How would you fix TW matchmaking?

Daishi
718 posts Member
I know most of us agree that TW matchmaking is a terrible joke. Very rarely, maybe 1/10 TW do we actually get a match that feels even, a close win or loss. Much more often we get destroyed, and very rarely we destroy the other guild.

We sit in the 180-200m range depending on who signs up. What is your guild GP and results with TW?

The main question is how would YOU fix TW matchmaking?

For me it would be a series of checks to narrow down the field to a match.
1: (Currently) Active GP (GP signed up for TW)
once that narrowed the pool it would further narrow by the following:
2: Avg TW wins (Add up all player TW wins and divide by number of active players in TW)
3: Number of players signed up for TW

At this point I feel it would match a bit closer to even. However if matchups are still being a blowout more often then not, then add in top % GP like they do for GAC. Since the avg is 8 teams and 2 fleets to set defense and clear their defense it would match based on top 40 characters and top 16 ships.

How would YOU fix it? Because most know it's broken.

Replies

• Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Also how could that MM be abused?

1: Guilds add multiple level 1 alts that lowers their avg TW wins and GP avg while keeping player count high so they can match vs a guild with much weaker avg players.

How to prevent that?
    You toss out anyone from the calculation that is high outside the guild avg in GP and TW wins.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I dont think using any history of TW is fair to a guild, players leave, guilds reorganize, and other factors that would change the history and not represent the current picture.

I think they should just stick to factors that are present in that matchup.

My $0.02.
  • LordInuy
    212 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    ok think another solution, now is very bad matchmaking.
    you can consider avg gp after sign up, so 1 guild that play with only 44/46 player go with a simir guild
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Options
    That is absolutely the solution.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    I dont think using any history of TW is fair to a guild, players leave, guilds reorganize, and other factors that would change the history and not represent the current picture.

My $0.02.

@Kyno

That's why it wouldn't be the history of the guild itself but the avg history of the players in the guild. Because yes, guilds change but generally a guild full of players with high TW win counts will still be strong in TW, meanwhile low TW win counts will suffer vs players with higher win counts.

With it running off player avg and dismissing outliers it means a player with a high win count joining a guild with a low win count will be dismissed from calculations until the avg wins for the rest get within a set %. Same with a low win count joining a group with a high win rate.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Daishi wrote: »

My $0.02.

Kyno

That's why it wouldn't be the history of the guild itself but the avg history of the players in the guild. Because yes, guilds change but generally a guild full of players with high TW win counts will still be strong in TW, meanwhile low TW win counts will suffer vs players with higher win counts.

With it running off player avg and dismissing outliers it means a player with a high win count joining a guild with a low win count will be dismissed from calculations until the avg wins for the rest get within a set %. Same with a low win count joining a group with a high win rate.

I think that last part is important, but that will need to be tight enough to not make a new recruit a liability. which in a way will negate it, or at least open up loopholes.

if you have 10 high win players join your guild, you are "immune" to that effect, but for how long? since all the wins are added to all players, there are many cases where the average will not gain on a high score fast enough to ever take that score into play.

or

it does take into account high scores which could then raise the average high enough to then push out lower scores which raises the average higher. this would make taking on a high win player a liability for a lower guild.

sorry, not trying to be negative, i just see the average as opening up more issues (or exploits) than it is solving.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Options
    How do you know most people agree? Some do definitely, but that's all I see.
  • Options
    Seems like the simplest solution would be to match based on both total GP and active GP. In a 210M GP guild that doesn't force you to participate? Cool. You'll match against a guild with the same philosophy, or a guild that is actively sandbagging, or maybe just a guild with some people on vacation/away from game. Match wouldn't be any more/less fair than it should be.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    hot take leef: matchmaking is only bad for guilds that lose a lot.
    This could be because it's actually bad, or alternatively because those guilds are bad at TW.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Match on active GP, like they currently do, but adjust GP of individual toons so that GP actually reflects a unit’s strength. GP as a representation of investment being used to equate two guilds will give 2 guilds that have invested equally. It will not give 2 guilds that have equal strength. If strength is not even then the match will not be even.

There’s no need for a convoluted system to match guilds in order to get around the inherent flaw of using GP. Just change how GP is calculated so that it reflects how strong a guild really is.
  • Options
    They could also look at the average GP per player. But also, there's something outside of matchmaking that I think should be done....the number of battles per zone (which needs to increase anyway due to the number of viable teams overall increasing) should be based on the number of participating guild members which is higher between the two guilds. Theoretically, a guild with better average GP but less participating members should be at a disadvantage since they should have less teams to use. However, because the number of battles per zone is based upon the guild with the lower number of participating members, there's no real disadvantage for the guilds with better rosters but less players participating. If you based it on the guild with more people participating, at least the other guild might have better rosters per player but they'd have to spread those rosters out more across the zones which would help balance things out a little.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    They could also look at the average GP per player. But also, there's something outside of matchmaking that I think should be done....the number of battles per zone (which needs to increase anyway due to the number of viable teams overall increasing) should be based on the number of participating guild members which is higher between the two guilds. Theoretically, a guild with better average GP but less participating members should be at a disadvantage since they should have less teams to use. However, because the number of battles per zone is based upon the guild with the lower number of participating members, there's no real disadvantage for the guilds with better rosters but less players participating. If you based it on the guild with more people participating, at least the other guild might have better rosters per player but they'd have to spread those rosters out more across the zones which would help balance things out a little.

This shows where you are in game play. I think there needs to be a new bracket for 220M+ guilds that might increase teams needed per active player. But for most 160M and below it's already difficult to put 4 meaningful teams on defense and still have 4 effective teams for offense, and 2 fleets.

If we look at GAC as an example, the players with strong rosters move up in promotion and are matched with others who have won enough to promote. Leading to fairer matches as the month progresses. I think GAC was the closest most difficult matches by halfway thru the month last GAC compared to any fights before. If they would apply a similar style of matchmaking to TW you wouldnt have guilds that ALWAYS lose, as eventually they would be matched with similar performing guilds and have closer fights.
  • Options
    Pretty sure they already take into account the strongest squad(s) in each guid in addition to the active GP of that guild.

I don't know how I would fix TW matchmaking, if only because I haven't really had a problem with it in awhile. The latest flavor of "TW matchmaking is broken, fix it" seems like it's mostly affecting the uppermost tier of guilds (which also seems to be where most of the complaints about sandbagging originate; still not convinced that deliberate sandbagging is a thing btw), which my bunch just doesn't fit in (we're ~125mil at 49/50). If we get outmatched--and on a surface level, we do, regularly; the first TW of this cycle we were matched with a guild with 30+ mil on us and still wiped the floor with them (they didn't even crack our first territory!)--there's a solid chance that we'll win anyway; it really suggests to me, at least, that the primary problem here is guild strategy (just because I'm not seeing what everyone else is apparently seeing). It's gotten to the point where we prefer to fight these much stronger guilds because those around our own surface-level strength just aren't fun (like the second TW of this cycle, against a 136mil guild who sent in 42 against our 45; we won pretty decisively and were laughing at the way they set their defense the entire time).

The last time I really had a problem with TW was a long time ago probably around the time when we recruited our first 4 mil player--at the time I think they had double our average GP and approximately a mil on our next strongest player--and we had a bunch of losses in a row (hence why I'm pretty sure matchmaking accounts for the strongest squad(s?) in each guild) until we tweaked our strategy and closed the power gap some. Considering averages--be it in GP, win/loss ratio, or average squad strength--and dismissing major outliers, largely as OP suggests, might help deal with guilds who are having problems because of something along those lines.

I'll leave the [WikiHow Guide to Establishing Statistical Outliers] here for those of us that aren't staticians.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Match on active GP, like they currently do, but adjust GP of individual toons so that GP actually reflects a unit’s strength. GP as a representation of investment being used to equate two guilds will give 2 guilds that have invested equally. It will not give 2 guilds that have equal strength. If strength is not even then the match will not be even.

There’s no need for a convoluted system to match guilds in order to get around the inherent flaw of using GP. Just change how GP is calculated so that it reflects how strong a guild really is.

Unfortunately that is an escalating scale, because each new wave of toons and reworks will need to be a higher value and this will keep increasing, which means it again becomes a value that doesnt represent strength, just a weighted value determined by the dev team.

The system needs to be sustainable and little to no input from the dev team.
  • Options

Unfortunately that is an escalating scale, because each new wave of toons and reworks will need to be a higher value and this will keep increasing, which means it again becomes a value that doesnt represent strength, just a weighted value determined by the dev team.

Do you mean a system that would account for the power creep in the game?

I agree with the comment about the system needing to have minimal input from devs, but power creep is what has made the current GP system inadequate for matching.

A middle ground, however, would be adjusting GP from gear to be much more significant as gear levels get higher. It wouldn’t account for a max CLS team having nearly the same GP as a max DR/Malak team, but it would keep the heaving weighting away from 7* and move more towards gear.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Do you mean a system that would account for the power creep in the game?

I agree with the comment about the system needing to have minimal input from devs, but power creep is what has made the current GP system inadequate for matching.

A middle ground, however, would be adjusting GP from gear to be much more significant as gear levels get higher. It wouldn’t account for a max CLS team having nearly the same GP as a max DR/Malak team, but it would keep the heaving weighting away from 7* and move more towards gear.

i agree that G12 pieces and up should all have more effect on GP
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Seems like the simplest solution would be to match based on both total GP and active GP.

Why should players, who don'participate, have any influence whatsoever on the matchmaking? Their roster strength and skills have no influence on the outcome of the TW, so why should they have any influence on matchmaking?

• Options
    Easy fix to remove sandbagging:
    - Match guilds similar GM AND similar amount of players AND similar TOP XX-XX chars (depending on their roster size)
    - Arena avg remove last 5 persons in the square

Done
  • Options
    Why not an extra phase after player Join before setting Defense;

Each Joined member must assign 4 squads and 1 fleet designated Offense, then assign 4 squads and 1 fleet designated Defense. (based on 50 player join)

MM now has this info to create a similar matchup taking into account squads used, avg. squad / fleet GP, abilities, zetas, and mod GP of the locked players.

Adds more coin flip, strategy, randomness, will they put NS on D, Padme for D, keep DR/Malak wall or keep for offense? Who knows? It would mirror GA effectively.
  • Options
    The only time I have a problem with matchmaking is when we lose