What paywalls?

2Next

Replies

• Options
    WWWarrick wrote: »
    I think a key part of this conversation that is being overlooked is you saying that you were getting first in both arenas. That’s 900 crystals a day which is almost 330,000 crystals a year. If you convert that to an equivalent value of $20 crystal packs, it’s worth almost $2400 a year. So yes, it’s f2p, but in many ways, it’s not. There’s only 24 people in each shard that can do that.

Many f2p players I know earn about 200-300 crystals a day from arenas. That’s about a $1550 to $1800 difference in crystals. 200-300 crystals a day f2p probably won’t get GAS.

Speaking for myself, I earn about 500 crystals a day from the arenas. If I hadn’t finished Rose, worked on DR/Malak, and worked on geos in the last 6 months, I could have met the requirements for this event. But that would be giving up a lot over a long period of time (I won’t argue Rose but the others are legitimate).

Not trying to beat up your argument too much, but there’s been a lot of GAS is definitely f2p threads popping up here. They’re not really kept in context though. Yes, it’s f2p, but it’s because you can bypass spending through arena crystals...it’s not just a farm smarter issue.

It’s not like I didn’t lay out all the requirements to pull it off as F2P...for some context. It wasn’t a farm smarter post by any means. It was meant to be - for anyone wondering how an f2p can keep getting legendaries and epics first drop: this is what it takes.

1/1 or close in arena, great guild with good TB rewards, lots of top3’s in str, and discipline in not wasting crystals. The pace of that type of player, in my experience, seems to be where the events are metered at.

Also was saying you definitely don’t have to pay to become that player. You just have to be a nut job addict who has 10 alarms set each day for various payouts and refreshes, and like 3 hours a day to play out all the raids and events.

Hmm, in hindsight and terms of the opportunity cost of my time, it appears I’ve paid dearly haha.

The point I made is that they upped the game a bit on this one.

I am that player you described. I get 1st in both arenas. Our guild is getting around 25 stars in geo. I get 1st in hstr most times and if not second or 3rd.

I spend crystals only on things that will noticeably improve my performance in an area of the game.

Sure I could have saved more crystals or gear but when relics and g13 come out you almost have to relic your arena team or fall behind. Same goes for key toons you use in hstr. If you don't relic them, you fall out if the top 3.

I also geared geos first (which is the logical choice). Other than that I saved crystals and or spent them on energy refreshes for farming. I had two vaults saved when the event was announced. It wasn't enough

I'm sure there are a few ftp that made it but it is probably really rare. You needed to do all the things you said and have a little luck as well. Granted I started in Nov 2016 so players that played longer than that and had geoes already geared probably had a better chance.

And I'm not blaming cg for me not making it. I'll survive. The only part tgat is somewhat irritating is that they released the "minimums" of the event and waited until the event dropped to release the "recommended" requirements.

Now I know that you need more than the minimum most times but usually not that much more. I looked at my inventory and decided, I had enough resources to make it based on what they announced. Had I known that the requirements were actually much higher, I would have probably just passed altogether and kept building my stash for the next one while gearing the toons for gas the second time more efficiently.

I really feel for the people that were within a few hundred dollars of being ready, bought a couple of vaults, only to later have cg say. Too bad it'll actually cost another $500 to have a realistic chance of beating it. That is just deceptive. They should have posted the recommended requirements along with the minimum so that people could decide whether it was achievable on their budget.
  • Shenanigans052
    1681 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    I think a key part of this conversation that is being overlooked is you saying that you were getting first in both arenas. That’s 900 crystals a day which is almost 330,000 crystals a year. If you convert that to an equivalent value of $20 crystal packs, it’s worth almost $2400 a year. So yes, it’s f2p, but in many ways, it’s not. There’s only 24 people in each shard that can do that.

Many f2p players I know earn about 200-300 crystals a day from arenas. That’s about a $1550 to $1800 difference in crystals. 200-300 crystals a day f2p probably won’t get GAS.

Speaking for myself, I earn about 500 crystals a day from the arenas. If I hadn’t finished Rose, worked on DR/Malak, and worked on geos in the last 6 months, I could have met the requirements for this event. But that would be giving up a lot over a long period of time (I won’t argue Rose but the others are legitimate).

Not trying to beat up your argument too much, but there’s been a lot of GAS is definitely f2p threads popping up here. They’re not really kept in context though. Yes, it’s f2p, but it’s because you can bypass spending through arena crystals...it’s not just a farm smarter issue.

This is basically the forum on event weeks in a nutshell. Players who can do it f2p keep yelling the event is f2p, players who can't keep yelling money grab and p2w.
    Both groups of players are right, but also wrong at the same time. I can tell you one thing though, it's much more fun to be able to yell an event is f2p.

Eh, I think if you're talking 1k out of the millions of players are able to do it f2p it's still not really free to play. I'd be interested to see the amount of "f2p" people that were able to attempt t4. The requirements I didnt think were terrible availability wise but it does require a heck of a lot.
  • Options
    There is also an element of luck. In this case you had almost everything for this event (like i did)... But no one i heard/watched/ read had picked the characters required for this event aside from shaak ti.

Fall short on one character or ship and you likely would have been screwed.
  • Options
    CosmicJ wrote: »
    There is also an element of luck. In this case you had almost everything for this event (like i did)... But no one i heard/watched/ read had picked the characters required for this event aside from shaak ti.

Fall short on one character or ship and you likely would have been screwed.

Very true most were predicting useless jedi.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

This is basically the forum on event weeks in a nutshell. Players who can do it f2p keep yelling the event is f2p, players who can't keep yelling money grab and p2w.
    Both groups of players are right, but also wrong at the same time. I can tell you one thing though, it's much more fun to be able to yell an event is f2p.

Eh, I think if you're talking 1k out of the millions of players are able to do it f2p it's still not really free to play

Eh, i think you missed the point entirely. Let me try again with a different example:
    Only 1 person ever was able to run a marathon under 2 hours, does that mean it's possible to run a marathon under 2 hours, or does that mean it's not really possible to run a marathon under 2 hours?
    It's obviously possible since that 1 guy did it, so everyone who says it's possible is right and everyone who says it's impossible is wrong.
    However, it's also obvious that for the overwhelming majority of people on this earth it's not possible to run a marathon under 2 hours, not even if they trained just as hard as the guy who did. So everyone saying it's not really possible is also right if you take that into consideration.
    To me it's so glaringly obvious that this is going on in these discussions about an event being f2p/p2p, but people get caught up in it regardless. To me it's hilarious, even your comment because you felt the need to put the emphasis on "still not really free to play". Good chance i would have said the same thing if i didn't unlock GAS though, so i'm kinda laughing at my own expense as well.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    WWWarrick wrote: »

It’s not like I didn’t lay out all the requirements to pull it off as F2P...for some context. It wasn’t a farm smarter post by any means. It was meant to be - for anyone wondering how an f2p can keep getting legendaries and epics first drop: this is what it takes.

1/1 or close in arena, great guild with good TB rewards, lots of top3’s in str, and discipline in not wasting crystals. The pace of that type of player, in my experience, seems to be where the events are metered at.

Also was saying you definitely don’t have to pay to become that player. You just have to be a nut job addict who has 10 alarms set each day for various payouts and refreshes, and like 3 hours a day to play out all the raids and events.

Hmm, in hindsight and terms of the opportunity cost of my time, it appears I’ve paid dearly haha.

I thought your post was well written especially compared to the other GAS is f2p posts. I was glad you actually mentioned your arena placements since that is probably the biggest factor in getting him.

That being said, it kind of felt like you glossed over that fact when 900 crystals a day is a major factor. The discussion that followed, though, seemed to completely ignore it.

And while I agree with your overall point (focus on arenas for crystal income), CG has kind of made that impossible. It looks like GAS will become the meta once people start getting him some relics, so if you didn’t get him, you won’t be able to hit top 10 in arena. Really, f2p people are better off trying to guess 2-3 metas ahead and start working on that now.
  • Options
    I qualified for the event, I had the mods, I had the crystal income, and didn't get him, because the minimum (17,700 GP) wasn't enough, and there was a second level of secret requirements (G13) that nobody knew until the event started (or the day before when the info was datamined), so this "focus farming" isn't even the issue here.
  • Ultra
    11505 posts Moderator
    Options
    Geshtianna wrote: »
    I qualified for the event, I had the mods, I had the crystal income, and didn't get him, because the minimum (17,700 GP) wasn't enough, and there was a second level of secret requirements (G13) that nobody knew until the event started (or the day before when the info was datamined), so this "focus farming" isn't even the issue here.
    There was only one set of requirements (17,700 GP) to participate

The second set was a recommendation to save time and frustration. A lot of people were able to clear with one or two g13 toons

Requirements and recommendation aren’t the same thing
  • Options
    What the OP doesn't realize is that there is a bit of luck to all of this. I didn't start on launch date, but pretty close to it. I'm on shards of a bunch of whales. I have managed to crack top 20 in arena on rare occasions. Mainly I am somewhere in the range of 50-30. I am strictly ftp. I don't see the point in spending money on something that could be gone tomorrow. You say that way too many time with these type of games. Fleet arena has been worse. It seems like I have no chance of cracking top 50 unless I use refreshes for the past month or so. I used to be top 50, but there are times that I drop below 100 now.

Not everyone can get #1 in both arenas, so stating that 900 crystals a day is the norm is just silly. I have no clue what my shard chat is since I never gotten to a point to be consistently on their radar to get an invite. Most legendary style toons are strictly relegated for the second time through for me. I think I may have 7*'ed C-3PO the first time through. Before that, it was probably CLS that I got the first time through. With GAS, I couldn't even play it because of too many things to farm with the same energy. 189 left on Shaak and 172 on Anakin's ship. That is with one refresh a day on each.Yes, I fell for that you will need all five Sith ships rumor, so that is why Anakin never got finished. Every time I was getting back to farming him, they drop something else in ship energy. Like everyone, I need about a billion stun guns to make a dent in gear levels. Kyrotechs are need for gearing Shaak and Padme as well as g13 and the drop rates are horrible. The only way I can catch up is to either spend cash or hope a ton of people on my shard stop playing.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »

The second set was a recommendation to save time and frustration. A lot of people were able to clear with one or two g13 toons

That's the thing, it's 1 or 2 in T2, 1 or 2 in T4, but not possible with the strict minimum of none (17,700 is "only" G12), nobody has done it, it's impossible no matter how much time you spent.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

That's the thing, it's 1 or 2 in T2, 1 or 2 in T4, but not possible with the strict minimum of none (17,700 is "only" G12), nobody has done it, it's impossible no matter how much time you spent.

If they made that the requirement you would have to have all 10 characters there. We were only able to get away with 1 or 2 per tier because it *wasn't* a requirement.
  • Options
    EdSolo wrote: »
    What the OP doesn't realize is that there is a bit of luck to all of this. I didn't start on launch date, but pretty close to it. I'm on shards of a bunch of whales. I have managed to crack top 20 in arena on rare occasions. Mainly I am somewhere in the range of 50-30. I am strictly ftp. I don't see the point in spending money on something that could be gone tomorrow. You say that way too many time with these type of games. Fleet arena has been worse. It seems like I have no chance of cracking top 50 unless I use refreshes for the past month or so. I used to be top 50, but there are times that I drop below 100 now.

Not everyone can get #1 in both arenas, so stating that 900 crystals a day is the norm is just silly. I have no clue what my shard chat is since I never gotten to a point to be consistently on their radar to get an invite. Most legendary style toons are strictly relegated for the second time through for me. I think I may have 7*'ed C-3PO the first time through. Before that, it was probably CLS that I got the first time through. With GAS, I couldn't even play it because of too many things to farm with the same energy. 189 left on Shaak and 172 on Anakin's ship. That is with one refresh a day on each.Yes, I fell for that you will need all five Sith ships rumor, so that is why Anakin never got finished. Every time I was getting back to farming him, they drop something else in ship energy. Like everyone, I need about a billion stun guns to make a dent in gear levels. Kyrotechs are need for gearing Shaak and Padme as well as g13 and the drop rates are horrible. The only way I can catch up is to either spend cash or hope a ton of people on my shard stop playing.

The point of the original post wasn’t to say it’s easy to get him for free. Just because I said I did those things doesn’t mean I think they are/were easy to do or that everyone should be able to do it - only that they are 100% possible. The entire post described just how difficult it was to get him for free. It’s a benchmark.

• Options
    Liath wrote: »

If they made that the requirement you would have to have all 10 characters there. We were only able to get away with 1 or 2 per tier because it *wasn't* a requirement.

If it's impossible to get it without 1 or 2, then that 1 or 2 is the requirement, and not optional. The goal of the event is to unlock the character, not to attempt the event.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

If it's impossible to get it without 1 or 2, then that 1 or 2 is the requirement, and not optional. The goal of the event is to unlock the character, not to attempt the event.

What's your point though?
    Sure, it sucks if you meet the necessary requirements to participate in the event, but you can't unlock the character. But what's the alternative? Not being able to participate at all? Leaving it to the devs to determine the absolute minimum necessary for the unlock seems like something that will result in higher requirements than are actually necessary.
    I mean, here you are saying having 1 or 2 g13 per tier was required for the unlock and wasn't optional, but there are players who've managed to unlock GAS with only 1 g13 total. I assume you see where i'm going with this..
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

You have a lot of choices though. People did it with different combinations of g13s, it's not the case that any one character was mandatory to have at R5 or something. Any individual character/relic level WAS optional. You could choose based on what you had available and what use you had for the characters whether to put a couple of characters to R3 or one to R7, whether you went with Asajj or Droideka, or whatever.

Minimum power levels are a new thing, and the goal of them is NOT to tell you that you will be able to complete the event at the bare minimum. CG has no obligation to tell you exactly what is required for you to complete the event - that's for you to find out through playing it, and it's going to be different for each person. They do offer a recommendation, but it's up to each individual to try and figure out how much below that recommendation he can get away with, depending on how much RNG he feels like putting up with. Or you can outgear the recommendation and make it a lot easier. In other events they don't even have a minimum, except 7*. Did you think that meant you would be able to complete the event with all the characters at level 1?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

Being one of those "f2p can do it" folks, I still agree with everything you said. Such f2p rosters are carrying the bulk sum of years of arena crystals which makes things much easier and fast to steer.

For quite a bit of time new f2p were emerging but I'm not so sure pushing to the top is viable anymore for f2p that never got there and in new servers.
  • Options

You have a lot of choices though. People did it with different combinations of g13s, it's not the case that any one character was mandatory to have at R5 or something. Any individual character/relic level WAS optional. You could choose based on what you had available and what use you had for the characters whether to put a couple of characters to R3 or one to R7, whether you went with Asajj or Droideka, or whatever.

Minimum power levels are a new thing, and the goal of them is NOT to tell you that you will be able to complete the event at the bare minimum. CG has no obligation to tell you exactly what is required for you to complete the event - that's for you to find out through playing it, and it's going to be different for each person. They do offer a recommendation, but it's up to each individual to try and figure out how much below that recommendation he can get away with, depending on how much RNG he feels like putting up with. Or you can outgear the recommendation and make it a lot easier. In other events they don't even have a minimum, except 7*. Did you think that meant you would be able to complete the event with all the characters at level 1?

What else is the minimum GP for, what is its purpose, because of cheating? People can still cheat with their G11 minimums. Every event where 7 stars were the only requirement have been possible with some level 1s, including both Revan events. Chewbacca and Padme events were possible with 1 dead character before the first turn. Malak was possible with every character barely over 17,500 GP. And no, a roster with Droideka being the only G13 will not clear the event.
  • Options
    And how many events have been doable at the strict minimum? Ain't like folks were doing Palpatine at full 7* L1/G1.

Taking some toons higher to some degree or another has always been part of the equation.
    Still not a he.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

What else is the minimum GP for, what is its purpose, because of cheating? People can still cheat with their G11 minimums. Every event where 7 stars were the only requirement have been possible with some level 1s, including both Revan events. Chewbacca and Padme events were possible with 1 dead character before the first turn. Malak was possible with every character barely over 17,500 GP. And no, a roster with Droideka being the only G13 will not clear the event.

In addition to requiring cheaters to have a significant level of investment before cheating, the minimum also prevents precisely what you said has been done every event - completing it with some level 1s. It requires people to actually build up all of the characters that are required for the event, beyond just starring them. That is its purpose.

This event was possible with some of the characters barely over the minimum GP, just not all of them. Exactly the same as you're saying for Chewie - you could maybe beat it with 1 character at 7* level 1, but you certainly couldn't do it with all 5 of them at level 1. And I only ever saw one person whine that there should have been a GP minimum to even enter the Chewie event. Everybody else seemed to recognize that CG wasn't telling you what you needed to beat it by saying 7* BH, just what you needed to enter, and figuring out how to beat it was up to you.

The minimum is what you have to get every single character you use to. Raising the minimum to a level at which the event could be completed would therefore be bad for every person who completed the event with at least ONE character just above that minimum. Which I'm willing to bet is quite a lot of them.