How matchmaking on TW/GAC really work

GJO
172 posts Member
Somebody knows?

I believe GAC refers to the 80 powerful PG toons only. Or something like that.

But TW? Is pure PG?

Replies

• Options
    GJO wrote: »
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

All they have ever confirmed, to my knowledge, is that TW matches on active power (only guild members who joined the war).
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

All they have ever confirmed, to my knowledge, is that TW matches on active power (only guild members who joined the war).

Also, only units above 6000 power, and I believe at one point it was supposed to weigh the best players (or maybe teams) in the guild heavier than others. I don’t know if that second part was ever implemented or if it’s still in effect.
  • Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

Also, only units above 6000 power, and I believe at one point it was supposed to weigh the best players (or maybe teams) in the guild heavier than others. I don’t know if that second part was ever implemented or if it’s still in effect.
    If it ever was it certainly isn’t now.

It does count units below 6000 power for matchmaking, you just can’t use them in battles.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

It does count units below 6000 power for matchmaking, you just can’t use them in battles.

Yep, that's true.

I believe is purely active PG. Therefore, going broad don't reflect on GAC, but it does on TW
  • Options
    Multiply the number of squads you can set on defence by 2. Then multiply that number by 5. That number - then becomes the top X gp that you are matched with in grand arena.
  • Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

Devs stated.... once upon a time cant find it now... that tw is based on registered gp over 6000. I definitely remember this 100% we even have old tw notes saying not to take gp over 6k for tw to make better matchups.

Some may call this sandbagging but we call it a more familiar term, strategy.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

Devs stated.... once upon a time cant find it now... that tw is based on registered gp over 6000. I definitely remember this 100% we even have old tw notes saying not to take gp over 6k for tw to make better matchups.

But you can see, your active PG if you enter TW with 50 ppl is the same of your guild, they aren't taking out these under-6kPG-toons
  • Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

But you can see, your active PG if you enter TW with 50 ppl is the same of your guild, they aren't taking out these under-6kPG-toons

How can I see?

There is no "active gp" number in game that players can reference.

The active GP above 6k is used by the matchmaking algorithm, it's not displayed in game for you to cross reference.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

How can I see?

The active GP above 6k is used by the matchmaking algorithm, it's not displayed in game for you to cross reference.

Is not this one?

6njuuqbdjt9c.png
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

How can I see?

Is not this one?

6njuuqbdjt9c.png

My comment is not at all relevant to the thread, just wanted to give you kudos for being bilingual. Especially with a different alphabet.
  • Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

How can I see?

Is not this one?

6njuuqbdjt9c.png

i tried to post this same screenshot in english (just in case anyone tried ignoring evidence they can't understand), but it got eaten by the "approval process". So to confirm this idea further I went in and compared the change in the Active GP number before and after joining TW. It went up by the same amount of my total GP.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

How can I see?

Is not this one?

6njuuqbdjt9c.png

That GP is just used to determine rewards bracket, as far as I know.
  • Options
    i thought GAC was top 65 toons now?
  • Options
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

How can I see?

Is not this one?

6njuuqbdjt9c.png

It is not that one. Correct.

That GP is total gp registered and it is used for rewards bracket, NOT for matchmaking.

Matchmaking is based on that GP but any units below 6k are not counted towards the match being made.

We do not have visibility to the registered gp over 6k that is used for matchmaking, this is why discord bots commonly show large swings in gp in tw because the discord bot is using total gp listed in the game not the actual gp registered and above 6k.
  • Options
    GAC matchmaking isn’t perfect but it’s a lot better now than when it was pure gp.

I wish they would do the same for TW, we are an independent f2p more casual guild with a decent gp but we get consistently matched against much more focused guilds that routinely trounce us. It isn’t even fun.

I’ve asked in the Q&A but to my knowledge it’s never been addressed by the devs and I get the sense it isn’t on the to-do list.
  • Options
    GAC matchmaking isn’t perfect but it’s a lot better now than when it was pure gp.

I wish they would do the same for TW, we are an independent f2p more casual guild with a decent gp but we get consistently matched against much more focused guilds that routinely trounce us. It isn’t even fun.

I’ve asked in the Q&A but to my knowledge it’s never been addressed by the devs and I get the sense it isn’t on the to-do list.

Yes looking at the top 80 characters for all 50 members then matching on that gp would be much much better than the current 6k arbitrary cutoff used in tw...., plus 6k is dated and a 7k or 8k even 10k power character is essentially just as useless as a g1 lvl1 0k gp character.

I agree with ya 100%
  • Options
    Nadebotfm wrote: »
    i thought GAC was top 65 toons now?
    depends of division.
    its the number of toons to have a full squad on D on every spot and one full squad of A on every spot. different div got different number of char squads

• GJO
    172 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Lio wrote: »
    Somebody knows?

But TW? Is pure PG?

How can I see?

Is not this one?

6njuuqbdjt9c.png

My comment is not at all relevant to the thread, just wanted to give you kudos for being bilingual. Especially with a different alphabet.

I'm Brazilian. I speak Russian because I'm married to a Russian girl.
    :-)

Edit: BlueStacks is installed on her PC
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    Options

Same here. Sandbagging all the time.

In order to get a fair matchmaking we need to block 5 to 6 ppl from TW.
  • Options
    I completely forgot about the arbitrary nature of the 6k requirement.

Or Even if instead of doing a set quantity of the top toons like gac - make it based on number of characters over a higher gp threshold like 15k which would make it a bit more relevant.

Pretty much any additional criteria would be an improvement.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Or Even if instead of doing a set quantity of the top toons like gac - make it based on number of characters over a higher gp threshold like 15k which would make it a bit more relevant.

C'mon, is pretty easy. Just add a multiplier to meta toons PG.
    GAS, Nego and Malevolence would worth 20x his own PG
    Malak, Hound's Tooth, Mil F would worth 10x his own PG
    JKR, DR, Padme, GG 5x his own PG

There it is, it would bring some balance. Or something like that.
  • Options
    Didnt you quit the game like 3 times already?you act like you know everything then why do you even ask questions?
  • Options

And anyone who suggests a different measuring value for meta characters again should have their matchmaking GP doubled.

One of the perks of unlocking meta characters on the first run is the advantage of using them against those who don't manage to do so. If you'd only fight similarly meta-heavy rosters (or barely any meta characters when you don't have them) what would be the incentive to get ready for unlocking a meta unit the first time?
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    Options
    tman135 wrote: »
    Didnt you quit the game like 3 times already?you act like you know everything then why do you even ask questions?

I have opinions, not answers. If you feel uncomfortable with other ppl opinions, maybe this forum isn't the right place for you. Everybody is entitled to their opinions... I hope.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

And anyone who suggests a different measuring value for meta characters again should have their matchmaking GP doubled.

One of the perks of unlocking meta characters on the first run is the advantage of using them against those who don't manage to do so. If you'd only fight similarly meta-heavy rosters (or barely any meta characters when you don't have them) what would be the incentive to get ready for unlocking a meta unit the first time?

Edit: you made you point about advantage. But you really don't want to test yourself against a opponent equally powerful?
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Edit: you made you point about advantage. But you really don't want to test yourself against a opponent equally powerful?
    I have plenty of occasions to do so with the current system already so why would I want every single match to be like that as long as less developed but similar GP rosters are also fighting for the same GAC and TW rewards in the same league as I do.

Why should a 5m GP player that is still struggling to unlock DR but has r7 ewoks have an easier way to kyber than those who were ready to unlock even GAS the first time around?
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

I have plenty of occasions to do so with the current system already so why would I want every single match to be like that as long as less developed but similar GP rosters are also fighting for the same GAC and TW rewards in the same league as I do.

Why should a 5m GP player that is still struggling to unlock DR but has r7 ewoks have an easier way to kyber than those who were ready to unlock even GAS the first time around?

I don't fight for rewards. I fight for the thrill of victory.
    There's no thrill beating to death such accounts.

In GAC, sometimes I face ppl without JKR, DR and Padme (4.2M). Where's the fun? Sometimes the opponent doesn't show up to fight and give up in advance.

Edit: but sometimes the matchmaking is perfect, winning by 1 or 2 banners in the last fight? THAT'S A VICTORY!!!
  • Options
    I wouldn’t want to face an identical team, just one where the ultimate match up is relatively fair. GP is an arbitrary measure and this seems like the only place where it is still used in any head to head format.