People with alts, how do you do it?

I see a lot of people with an alt account, or even multiple, my question is how do people find time to get several accounts to end game? I have been playing since the first year and I’m at <2.5m gp. Are most people with alts p2p?

Replies

• Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    I run a samsung S8+ that has a secure vault which acts as a partition on my phone so I can run both accounts from the phone.
    The time is never an issue as once you've gotten past the first 80 levels everything becomes sim. My main is 3.8M and my alt 1.4M. I can run thru all the dailies on both in about 30 min. Sometimes it takes longer if theres an assault battle, but I'm hopeful those will get a sim eventually.

For me my alt is a side project that I dont worry much about growth. It's just there and I can play it when done with my main.

With any account the only real time suck is guild events; TW, TB, and raids. Other than that Mods are the only real way to spend much extra time playing. Optimizing mods and farming/slicing mods can be a bit of time, but only needs done periodically.

As for P2P/F2P, my main is not a whale, but I do spend money at major meta shifts if I wasnt fully prepared. I think JKR was the most expensive around $300 since I was focusing on smugglers and was blind sided by JKR. DR and Malak I think I spend maybe $150 combined, mostly on gear for Malak since I unlocked him first run. Since that (and farming mods) allowed me to score high in arena I generally don't spend anything (maybe a $5 gear pack once a quarter) between meta shifts. Hoard and plan and try to minimize cost at meta shifts to stay with the meta.

My alt is growing F2P. I might have bought one $7 gear pack with him total, and simply because I had the money in my google survey account. I have JKR team mostly done, I lack GK because I've been leaving the alt in a ticket guild for my cluster so it doesnt do raids often. I believe I should unlock DR this time with the alt but don't have Sith trooper or anything to complete the team.

TLDR: The trick to alts is getting into the routine of dailies, not being arena focused on any except your main, and keeping any alts focused on only farming and gearing the most vital things.

Hope that helped if you plan to try an alt. It can get exhausting at times, but at those times simply stop playing the alt.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have 2 accounts that are both f2p. One started less than a month after launch. The other started about 18 months later.

If by end game you mean to the tip of the spear then that won’t ever happen on my second account. I chug along on it, and get things whenever I get them. You just get used to being clobbered all the time, and waiting an eternity for anything. It does pretty well in GAC though. I got Kyber in division 3. But I never have enough crystals for anything meaningful, and gearing takes forever.

My first account is very much tip of the spear, but it’s stressful, and time consuming to maintain, and the devs keep making it harder to even tread water. The main reason I haven’t quit that one is because of the sunk cost fallacy. Kyrotechs definitely **** the joy out of that account. Pretty much just keep going out of habit, and in the false hope they will loosen up on a few older, more miserable gear pieces now that we have (the evil, dreaded) Kyros and (the not so bad, but way too soon) relics to gate progress.

So yeah, if you start a second account you can enjoy it f2p if you just don’t expect to make “end game” quickly or at all depending on how you define it. Just get stuff as you get it, and plug along slow and steady. You can make some decent progress without a huge daily time investment, but it will take a couple of years of consistency. Otherwise, get your credit card out, and go to town. It still won’t happen overnight.
  • Options
    I tried running an alt account for about 6 months; thought to myself I learned a lot from my first account so the second account should be a breeze (less wasted gear as I figured out who to level and such.) In the end, having a second account was taking the joy out of both accounts for me personally. Achieving things on the second account felt diminished if I already had them on my main, and trying to keep up with both was making my main feel like a chore. I let it go, picked it back up for a month six months later, and ultimately deleted the second account. I'm totally happy for people who can do two or more, and have a valued member of my guild use a second for theorycrafting, which helps us all out. It just wasn't for me.
  • Options
    I have 2 accounts. My main is relatively F2P. Might spend a few every now and again. Will never spend on my alt. I started my alt mainly as just a way to G12 my Jawas, because I knew it could never happen on my main,
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Options
    I don't know, I don't find it that hard... I started playing may '17, and created the alt account that august, because I liked the game but there wasn't much to do; and that is truer everyday. I don't chase the meta, but usually get the Legendaries second time around in both. Every once in a while there is a day or two when TB/TW and GAC and some event happen in the same day when it can be bothersome to get everything done, but that rarely happens. I've only ever spent like 60€ on my main (CLS's second coming), and am 100% F2P in my alt. I try to work on different teams in each account just for the diversity and the fun of it.
  • Options
    Its a grind going up to 85, the alt starts to get boring, but now that I'm at 85 its nice. I have my payout one hour later on my alt which is nice in terms of arena. If you can get in an alliance type guild it is great because they will take low GPs as ticket generators a lot of the time. I have to almost waste (spend it on stuff i shouldnt get) guild currency to run out.
  • Options
    My account was made 3-6 months into the game and I quit for 1.5 years. Currently I am purposefully staying at 2.43 million GP by unmodding. I have 10 squads, modded. Modding all my toons puts me right above the 2.5 mill mark. I pretty much started when you did and quit for half the time.

You are not a consistent player, based upon my gameplay being daily to completion but having quit for 50% of the game's existence. That kind of answers your question. You're not even all-in on your 1st account. You're 50% in.
  • Options
    I have two alts. Once you hit a point, it really is just log in, sim, log out, log in, set defense, log out, log in, attack whatever is there, log out.
    This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Options
    I have two alts. Once you hit a point, it really is just log in, sim, log out, log in, set defense, log out, log in, attack whatever is there, log out.

I enjoy the modding aspect of the game more than any. GAC is a chess game that I enjoy.