5000 Crystals...It's a trap

As I'm lazy I'm pulling math from another thread....

330*15 = 4950 shard shop currency. It's 110 G12 salvage, or 55 G12+ salvage, or ~160 stun guns/carbanti/etc through shard shop. Worse than buying it directly.

As an example 150 stun guns are 1,300 crystals so 150 of them is 3,900. 10 more for 260 brings the total price tag up to 4,160. Add in the fact that if you wanted to actually farm stun guns through shard shop it would take you forever to find that many available.

Chances are likely you will land a toon you already have or don't need/want given the huge number of toons in the pack. For veteran players your chances of pulling shard shop currency only go up. I guess I would agree that for a new player your chances of getting a usable toon go up, but still if that's your target audience I kind of feel like you're taking advantage of them.

Happy anniversary CG. Way to disguise a "gift" for us as a gift for you. I mean why do this? The pack you gave for free was great. Leave it at that. Let it wash over us in good will. Then you go and introduce this one thing because you couldn't help yourselves and add a bit of bad taste to it all. The easy thing for us all is to ignore it and I of course will, but there's a number of players out there that will be **** into this and it's a shame.

Oh wait. I'd better go. I see TVF lurking in the shadows ready to pounce. Exit stage right.......

Replies

• Options
    They've made it clear that their focus now is on new players, and so this is actually pretty solid, rng-willing, for those players.
  • Options
    Anyone bought this pack?
  • Options
    Anyone bought this pack?
    It's very useful just very expensive, I might get it. MIGHT

This is... SPARTAAAAAAA
  • Ultra
    11521 posts Moderator
    Options
    This pack is obviously meant for newer players rather than elder players

It’s not for everyone but it’s a great pack for those who qualify for it
  • Options
    I don't understand complaints about this. It's a pack for sale. If you don't like it, don't buy it 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Compared to their other prices this is decent...maybe for a new player. It’s basically $35 US for 1 character to 7*. Personally, that’s way too high for me.
  • Options
    I'm not saying they need Wat shards in it or whatever, but because of the fact that you're going to end up with a character like Jedi Guardian or Ugnaut it isn't even that good for newer players. The odds are just a little too low that it might provide a toon that's even remotely useful
  • Options
    I thought for a second they would give this pack away for free... hahah. I would have been fun to compare who got what between guild members. I guess they dont want fun.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    They called the pack a gift?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    I won't buy it since it would be a bad deal for me. Isn't a free market great?
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    This pack is obviously meant for newer players rather than elder players

It’s not for everyone but it’s a great pack for those who qualify for it

I would get it if I had just started the game.... and then be extra **** that the Jedi Consular dropped.....
  • Options
    I have been burnt every time I save up crystals to buy a pack. I usually end up with the fewest amount of shards for one I already have. It's way too risky if you can't choose who you want...
    I'd pass..
  • Options
    It's crap. For everyone except krakens.

Long term players? VERY likely to get 330 shards of someone you already got = 4950 shard shop currency. You might aswell do 3x cantina refreshs @ 300 crystals/day for ~17 days and farm the KRU node (KRU + Silencer) and get 180 KRU + 180 Silenecer shards (30% drop rate) for 6120 shard shop currency which is ~23% more than you'd get from the 5000 crystal pack.

New players? It's a gamble on getting a useful character that is not farmable from one of the various stores (too lazy to evaluate but it's probably going to be 30% good chars and 70% bad ones) and how on earth is a new player going to shake 5000 crystals out of his sleeve on a gamble? That's just nonsense.

Krakens? Well, they just burn high 5 up to 6 digit $ numbers on this game so 5k crystals don't bother them at all.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    The usefulness for new players is highly dubious. The odds of getting a non-farmable character are pretty darn low to the point that you may want to consider gamblers anonymous if you bought one. What else could one do with 5,000 crystals if one were a new player? Hmm. If there were only more useful characters that could be farmed with refreshes and along the way also maybe pick up some gear or cantina energy.....

If the aim is at newer players who haven't learned the system yet then it's really taking advantage of them. Maybe a pack for 2,500 would be better getting a bulk buy discount and I'd better more veterans would buy in for shard shop currency. But hey what do I know?

As I said I'll not be buying it and anyone can chose not to participate in the "fun", but if you look at what it was intended as, a gift or fun purchase for an anniversary celebration and then you actually look to see what it is,it leaves a bad taste is all. But hey have a sip of this Kool-aid and carry on.

The other gift was great. Loved the 3 Chewie shards. If that were missed it wouldn't have felt right.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    there's a verrrrrrrrry easy way to avoid getting "crap" from these packs.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    Hello OP. I hope you are enjoying this fine Tuesday as much as I am.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Hello OP. I hope you are enjoying this fine Tuesday as much as I am.

I am now my friend. It would have spoiled my weekend if you didn't show.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    I am filled with joy at this news.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I aim to please.
  • Options
    MntMan wrote: »

Oh wait. I'd better go. I see TVF lurking in the shadows ready to pounce. Exit stage right.......

🤣 Its funny because its true.
  • Options
    The pack is not good even for new people as it can easily give you a junk character, even the packs that cost $50 are better because you know what your actually getting, no gamble at all nor a risk of getting something crappy you don’t want.

The current $60 “Power Up” bundle pack atleast gives you 5 different character shards, the gear items, and helps you get their abilities to atleast 3, and gear 5 for all of them. That in my opinion is a much better buy since your getting some quality characters, and you know what your getting is decent.
  • Options
    I think this pack priced too high, but, I can see where for a brand new 1st month player there might be SOME use.

1. Basically, 7* means you can zone into Guild Heroic raids for credit. = Early start on Han/GK.

2. If they are even close to useful as a character, having 7* on Arena team when everyone else has 2-4 will also give you an early edge.

The price is less than 2 of those Chomium Megas which give you 8 characters.
    So call it 15 Character chances for about the same crystal price v/s 330 shards.
    The typical Chromium is 10-12 IIRC but you get at least 2 full 2* from 2 packs & often more.

Call it a 3* & a 2* in one pack & a 3* in the other for a total of 125 + 11 shards average for the next 12.
    Gets you 257 shards or so.

Its not great but again, might be useful for someone just starting out in there first 30 days.