Offense percentage vs base number

Which offense secondary should I be focusing on? Is the offense percentage generally better than the whole number when looking at secondary stats or the other way around? Or does it differ for characters. I assume toons with a higher base offense benefit more from the percent but Im not sure

Replies

• Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    So before 6E mods, the flat secondaries are better. After 6E mods %secondaries are better if the offense is high enough, which it will be if they are an attacker since 6e requires g12.

So the answer is @ g12 or higher w/6e mods % is better, up until then flat ones are.

EDIT: though some characters may need g13 or more for % to be better
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The threshold for choosing one or the other is 2958 base damage using 6 dot mods

1 secondary flat max at 6 dot is a bit more than 50
    1 secondary % at 6 dot is 1.69%

50/0.0169= 2958.579
    So above that value % is better. Below that value + is better.

The threshold for actual secondary varies, but knowing the max can help to decide.
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Juzz wrote: »
    The threshold for choosing one or the other is 29585 base damage using 6 dot mods

1 secondary flat max at 6 dot is a bit more than 50
    1 secondary % at 6 dot is 1.69%

50/0.0169= 29585.79
    So above that value % is better. Below that value + is better.

The threshold for actual secondary varies, but knowing the max can help to decide.

ummmm. No. Sorry.

Base damage has nothing to do with which is better.
    Base damage comes from offense X ability damage multiplier.

Something could have a really low offense and a really high ability multiplier and reach your base damage threshold and still actually be better off using flat secondaries over % secondaries.

So using base damage is including a variable that confuses the issue. It's all about the physical or special damage stat (depending which your character is attacking with). As we can see the maximum secondary values for offense are as follows:

image0.png

Which means that the breakpoint is at X * .0846 = 253 or 253/.0846= 2990.54

Now mods can not see increases from mods or stat gains from incomplete gear tiers. So if you are G12 +3 they won't see anything from the +3 only the G12 so when figuring out your current offense if you are in between gear levels it becomes necessary to add up the values on your currently equipped gear and subtract them from your physical/special damage to determine exactly where you are at.

2990 physical/special damage (not counting currently equipped gear pieces or mods) is the breakpoint at which offense % secondaries tend to be better than flat secondaries pound for pound.

The ability damage multiplier shouldn't be included since all offense modifies is offense. We should just look at the offense it can affect.

Now not all mod procs are even either so when comparing actual secondaries the offense breakpoint isn't as cut and dry as when calculating from maximums as I have just done, but the formula can be used for any values:

Physical/Special damage breakpoint = Flat offense secondary X Percent offense secondary (expressed as a decimal).

If your physical/special damage stat is higher than the breakpoint, the % is better. If it is lower than the breakpoint, the flat is better. If it is basically dead on, well compare the other stats.
  • Juzz
    366 posts Member
    Options
    You are considering all the secondaries being the same type and are adding the extra .6 from linear on each instance. I am considering each instance.
    Anyways as is top end value, you'll never get to the 253 max. 2958 is what I meant (was an error of wrinting as i had to change comma for point and did it wrong, it was less that 2 mins after posting that I saw the wrong decimal point placed and edited).

2958 vs 2990 is not that much anyway.

I wasn't including any ability multipliers.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • Options
    If you are taking the toon high, go%
  • Options
    You are considering all the secondaries being the same type and are adding the extra .6 from linear on each instance. I am considering each instance.
    Anyways as is top end value, you'll never get to the 253 max. 2958 is what I meant (was an error of wrinting as i had to change comma for point and did it wrong, it was less that 2 mins after posting that I saw the wrong decimal point placed and edited).

I am not assuming all secondaries are the same. I calculated the max, and then provided a formula for specific secondaries.
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »

I am not assuming all secondaries are the same. I calculated the max, and then provided a formula for specific secondaries.

This is why you are my go-to for the stat calculations in this game :D

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, if I'm choosing between a flat bonus and percent, I use this:

X = (Flat Offense Mod Bonus) / (% Offense Mod Bonus)

If Character Offense > X, then use the % bonus

If Character Offense < X, then use the flat bonus

To the OP, it seems like almost any G13 (at any relic level) will benefit from "equal" Offense % vs. Flat Offense secondaries, if you're looking for a general rule.
  • Options
    Dryff wrote: »
    Woodroward wrote: »

This is why you are my go-to for the stat calculations in this game :D

Just so I'm understanding this correctly, if I'm choosing between a flat bonus and percent, I use this:

X = (Flat Offense Mod Bonus) / (% Offense Mod Bonus)

If Character Offense > X, then use the % bonus

If Character Offense < X, then use the flat bonus

To the OP, it seems like almost any G13 (at any relic level) will benefit from "equal" Offense % vs. Flat Offense secondaries, if you're looking for a general rule.
    Right on the money.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, really helped out a lot