level 1 toons. They're playing focussed and well, and then they run into me and even without being as focussed I manage to eke out wins because even though my toons are generally NOT pushed all the way into g12+3/6 or better, I just have all the toons, so I can always put the optimal counter-squad in against whatever they've got on defense.

So I don't know which EA/CG thinks is unfair, what's happening now where I'm winning or what happens as soon as I switch divisions, but they can't both be fair.

I think the best way to resolve this problem is to provide better rewards in upper divisions so that the people who face me don't see getting to 3.5M GP as a step back, and I don't have to lose rewards as soon as I get 60k more GP than I have now.

But what do I know? I just play this game.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Not all the rewards are the same.

The promotion rewards from league to league are better, the better your division.

Either way if anything about GAC really needs to be addressed (besides cheating) it's the rewards.
  • Options
    So, what is the point of Divisioning Up for GAC? the rewards are the same, the fights are harder, and its much much harder to reach kyber (my guildmates who are division 1/2 have to win basically 100% of the fights to reach kyber, me in division 4, can lose 2 or 3, and miss a few full clears and easily reach kyber. and I will get better rewards than them even if they just lose once. even the rank up rewards are the same. (from where I am now, next round just setting my D and clearing 2 territories per match I will get to kyber)
    shouldn't 1. rewards be better to motivate players to go up in division, 2. the higher the division the more the feats should be worth in terms of championship score (300 goes way furthur at division 6 then at division 1)
    So what is the balance here?

The biggest change is the QTY of the rewards. I was division 5 and my reward was literally one stun cuff and one other piece of gear that I have a couple hundreds of. With relics out now, with mods 3.0 on the way, expect those to be bumped up shortly. There is going to be a change in the rewards for GAC (be it, items in the shop, upgrades, could be numerous options). To the point, and to your question, the difference is the qty of the rewards for jumping each tier.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Not all the rewards are the same.

The promotion rewards from league to league are better, the better your division.

Either way if anything about GAC really needs to be addressed (besides cheating) it's the rewards.

Yes, but do the better rewards outweigh the increased difficulty to make it to Kyber league?

I think that for as long as I'm making Kyber (and staying competitive in my arenas), I'd prefer to collect the Kyber rewards in a lower division.
  • Options
    So just compared with my guild mate who is in D2. he gets 2 more items separate salvage pieces+2 extra salvage of one of the ones im getting. the 2 extra are ones that most players will have hundreds of (becoming more useful due to scrap but still 2 isnt worth that much), Then he is getting 20 mk6 detonator salvage, (also one that most players who have been playing for some time should have a large stock pile, and then the only valuable imo thing he is getting more is 14 stun guns.

So for 14 stun guns is it worth lowering your chance of getting into kyber significantly. as in 1 loss vs 3 or 4 depending on how feats go. Id understand if it was full pieces for kyber and salvage in the lower tiers. but same crystals. same zeta mats, and not alot of very useful gear differences