Old Ben revisit

Replies

• Options
    I think a Taunt on Ben would be cool, he is listed as a tank after all. It's really the only way his "If You Strike Me Down" ability truly works. I've used him and he rarely ever gets focused. The AI typically goes after my QGJ, Lumi, or Anakin. If I'm lucky they go after Yoda and just remove Foresight with the GS special. Typically somebody is dead before OB's comes up for a turn. Either that or keep him as is but boost his speed so he's more relevant in a Jedi team. But we don't know how things will shake out in the update, maybe he'll be perfect as-is.
  • Options
    Can anyone say his death ability holds any value to old ben? Perhaps adding a taunt to him while removing his death ability would be the best compromise.
  • Options
    Old for the taunt ftw. No offense, but people who think old Ben is viable is off their rocker. If I am off my rocker please explain why I am off my rocker. I believe you are off your rocker because: old Ben sucks, and here is why: #1 his offense blows we all know that. #2 he's slow as a board.#3 his special is eh ok, nothing to write home about and here is why: ability block for 1 turn, ok? Big whoop. Offense down is pretty good for 2 turns, BUT! He has like 20 potency, his stuff doesn't land too great. So his special works only maybe half, making an eh ok special basically poo. His death ability is nice however, he never dies lol. His massive health pool, his top notch defense, and auto - evade up on strike ability makes him hard to kill and why would anyone kill him in the first place, he is not threatening anyone. Only a dead obi is a good obi. That is why a taunt completes his incomplete kit. Utilize that hp pool, defense, and evade, and possible death. Without a taunt you got not even a one trick pony, you got a half trick pony that resets in 5 turns.
    Foomerang wrote: »
    Here's what you give to ol Benny-boy:

Normal attack gives offense down for 2 turns.
    AOE attack gives buff immunity for 2 turns.
    Increase his potency.

Now you have a tank that is anti Poggle/burst teams and you have to make a tough choice to weather the debuffs or take him out first and weather the buffs.

Put him behind RG lol what a nightmare.

You're spot on there. He was also expensive & is now worthless. And didn't they nerf him once? His leader can be decent, but his Lazarus special is worthless. Fix OB & Plo Koon. It's ridiculous how this game follows no logic from the films...& you can say "it's a game" but no; it's a Star Wars game & if it wasn't, I wouldn't be here. I'm actually getting tired of it quickly & I've spent at least a few hundred & have 50 toons...It's just so repetitive & unrewarding at this point; I've been here since the beginning...I'm over it...And that's fine ;)
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The real problem is that his best move is his death effect but he doesn't die quickly. The actual solution (without destroying him) is to make him less tanky.
    He shouldn't really be tanky anyway, it doesn't make a lot of sense for the character. (He's an old man who hadn't used a lightsaber in 20 years and got killed in his first fight thereafter.) They do try to make designs somewhat match the character and I never got the tankiness here.
    Reduce his HP and armor and he will die faster and it will actually be more difficult to deal with him than he is right now.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    It can be as simple as him having a passive ability where his damage goes up by 10% every time an ally is attacked.
  • Options
    People forget to realize that when you're playing Old Ben in arena the AI will refuse to kill or target him at all, why? Because of his death passive.. I would much rather they get rid of that passive that is never used just for the A.I. to acknowledge he exists and not make it a 4v5....
  • theodrath
    48 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Old for the taunt ftw. No offense, but people who think old Ben is viable is off their rocker. If I am off my rocker please explain why I am off my rocker. I believe you are off your rocker because: old Ben sucks, and here is why: #1 his offense blows we all know that. #2 he's slow as a board.#3 his special is eh ok, nothing to write home about and here is why: ability block for 1 turn, ok? Big whoop. Offense down is pretty good for 2 turns, BUT! He has like 20 potency, his stuff doesn't land too great. So his special works only maybe half, making an eh ok special basically poo. His death ability is nice however, he never dies lol. His massive health pool, his top notch defense, and auto - evade up on strike ability makes him hard to kill and why would anyone kill him in the first place, he is not threatening anyone. Only a dead obi is a good obi. That is why a taunt completes his incomplete kit. Utilize that hp pool, defense, and evade, and possible death. Without a taunt you got not even a one trick pony, you got a half trick pony that resets in 5 turns.
    Here's what you give to ol Benny-boy:

Normal attack gives offense down for 2 turns.
    AOE attack gives buff immunity for 2 turns.
    Increase his potency.

Now you have a tank that is anti Poggle/burst teams and you have to make a tough choice to weather the debuffs or take him out first and weather the buffs.

Put him behind RG lol what a nightmare.

you forgot his most important ability %65 chance %60 turn meter remove.Will be %80 chance at lvl 78 and btw his potency not %20 its %50...
    Ewoks and leia teams right now working well with teebo yet I believe u don't need obi get a stealth team to be best.He is already a beast,easy to beat all teams with him and most of teams dropped yoda ,so giving hard time to opponents still (in defence)..
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jaybayblay wrote: »
    People forget to realize that when you're playing Old Ben in arena the AI will refuse to kill or target him at all, why? Because of his death passive.. I would much rather they get rid of that passive that is never used just for the A.I. to acknowledge he exists and not make it a 4v5....

I don't think that's why -- the AI is too dumb in this game to think that far ahead. It's because he has a ton of health. The AI favors attacking low-HP characters (unless they are healers). Which is one of several reasons why reducing his health by 1/3 would actually make him more useful.
    It's why I plan to unlock him and take him only to level 52 with no gear to try out in GW.
  • Options

+1
  • Options
    I have to agree with the OP on this one. The only reason I'm even thinking about leveling him up is to get Yoda... Otherwise, I'd just leave him alone. The taunt idea is a good one
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    The real problem is that his best move is his death effect but he doesn't die quickly. The actual solution (without destroying him) is to make him less tanky.
    He shouldn't really be tanky anyway, it doesn't make a lot of sense for the character. (He's an old man who hadn't used a lightsaber in 20 years and got killed in his first fight thereafter.) They do try to make designs somewhat match the character and I never got the tankiness here.
    Reduce his HP and armor and he will die faster and it will actually be more difficult to deal with him than he is right now.

When did mind tricks stop being good? I missed this obviously. The death benefit is great, but mind tricks is still a game changer.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When did mind tricks stop being good? I missed this obviously. The death benefit is great, but mind tricks is still a game changer.

I was just focusing on IYSMD. Mind Tricks is of course still good, but not as good as it once was due to tenacity effects and so forth. Dooku can also be used to tie up Ben so he never gets that off.
    I don't see Old Ben anywhere in the top 50 on my shard these days.
  • Options
    Mind tricks is decent, Noone is disputing that. Not spectacular or poor it's probably a 6 or a 7 out of 10 for special viability if I had to rate it.
  • Options
    Tankage wrote: »
    I have to agree with the OP on this one. The only reason I'm even thinking about leveling him up is to get Yoda... Otherwise, I'd just leave him alone. The taunt idea is a good one

He's horrible for Yoda, don't do it. Yoda will smack him down, buff your team, then steal your buffs, not to mention OB wont' even hurt Yoda. Then Yoda will be even more difficult to deal with.

I don't understand the whole Tank piece of it either. If they want to make a Jedi Master Kenobi a tank then okay I could see that (if the make one). He should be easier to kill or have some kind of taunt. I think having some ability similar to ST Han would be pretty cool as a tank. That would force players to either kill him, stun him or ability block him before his turn.
  • Options
    A taunt with strike me down would be too much. If you've ever had his death buff proc you will know it's pretty much a win button
  • Options
    Old Ben's death ability isn't coded properly. When he rose to help it wasn't in the same battle. So when he dies, he should help your NEXT battle. In the middle of it, you'd hear his voice say "Use the Force" and then the next character to attack would be guaranteed a critical hit with massive damage like Opress's Overpower skill.
  • Brimley_Ploom_19
    366 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's because he has a ton of health. The AI favors attacking low-HP characters (unless they are healers). Which is one of several reasons why reducing his health by 1/3 would actually make him more useful.
    It's why I plan to unlock him and take him only to level 52 with no gear to try out in GW.

I see your logic here, but I am wondering, doesn't this still make old ben a giant liability on defense? Though that strategy on offense might just work. It would make more sense to have a taunt skill that was viable on both offense and defense. I just don't think his unique is worth saving as cool as the concept is.

• Brimley_Ploom_19
    366 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It can be as simple as him having a passive ability where his damage goes up by 10% every time an ally is attacked.

This idea sounds sweet. Why, because it would be difficult to know when to take ben down. If you ignored him for too long, his offense would catch up to you and become a real threat later on. If you killed him too soon, THERE is one scenario where his death ability would take affect. Though perhaps 10% might end up being a bit high.

• Options
    """""""""""""""""""Just add his passive refresh mind tricks effects if he is not attacked until his next turn.Simple not op power abuse nor weaken him.Therefore if you strike me down would make sense and be synergic with his other skills. """""""""""""""""
  • Options
    I think there are many good options here; I think the bottom line is that OB needs a tweak. Although I must say that I think his leader ability is looking pretty good for level 80 with Evasion and Turn Meter.
  • Options
    @Darth_Jay77 I know! His leader ability might actually be pretty good. As far as tweaking...the thing that seems to make the most sense is giving the opponent a reason to attack ben. This is the missing piece. As stated by prior posts there are several ways to achieve this: #1 add a passive ability that makes his offense go up every time an ally is attacked, or maybe even when ben isn't attacked. #2 refresh his cool downs if he isn't attacked that turn. #3 add a taunt while removing his death ability.
  • Options
    He might be better in a stealth team on defence as the stealth proc rate will be increased to compensate for the **** AI. Which makes it more likely he will be left as the only targetable toon
  • Options
    A taunt with strike me down would be too much. If you've ever had his death buff proc you will know it's pretty much a win button

No it isn't. Not in the slightest.
  • Options
    theodrath wrote: »
    """""""""""""""""""Just add his passive refresh mind tricks effects if he is not attacked until his next turn.Simple not op power abuse nor weaken him.Therefore if you strike me down would make sense and be synergic with his other skills. """""""""""""""""

This might actually be a good idea! You just need to give Ben something to want people to hit Ben. In GW/Cantina/LS battles, you do not want to lose a character, and if you do it usually is not Ben. In the arena, people just do not go for him until last or second to last.
    I would like to wait until we see how the new gameplay will work and affect all characters before any more changes (they still have PLENTY of bugged characters/moves and stuff/dodge/stun to worry about.) But the "strike me down" - it just is never used in a huge percentage of the game. If I 1* or 2* a mission I still go back and try not to lose anyone so I can sim it.
    He is no where near the most unusable though, just not flashy.
  • Options

I don't think that's why -- the AI is too dumb in this game to think that far ahead. It's because he has a ton of health. The AI favors attacking low-HP characters (unless they are healers). Which is one of several reasons why reducing his health by 1/3 would actually make him more useful.

You don't even play him, but your telling those that do, how it is? Hahaha, typical. If you haven't noticed, the AI has had some improvement, but it's not anything major to program in an aversion to OB... So, unlock him Mr. Know-it-all, and come back here when you get your foot out of your mouth. -cheers
  • Options

This idea sounds sweet. Why, because it would be difficult to know when to take ben down. If you ignored him for too long, his offense would catch up to you and become a real threat later on. If you killed him too soon, THERE is one scenario where his death ability would take affect. Though perhaps 10% might end up being a bit high.

Yeah, That is a good Idea. Magna Guard has that ability, and though, he has no speed, he attacks often because of it.
  • Options
    You don't even play him, but your telling those that do, how it is? Hahaha, typical. If you haven't noticed, the AI has had some improvement, but it's not anything major to program in an aversion to OB... So, unlock him Mr. Know-it-all, and come back here when you get your foot out of your mouth. -cheers

I'm going to go ahead and call "personal attack" here...though I'm no moderator that posts is not necessary here. This is intended for productive conversation. Thanks

• Options
    I think there are many good options here; I think the bottom line is that OB needs a tweak. Although I must say that I think his leader ability is looking pretty good for level 80 with Evasion and Turn Meter.

His leader ability is decent right now...that's the only place I play him. I actually screwed up and played in on my last game of Arena today; in an attempt to take down a top ten Poggle crew... I lost, so now I'm stuck with him in my Arena squad...so I'll probably go from 12th to 200 because of it...oh, he was only six star...I'm screwed... I've already spent a half grand on this silly game, so I've sworn off p4p...so I can't allow myself to get a measly 200 crystals to get out of that trap I set for myself...

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    why not just have his taunt last until the next time he's damaged? the mechanics that cause the taunt to go off can be decided by whatever factor but the taunt essentially only lasts for 1 attack
    mighty chlorians
  • JeighKaeNeither
    243 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I'm going to go ahead and call "personal attack" here...though I'm no moderator that posts is not necessary here. This is intended for productive conversation. Thanks

You go ahead and do that kiddo...do you want to have your daddy call me too? For your own sake, grow a back-bone. And research what a personal attack is. Being called a Know-it-all, especially when you are acting as an authority about something you know nothing about; is a pretty common phrase used by friends with friends, Parents to children etc.

And I just noticed you aren't even the OP. You should really get a life.