I prefer 5* epic unlocks to free marquee toons

Replies

• Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    Marquees are free to 3* and another $50-100 to 5*.
    Epics are ~$300-500 to 5*.

That's weird, I spent $30 on Malak and zero on GAS. Apparently I'm doing something wrong.

You're not spending a ton of money and playing smartly.
  • Options

That's weird, I spent $30 on Malak and zero on GAS. Apparently I'm doing something wrong.

TVF we both know that's the exception versus the rule. C'mon man.

So the rule is $300-$500 for an Epic. I'd ask for data but I'm sure it's a wasted exercise.

Definitely wasted because even CG won’t have a clean set of data. Too many factors involved (e.g. who did u gear with the $$$, zetas involved, balance crystals from the $$$, balance gear from the $$$, etc etc)
  • Options
    C'mon guys. You should not reply to TVF 😅
    His only purpose is always to reply things like that. CG is great, everything is easy, no money involves, perfectly balanced, and so on and so on ^^

Just a little troll, nothing to see here xD
  • Options
    CLS wrote: »
    You would rather have a 5* WORTHLESS unlock that requires to drop crystals and money? I learned my lesson with GAS. I’ll never drop another dollar or one single piece of crystal for an event like this.

He is only worthless if you don't use him. i have heard enough stories of him winning in GAC at 5* to know he isn't useless, just not a op meta-defining I win button
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Options

Well aint u special..Give this troll a cookie...If u can pull ur head out of cg’s bum long enough u should stand up n take a bow.
  • Options
    You would rather have a 5* WORTHLESS unlock that requires to drop crystals and money? I learned my lesson with GAS. I’ll never drop another dollar or one single piece of crystal for an event like this.

He is only worthless if you don't use him. i have heard enough stories of him winning in GAC at 5* to know he isn't useless, just not a op meta-defining I win button

There is definitely a difference between stories and seeing it. I’m in a top 50 guild with other guilds in our discord and not one single person has said anything good about a 5* gas. Keep in mind we average a 5mill GP per player. Lots of krackens and whales and not one person has used him at 5*. He is no where need as useful as a 5* Malak.

Well yes, the power level of high end characters have dramatically shifted since Malak came out (relics). Anyone who thought he would be an instant win character clearly missed the relic update and its impact on the game. But that is beside the point, if you actually try team comps and strategy you can get use out of a 5* GAS. (also, your evidence was stories from discord, same as mine)
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Options
    At least you know there's a goal to working towards and after that you have chance to doing well in the arena.

As a scoundrel player, I gave up arena long time ago.
  • TVF
    36638 posts Member
    Options

There is definitely a difference between stories and seeing it. I’m in a top 50 guild with other guilds in our discord and not one single person has said anything good about a 5* gas. Keep in mind we average a 5mill GP per player. Lots of krackens and whales and not one person has used him at 5*. He is no where need as useful as a 5* Malak.

Well yes, the power level of high end characters have dramatically shifted since Malak came out (relics). Anyone who thought he would be an instant win character clearly missed the relic update and its impact on the game. But that is beside the point, if you actually try team comps and strategy you can get use out of a 5* GAS. (also, your evidence was stories from discord, same as mine)

I actually have him and have experienced nothing but failures against top tier teams. Along with everyone in my guild. This is from my experience and not some stories I’ve heard. If you go look up top tier guilds you will NOT find one players using a 5* gas. He is completely useless.

Yep, completely useless.

https://swgoh.gg/p/254994716/

https://swgoh.gg/p/682841274/

There's also a 7* on my shard but I've heard 7* is mostly useless rather than completely useless so not part of the discussion.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    A lot of people got GAS without spending. You have to be pretty endgame level to do that though, and able to jump on new farms as soon as they drop.
  • Options

I actually have him and have experienced nothing but failures against top tier teams. Along with everyone in my guild. This is from my experience and not some stories I’ve heard. If you go look up top tier guilds you will NOT find one players using a 5* gas. He is completely useless.

False. See this post

Yep, completely useless.

https://swgoh.gg/p/254994716/

https://swgoh.gg/p/682841274/

There's also a 7* on my shard but I've heard 7* is mostly useless rather than completely useless so not part of the discussion.

Also, since i keep hearing that MAW and Team Instinct are the top 2 guilds in the game, I figured those would be a good place to start searching. Fun Fact, 7 members of those two guilds have used a 5* Skywalker to place top 5 in Arena multiple times this month.

So, in this case facts and data trump your "experience".
  • Options
    I've got MAW peeps in my squad arena. They aren't running GAS.
  • TVF
    36638 posts Member
    Options
    I've got MAW peeps in my squad arena. They aren't running GAS.

Relevance?
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Marquee events are great. Flooding us with them when they’re all destined for single hard nodes is suboptimal. However, I’d still prefer having my huevos slammed in a car door to working that hard for a 5* unlock on an epic disappointment event.
    I like the whole hard nodes thing to be completely honest

How hip of you. Get a flannel and an ironic beard while you are at it

Define “ironic beard.”
  • Options
    TheRHOMBUS wrote: »
    He is completely useless.

I used mine to murder Ewoks and it felt good. Bring on the Younglings!!

Hehehe. Okay, that was a little funny :)
  • Options
    Id rather a nice mixture and balance of all of the types of releases
  • Balthasar666
    254 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

So you didnt buy a Single galactic Upgrade kit so far?
    I mean Not that it wouldnt be impossible
    But people talking about spending zero for an event often dont take into account anything they spent in unknown preparation for the event

Shaak ti marquee pack would be an example you realistically have to count into GAS investment

Of course people can argue that they bought the pack for shaak ti and not that unknown upcoming event but in the end it is an investment for the event

So gear packs, galactic upgrade kits marquee packs, relic packs and stuff like that ease the panic farm
    If you buy the relic packs and upgrade kenobi and b1 to g13 2 months before GAS you basically spent money on GAS

Again: not arguing that anything might or might not be possible
    Just asking if this is taken into consideration aswell
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options

But people talking about spending zero for an event often dont take into account anything they spent in unknown preparation for the event

Shaak ti marquee pack would be an example you realistically have to count into GAS investment

Of course people can argue that they bought the pack for shaak ti and not that unknown upcoming event but in the end it is an investment for the event

So gear packs, galactic upgrade kits marquee packs, relic packs and stuff like that ease the panic farm
    If you buy the relic packs and upgrade kenobi and b1 to g13 2 months before GAS you basically spent money on GAS

I bought my phone.

So it looks like I spent $799 in 2018 on GAS.
  • Options
    SemiGod wrote: »

I bought my phone.

Hope for you that it wasnt an iPhone

I am talking about money investments within the game
    Not a single player got GAS for free if you try to argue about resources outside the game
    We all invested at least time we never get back
  • Options

I bought my phone.

And of course you can keep living in the illusion that people spent 0 on gas if they didn't purchase anything within the timeframe of the announcement an the end of the event
    Sadly it's completely wrong
    Even those 30 bucks on malak enabled the hoarding for gas because of average better arena rankings or less needed refreshes to get to 1 daily

So the only people that can say they didn't spent on gas are the guys that didn't spent at all in this game

Everything else is just wrong and it is not even funny anymore reading troll posts from people how they try to lecture others about how easy hoarding is without spending when they did spent money in advance

Buying 3 vaults in June and talking about only spending saved crystals in October is just delusional
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I bought my phone.

And of course you can keep living in the illusion that people spent 0 on gas if they didn't purchase anything within the timeframe of the announcement an the end of the event
    Even those 30 bucks on malak enabled the hoarding for gas because of average better arena rankings or less needed refreshes to get to 1 daily

So the only people that can say they didn't spent on gas are the guys that didn't spent at all in this game

Everything else is just wrong and it is not even funny anymore reading troll posts from people how they try to lecture others about how easy hoarding is without spending when they did spent money in advance

Buying 3 vaults in June and talking about only spending saved crystals in October is just delusional

So are those people saying GAS cost $700 as though it's a universal rule talking about the amount of money spent on the game in the entire time of playing, or are they talking about money spent on characters needed for the event after it was announced?
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

I bought my phone.

So are those people saying GAS cost $700 as though it's a universal rule talking about the amount of money spent on the game in the entire time of playing, or are they talking about money spent on characters needed for the event after it was announced?

depends because people count their spending differently
    most just "forget" what they invested to get the characters to a point where they meet the requirements prior to the announcement

example: spending money to gear your grievous and padme team
    > event gets announced > "lucky me i was planning ahead and geared padme already i just had to gear up ventress, didnt cost me any money > i got GAS for free"

other people are like mobile gamer who doesnt care at all about hoarding or planning ahead
    gearing some imperial troopers on the way left, getting daka to g13 in the way right and have little to no stash in the bank when events get announced

if you have to straight up buy everything to g13 4-6 toons in 4 days its a heavy investment, because panic buying always exceeds the costs of at least trying to have something in the bank

and there are also people that maybe spent 100 - 300 for jedi revan, got on the meta train at the right time and maybe havent spent at all this year
    but could they have done it to get every meta without spending once on jedi revan?
    maybe, maybe not (most likely not)

so with a low, good thought out investment you have way better chances to beat events than completely f2p player, but they invested into their progress which lead to the ability to beat events later on
    and only cg knows how many are out there that actually got GAS without spending a penny at all

i dont blame high spenders, low spenders or f2p
    everyone has the right to pay or not pay however he wants
    but claiming to beat an event without money investment, while spending anywhere in their swgoh lifespan, is simply not true
  • Options
    frackme_21 wrote: »
    The reward should be worth the effort and resources you put into it. GIving someone an unusable toon that they then have to farm for months to get them usable (unless you're a hoarder) in exchange for having 10 - 15 characters geared to the max is a slap in the face to the players.

I have malak, who is servicable once you get him to 6*, but flounders against relic teams. To get that i had to build up a bunch of old republic characters that have 0 chance of being useful anywhere. You can't use them on defense, because any tm team (cls, palp, jtr) can beat them without them even taking a turn. And they're useless on offense, yet i have them all at g12 so i could get malak just to wait months to get him to 7*

Some counter points. Malak at 5 star many people have said was very useful during the first couple of times the event ran. Now that we're on round 3, yes of course the 5* Malak is falling behind because everyone else has had time to 7*. You're looking at it from the standpoint of people unlocking it right now vs when it came out, so that's not a fair look.

Old republic is an OK team for Grand Arena, it depends on your setup. If you have a BH team then they won't be using JTR on your Old Republic because they'll use it on BH, etc. Old Republic's not a great team, but I wouldn't say useless.
  • Options
    Id rather a nice mixture and balance of all of the types of releases

Marquee should be for the generic characters without names and useless characters like Rose, not for Jango, Sion and Nihilus
  • TVF
    36638 posts Member
    Options
    useless characters like Rose

Disagree.
  • Options
    useless characters like Rose

Disagree.

Okie doke what's your rose team, who's she form a good team with? At no point have I ever seen her in any team in any mode in this game. I wouldn't know she existed if I didn't see her on my list of characters not yet 7*