GAC is broken

Prev1
I'd love to see CG actually tell us what GAC is supposed to prove because "who's the best in the galaxy" is completely bogus. The current #7 ranked account in Kyber is a 4.5m GP account. Based on how CG sold us GAC, that account is better than all of MAW and TI. There are only 2 accounts in the top 10 of Kyber above 5m GP. Did all those 4.7-5.0m GP accounts face 6m GP accounts in GAC? Most likely no. GAC is a joke and a farce.

This isn't about me, I've screwed up plenty of my matches and am not trying to say I deserve to be at the top. It's about what Grand Arena Championship is supposed to represent.

Replies

• Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    That guy at 7th is better at utilizing his roster than those with higher GP

Higher GP =/= Better player

GAC is great and it’s just the start, can’t wait for inter-guild GAC and other ideas they have

• Options
    #1 - as the initial Grand Arena announcement said, there were going to be multiple steps/phases to the Grand Arena process to determine who's the best....they made it pretty clear that was something they were building towards rather than something that would be instantly answered. #2 - determining who is the best player is different from determining who has the best roster....you determine the best players by having players compete against similar rosters....just because someone has a better roster, often from simply playing the game over a longer period and/or spending money, that doesn't make them the better player.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    That guy at 7th is better at utilizing his roster than those with higher GP

Higher GP =/= Better player

GAC is great and it’s just the start, can’t wait for inter-guild GAC and other ideas they have

sorry but you are wrong. There are a lot of very good players with big GP accounts. They are just facing other big GP accounts and don't have the luxury of "utilizing their rosters" in the same way that guy with a 4.5m GP account.
  • Options
    Players: OMG THIS GAME IS ALL ABOUT WHALES IF YOU DON'T SPEND YOU'RE WHALE FOOD WHY DO WE EVEN PLAY????

CG: Hey here's a game mode that allows you to test your roster against similar rosters to see how you fair and the rankings are based off your performance instead of how much GP you have

Players: OMG THIS GAME IS SO UNFAIR MY ROSTER IS WAY BETTER THAN SOMEONE RANKED ABOVE ME I COULDN'T BEAT A SIMILAR ROSTER SO I WANT TO FIGHT WORSE ROSTERS!
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    Forums: "I don't like something, therefore it is broken"
    Reality: "That's not what broken means"
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Players: OMG THIS GAME IS ALL ABOUT WHALES IF YOU DON'T SPEND YOU'RE WHALE FOOD WHY DO WE EVEN PLAY????

CG: Hey here's a game mode that allows you to test your roster against similar rosters to see how you fair and the rankings are based off your performance instead of how much GP you have

Players: OMG THIS GAME IS SO UNFAIR MY ROSTER IS WAY BETTER THAN SOMEONE RANKED ABOVE ME I COULDN'T BEAT A SIMILAR ROSTER SO I WANT TO FIGHT WORSE ROSTERS!

as I said in my post it isn't about me. but hey you be you with your all caps
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Forums: "I don't like something, therefore it is broken"
    Reality: "That's not what broken means"

it's broken because they said the format was going to determine who the best players are. if the mode doesn't use Win/Losses to group players how can it truly determine who's the best.
  • Options
    It makes perfect sense to match people of equal roster strength against each other and see who is better at utilizing what he has (what to set on def, what to keep for off and which teams to use on the def of your opponent).
    Where would be the "test of skills" in people with 100x g13 and relic'd chars getting matched against someone that has maybe 15x g13 and only some relic'd chars? (Yes, there are reports of such uneven matchups but I assume these are EXTREMELY rare)

However there is a big problem concerning GAC ranking and that is the fact that you need to be lucky o which kind of opponents you face in order to get a top ranking. Some people are setting a weaker defense and focus more on a high score on offense while other players are going for a heavy defense (and some are so b hurt that they intentionally try to ruin their opponents score). If you get too many of the latter people as opponents it'll be impossible to get a top ranking (speaking of top 20 or even top 10).
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    garbage rewards = garbage game mode.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

for the effort and time, the rewards are really bad.
  • Options

The rewards are horrible, that's true. But calling it a garbage game mode just because of that? I don't know. There are many people that enjoy this game mode just for the sake of the competition and to see where they end up just like TW.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    You want Relic Arena Championships? Because this mentality is how you get it.
  • Options
    You want Relic Arena Championships? Because this mentality is how you get it.

I want Matchmaking to be banded by W/L and GP. As you move up in the weeks the competition gets harder. right now you can face the same people every week and Wins and losses don't matter.
  • Options
    Yohann,

I agree with your statement that GAC isn't about determining who the best of the best is.

For example, my roster was quite focused on PvP meta teams to the point where I had very little fat around the edges. The result of this was that my pairings in GAC are often with much broader and mature accounts simply because I'm matched with GP at the top of the spear (60/80 top characters).

Now, this isn't even the primary issue because I'm sure people will point out that those 60-80 characters are what matters most in GAC.

My issue is that because I'm being paired with much higher GP and mature rosters, that the mod differential is really what the issue is. For example, my last round of GAC matches, I have 110 6e mods whereas my average opponent has 300+ 6e. Additionally, I have 18x 20+ speed mods but 0x 25+ speed mods and my opponents typically have 30-40x 20+ speed mods and 10x 25+ speed mods.

TLDR; GAC issues are less about the GP and more about the discrepancy of mods.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

The rewards are horrible, that's true. But calling it a garbage game mode just because of that? I don't know. There are many people that enjoy this game mode just for the sake of the competition and to see where they end up just like TW.

I don't see a point in taking so much time just to see where I'm at vs some randoms in a mode with awful rewards that is still full of cheaters and bad match-ups. TW rewards need to be fixed too. the difference between first and second are tiny, so what's the point?

I mean, I obv do both, but especially with GAC, their supposed new ("") flagship creation, they need to make it worth doing.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Everybody hates kyro right?

Also everybody hates playing the game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    huhn?
  • Options
    Think of it like college football (American football) when a power 5 conference school pays a small school to play them and then wins by 50 points. Fans get that rush from winning (and winning big) and completely ignore the fact that their school essentially paid for a win.

Sure MM is better in this iteration than pervious, but each GAC, I’ve had at least 2 opponents that I actually felt bad to be matched against. And then there’s 1 or 2 that I look at their roster and just ask myself “how in the world am I going to beat this guy?”

MM is set up to give a benefit and advantage to paying players so they get that rush from winning more often. It won’t change unless CG somehow gets a metric that shows a better system will generate more revenue.

And to preempt any arguments, GP weights old and new characters the same, but those 3 year old rebels are not nearly as capable of winning a battle as toons from the past year (I just ran into with rebels being my last team against scoundrels). And paying players are capable of gearing toons faster than f2p. So while someone like me might have g10/11 rebels at the bottom end of my top 80 (from being geared 2 years ago), a paying player will have g10/11 scoundrels, OR, new age BH, etc. at the bottom of their top 80.
  • Options
    Total GP has nothing to do with being the best. Winning GAC matches is all about roster utilization, farming the right toons, knowing and executing the proper counters. You can buy power in this game, but you can't buy the knowledge and skill that's required to properly use it.
  • Options
    Krakens / whales just need their own divisions: 5+, 5,25+, 5,5+, etc - then some/most MAW / TI / whoever will have chances for Kyber & top places and everyone will be happy, pretty easy solution.
  • Options
    Are you saying all 5M+ accounts are Krakens or Whales?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    @yohann269
    All the ranking tells you is how each player scored in the GAC. The rankings don't tell you who is the stronger player or who has the stronger roster etc. What did you expect?
  • Options
    GAC hurts peoples egos
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Never worry about it. Half the time I forget it is even going on, and I like the game mode lol. That says more about than you though. I'm getting old and my brain is functioning less.
  • Options
    what would be most fair would be to take mods out of the equation in these battles and just purely use the characters base stats. That'll show who has more skill, not who has spent more money funding god-tier mods
  • Options
    what would be most fair would be to take mods out of the equation in these battles and just purely use the characters base stats. That'll show who has more skill, not who has spent more money funding god-tier mods

I have great mods whithout ever spending a penny on them. Why would I want to give up that advantage.

Terrible idea.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

So let me start with this... I HATE MODS. That being said, nope, no way, no how. Mods are in the game and they dont necessarily have anything to do with money spent. Sure, someone that spends a ton can have more chances at slicing mods but that's doesnt mean they all have great mods.

If it's in the game use it, no holds..