GAC match ups

delisleba
27 posts Member
edited November 2019
Really sucks to get crushed every week in GAC. Can u please do better I'm ready to give up. It used to be fun when it first started but now it's a joke. Please do better. If we finish 7-8 every week can we start getting matchs against other ppl who finish 7-8th and then make matchs harder after we win a few?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    You should do eventually. You’ll only ever be drawn with people in the same league as you, so the people who win games will end up in Aurodium etc.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    delisleba wrote: »
    If we finish 7-8 every week can we start getting matchs against other ppl who finish 7-8th and then make matchs harder after we win a few?

This is how leagues work. You are matched with other players with similar total score in the previous GAS.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Alternatively you could post a link to your profile on swgoh.gg and ask for help to improve.
  • Options
    You should do eventually. You’ll only ever be drawn with people in the same league as you, so the people who win games will end up in Aurodium etc.

This is incorrect. See the other thread on this that I started today with photo evidence. Match up is between two different league levels and the higher ranked player is at top of the higher league. This should absolutely be a criteria for match making, but it simply isn’t
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

This is incorrect. See the other thread on this that I started today with photo evidence. Match up is between two different league levels and the higher ranked player is at top of the higher league. This should absolutely be a criteria for match making, but it simply isn’t

Curiously you didn't talk about cross league matchmaking there, so I'll reply here. Your screenshot was not taken when the matchmaking was made. At that time for example in div 2 there was a single person in aerodium and noone in div 1 I think. These folk in your screenshot, they are div1-2 folk, right?
  • Options

No, it's not. At the moment of matchmaking everyone is in the same league, some just promote to a higher league after setting defense.

If you lose all your matches you won't have aurodium opponents.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Please don't spread misinformation like this. When matchmaking occured, the players were in the same league. During the GA, one player promoted to aurodium league. Since only few players had advanced to aurodium league, that player was of course among the top ranking players in aurodium league.

Agan:
    Please stop spreading misinformation.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    If we finish 7-8 every week can we start getting matchs against other ppl who finish 7-8th and then make matchs harder after we win a few?

This is how leagues work. You are matched with other players with similar total score in the previous GAS.

I would like to see some evidence to back this up.
  • Options

Lots of others have come to my aid, but you are the one who is incorrect.

In both the second and 3rd GA of the current GAC, I have promoted immediately after the matchmaking took place by setting my defence for the first match. I checked each time - we were all in same league when matchmaking was done, but I soon promoted. My bet is that this happens each and every time someone thinks they've been matched with people in another league.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »

Seriously? Ok. Just for you, then:

Players from a division are divided into leagues of players with similar scores in the previous GAs. Matchmaking matches players from same division and league.

I thought, this was basic knowledge.

Yes, everything is reset at the start of a new GAC (leagues, divisions, scores...). That goes without saying explicitly.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Players from a division are divided into leagues of players with similar scores in the previous GAs. Matchmaking matches players from same division and league.

Yes, everything is reset at the start of a new GAC (leagues, divisions, scores...). That goes without saying explicitly.

Ah, so you mean individual GAs, not the whole GAC. That makes sense, sorry for the confusion. I think I saw someone somewhere claiming that lifetime banners play a role in matchmaking, so I was interested to see if it's true.
  • Options

This is arguably not true, depending on your definition of "similar". In my division at least (Div 2), it is extremely easy to get to bronzium after week 1 (but impossible to get chromium), and extremely easy to get chromium after week 2 (but nearly impossible, maybe impossible to get aurodium). Things do diverge a bit going into the last week. But in weeks 2 and 3, the only folks left out of the top matchmaking pool are those purposely tanking, accidentally missed a join button, or doing abysmally awful. Anyone making even a modest effort will be in the same pool as the #1 player.
  • Options

That's the problem. The reset! It keeps those who are constantly winning in matches they will always win A sorta or reverse favoritism. Instead of them actually being challenged for those rewards that are basically being handed to them. Meanwhile the rest that are stuck at the bottom will remain on bottom thus never making it higher. So thier is no incentive to keep going/trying/spending. Forever and always falling behind the curve that was there prior to GAC.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Ah, so you mean individual GAs, not the whole GAC. That makes sense, sorry for the confusion. I think I saw someone somewhere claiming that lifetime banners play a role in matchmaking, so I was interested to see if it's true.

No problem. I'm glad, we understand each other now :-)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Keydash1 wrote: »

This is arguably not true, depending on your definition of "similar". In my division at least (Div 2), it is extremely easy to get to bronzium after week 1 (but impossible to get chromium), and extremely easy to get chromium after week 2 (but nearly impossible, maybe impossible to get aurodium). Things do diverge a bit going into the last week.

Check the leader boards. There are plenty of players in bronzium an chromium leagues still and less in aurodium here halfway through the 3rd GA. There quite a bit of divergence already by now.
    But in weeks 2 and 3, the only folks left out of the top matchmaking pool are those purposely tanking, accidentally missed a join button, or doing abysmally awful. Anyone making even a modest effort will be in the same pool as the #1 player.

Let's do some math (with rough estimates):

For players on top ranks 6 full clear victories during the first 2 GAS will earn you approximately 6 x (1900 + 1600) points = 21k points. The threshold for aurodium is 23.5k.

For players on lowest ranks 6 losses, assuming only 2 zones cleared each round, will earn you approximately 6 x 1350 points = 8.1k points. The threshold for chromium is 11.5 k. (some losing players don't even bother attacking, and hence score even less.)

Those players will not be matched during the 3rd GA. But yes, players that won 2 rounds during the first 2 GAS risk being matched with players who won all 6 rounds. Whether that's enough divergence or not, is a matter of opinion, but leagues at least have some effect on matchmaking already by the third GA of the 4.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    TRanger wrote: »

That's the problem. The reset! It keeps those who are constantly winning in matches they will always win A sorta or reverse favoritism. Instead of them actually being challenged for those rewards that are basically being handed to them. Meanwhile the rest that are stuck at the bottom will remain on bottom thus never making it higher.

They get a new chance to climb higher every GAC. If the reset is removed, the rankings will actually become less and less dynamic for every GAC. If you rank low after 5 GACs, but then you make some significant improvements to your roster or strategy, it may take several GACs for you to climb to the higher ranks, that reflect your new strength/ability.
    So thier is no incentive to keep going/trying/spending. Forever and always falling behind the curve that was there prior to GAC.

I believe the incentive is higher with a dynamic system (frequent resets). You see the results of your efforts much faster.

• Options
    Thanks Waqui, I have increased my roster strength..but it has and still ends the same every GAC. Maybe once or twice an improvement. I haven't screen shotted everything ..so I can't prove it. But your explanation sounds solid. Thanks!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    :-)
  • Options

Check the leader boards. There are plenty of players in bronzium an chromium leagues still and less in aurodium here halfway through the 3rd GA. There quite a bit of divergence already by now.

But when the current week matches were set, there were zero players in aurodium. I can't tell from the leader boards how many are in bronzium, or how many started in bronzium and have moved to chromium. But I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of players started in chromium.

Let's do some math (with rough estimates):

For players on top ranks 6 full clear victories during the first 2 GAS will earn you approximately 6 x (1900 + 1600) points = 21k points. The threshold for aurodium is 23.5k.

For players on lowest ranks 6 losses, assuming only 2 zones cleared each round, will earn you approximately 6 x 1350 points = 8.1k points. The threshold for chromium is 11.5 k. (some losing players don't even bother attacking, and hence score even less.)

Those players will not be matched during the 3rd GA. But yes, players that won 2 rounds during the first 2 GAS risk being matched with players who won all 6 rounds. Whether that's enough divergence or not, is a matter of opinion, but leagues at least have some effect on matchmaking already by the third GA of the 4.

1-5 with a few 3 zone clears would probably hit Chromium. Yes there is some divergence, but not nearly as much as there should be.more like 13k.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Pile wrote: »
    Whale hard, harder, hardest.

Except whaling does no good for your gac.
  • Options
    No_Try wrote: »
    Whale hard, harder, hardest.

Except whaling does no good for your gac.

Whaling on mods does just fine

True.